New Pro-Gun Laws in Virginia Take Effect this Sunday • PUBLIC SECTION • Media Coverage • Fugitive Recovery Network (FRN) Forums
FRN Banner
wordpress-ad

Post subject: New Pro-Gun Laws in Virginia Take Effect this Sunday
 Post Posted: Sat 30 Jun 2012 17:41 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 1474
Experience: More than 10 years
Copied and paste from the NRA website... also can be viewed at:New Pro-Gun Laws in Virginia Take Effect this Sunday

After another successful legislative session this year in Richmond, law-abiding Virginians will see many important advances in their Second Amendment rights.

The following bills passed in the Virginia General Assembly and signed into law by Governor Bob McDonnell will go into effect on Sunday, July 1:

Senate Bill 563, introduced by state Senator Frank Ruff(R-15), allows for the submission of an initial concealed handgun permit application via U.S. mail and also restricts the clerk and the circuit court from requesting or requiring any information from an applicant other than that which is allowed on the concealed handgun permit application.

House Bill 22, introduced by Delegate Mark Cole (R-88), establishes that no locality or entity may participate in a gun “buyback” program where individuals are given anything of value or money in exchange for surrendering a firearm to the locality, unless the governing body adheres to a strict procedure. Such procedure requires the governing body to first pass an ordinance authorizing the gun “buyback” and also requires that any locality holding gun "buybacks" must sell the firearms to a federally licensed firearms dealer “or be disposed of” in an appropriate manner if they cannot be sold.

House Bill 940 and Senate Bill 323, introduced by Delegate L. Scott Lingamfelter (R-31) and state Senator Bill Carrico (R-40), repeals the prohibition on purchasing more than one handgun per month (gun rationing).

House Bill 20 and Senate Bill 245, introduced by Delegate Tony Wilt (R-26) and state Senator Mark Obenshain (R-26), updates the Emergency Powers statute by adding lawful carrying and transportation to the list of actions that cannot be prohibited during a declaration of emergency.

House Bill 26, introduced by Delegate Mark Cole (R-88), allows a court to waive a $25 dollar fine upon presentation of the permit to the court, if a person fails to display his concealed handgun permit when requested by a law enforcement officer.

House Bill 375, introduced by state Delegate Brenda Pogge (R-96), strengthens the state firearms preemption law by prohibiting local governments from enacting or enforcing workplace rules that prevent an employee of that locality from storing a lawfully possessed firearm or ammunition in their locked personal motor vehicle.

House Bill 754 and Senate Bill 67, introduced by Delegate Ben Cline (R-24) and state Senator Bill Stanley (R-20), removes the option for a locality to require an applicant for a concealed handgun permit to submit fingerprints with the initial application.

Can you tell that I like "GREEN"?

DCJS: 99-176979
Cell: 434-294-0222

"Endeavor to Persevere" "Lone Watie"

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that , comes from bad judgment" "Will Rogers"

Post subject: Re: New Pro-Gun Laws in Virginia Take Effect this Sunday
 Post Posted: Mon 02 Jul 2012 10:09 
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 0
Experience: < 3 years
One handgun a month? Oh my, that must have made it quite difficult when seeing two toys at your local shop that you wanted both of 'em.

Post Posted: Mon 02 Jul 2012 11:23 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 5
Not really. You simply put the other one on layaway.

Post Posted: Mon 02 Jul 2012 18:53 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 1474
Actually, if you held a valid CCP in Virginia, there was no limit imposed. This just lifts the restriction for the ............... normal............ people...

I recall during the "one gun per month" prohibition several years ago... I traded and/or purchased 3 different weapons at a local gun show... and the first thing they did when they ran my name for the second one, was to take a look at my permit. They told me with that, there was no restriction.

This prohibition was fueled, supported and probably brought on by "apparent" multiple gun purchases that "supposedly" were being sent into New York... Mayor Bloomberg was instrumental in having this ban put in place and if fact... one of my good friends and long time gun shop owner, who is now deceased (you may recall a year or so ago... I posted on the death of 'Bob Moates') was involved in a very heated and lengthy debate and legal tussle with Mr. Bloomberg over multiple sales going into New York.

I am very happy to see these laws take effect, hopefully with the support of the NRA and pro gun legislation and supporters nationwide, we can lift many of the unnecessary and often unlawful restrictions and anti gun laws that prevail in many parts of our nation. I won't get on my bandwagon here but once honest law abiding citizens realize that gun laws only effect the law abiding and have basically no effect on law breakers... we may see a bit of easing .... also realized that the guns are not really the problem... it's the idiots that choose to use them in illegal ways.... like blaming the pencil for a misspelled word.... or the car for a drunk drivers accident... although in today's political climate, it may not come to pass....

I have a little sign on the rear glass of my pickup... it reads... "GUNS SAVE LIVES"... you should see some of the looks I get.... good and bad.... although not many people will tailgate me!! :mrgreen: ... and that is all I will say on that note.

... I did have a friend that had a little sticker on his bumper that read... "The driver of this car has a legal firearm"... he said no one even looked at him when he drove into Richmond.... 8) I don't know if I would have been quite that blatant with a sticker on my car.... but he always laughed about it... he also got stopped a few times.... by LE... but never arrested... and he never drove into DC... :oops: :mrgreen:

DCJS: 99-176979
Cell: 434-294-0222

"Endeavor to Persevere" "Lone Watie"

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that , comes from bad judgment" "Will Rogers"

Post Posted: Tue 03 Jul 2012 07:18 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 340
Quote:
like blaming the pencil for a misspelled word.... or the car for a drunk drivers accident...

and do not forget the dastardly . . . SPORK . . .

Do not consider anything for your interest which makes you break your word, quit your modesty, or inclines you to any practice which will not bear the light, or look the world in the face .... Marcus Antonius

I AM Some Folks "KARMA" and A MODERATOR @ FRN

FRN Forums » PUBLIC SECTION » Media Coverage