Eight charged in bail-bond scheme to solicit jail inmates • PUBLIC SECTION • Media Coverage • Fugitive Recovery Network (FRN) Forums
FRN Banner
wordpress-ad

Post subject: Eight charged in bail-bond scheme to solicit jail inmates
 Post Posted: Wed 25 May 2011 09:42 
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3749
Experience: < 1 year
SANTA ANA – A bail bond agent pleaded not guilty Friday in a scheme involving multiple co-defendants to illegally solicit dozens of Orange County Jail inmates as clients in one of the biggest such cases in Orange County.

Cynthia Cheryl Shirey, 42, of Brea is charged with multiple felony counts, including violating bail license regulations by permitting an unlicensed person to solicit and negotiate bail bonds on her behalf, according to the Orange County District Attorney's Office.

Prosecutors have filed 148 counts among eight co-defendants in the case, six of whom were in custody for other crimes during the time the scheme unfolded.

If convicted on all counts, Shirey faces a maximum sentence of 23 years in state prison. She was expected to post $20,000 bail Friday afternoon.

Shirey, a licensed bail bond agent at Plotkin Bail Bonds in Santa Ana worked with Ernesto Perez, 36, of Burbank, also employed by the same company but not a licensed bail bondsman, to solicit inmates at the jail using other inmates, prosecutors said.
Among other charges, she is accused of permitting her unlicensed co-defendants to illegally solicit and negotiate bail bonds on her behalf with inmates, according to a district attorney news release.

The eight co-defendants in the case were connected to the scheme during an 18-month investigation by the Orange County Sheriff's Department.

"The illegal soliciting of inmates by unscrupulous bail bond agents will not be tolerated in our facilities," Sheriff Sandra Hutchens said in a statement.

From Aug. 5, 2010, to March 15, Perez plotted with six of the defendants already in jail to solicit other inmates to contact him to provide their bail, prosecutors said.

Prosecutors say here's how the plan worked: Perez was the main contact for all the inmates and they'd call him for others they solicited. He'd then illegally negotiate on the telephone with the inmates. At times, Shirey would do the negotiations. She would then visit the inmates in jail to get an agreement signed.

Prosecutors are not alleging that Shirey was involved in every transaction Perez was involved in or vice-versa.

When visiting inmates in jail, bail bond agents are required to complete a bail bonds visitation request form, intended to prevent unscrupulous agents from gaining access to the jail to engage in illegal client recruitment, according to a news release from the District Attorney's Office.

http://www.ocregister.com/

COIBE CERT # 11-064
http://warrantrecovery.com/

Education is what you get from reading the small print. Experience is what you get from not
reading it

Post subject: Re: Eight charged in bail-bond scheme to solicit jail inmate
 Post Posted: Wed 25 May 2011 10:21 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3828
Experience: More than 10 years
Now I pray this happens here in Miami Dade, FL.. cause the corruption is out of control with several Bail Bond companies dealing with the Corrections Officers inside the Jail..and hurts the honest Bondsman trying to make a living and doing the job the legal way ..

Greed will eventually get them caught .. and I have more time then money to wait and hope for that day to come..

NABBI Member

"Surprise Sex is the Best Thing to Wake up to, UNLESS, You are in Jail... "

Post Posted: Sun 29 May 2011 20:22 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 1474
Experience: More than 10 years
I have been experiencing this type of activity for years... Virginia DCJS has no teeth.... I wish it did but to date.... complaints to DCJS go unanswered... I know because I have written and called with no response... and the activity continues.

I just posted another story in another thread on FRN... "story out of Virginia"...that took place tonight in one of my jails.... continued rookie bondsman that will do anything to write a bond........... including no cosigner, no money and little else... and then trying to coerce the family into paying after the defendant is released..... happens all the time...............

I do not mind losing a bond in a straight up competition... but unethical, underhanded, backstabbing.... really gets my blood boiling...
I think I will call and confront this bondsman in my case.... just afraid I will lose my composure and then......... well.... of course, I am only an old 'egg mcmuffin' so I guess he is safe... :shock:

DCJS: 99-176979
Cell: 434-294-0222

"Endeavor to Persevere" "Lone Watie"

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that , comes from bad judgment" "Will Rogers"

Post Posted: Mon 30 May 2011 10:52 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 0
Experience: < 1 year
WOW! They got slammed harder then I thought they would!!! I wish this would discourage this type of behavior here, but it wont... the rest will keep doing it until they get caught themselves...

FRN Forums » PUBLIC SECTION » Media Coverage