BONDSMAN HIRED BY ELLIS WAS UNLICENSED • PUBLIC SECTION • Media Coverage • Fugitive Recovery Network (FRN) Forums
FRN Banner
wordpress-ad

Post subject: BONDSMAN HIRED BY ELLIS WAS UNLICENSED
 Post Posted: Sat 14 Jul 2012 14:24 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 4013
Experience: More than 10 years
http://www.troymessenger.com/2012/07/13 ... nlicensed/

Los Angeles, California
(323) 786-FIND

"Approach is Everything."

Post subject: Re: BONDSMAN HIRED BY ELLIS WAS UNLICENSED
 Post Posted: Sun 15 Jul 2012 09:03 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 1474
Quote:
“All the bonds that were done by him were done illegally, so they potentially could have to turn themselves in and rebond through a licensed bonding company,” said Jimmie Lay, co-owner of First Choice Bail Bonds in Jefferson County.

... and what do you suppose the chances of that happening may be???????????????????

"Why sure... I'll be right in and repay the premium or go back to jail... rebond? ... why certainly... give me a minute to get in my car and drive to your office............. " :shock: 8)

... I would think the normal response would simply be............... "see ya!"

DCJS: 99-176979
Cell: 434-294-0222

"Endeavor to Persevere" "Lone Watie"

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that , comes from bad judgment" "Will Rogers"

Post Posted: Sun 15 Jul 2012 13:24 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 340
Could it have very possibly been a simple oversite on the part of the Bondsman ? Here our License expire yearly and there is really no chance of an oversite on anyones part as the packets must be filed in November prior to expiration 12/31 of each year
As I do not personally know anything of the operations in Alabama . . . is there a Board that oversees this type of stuff and who (?) is responsible for sending out Notifications?

Do not consider anything for your interest which makes you break your word, quit your modesty, or inclines you to any practice which will not bear the light, or look the world in the face .... Marcus Antonius

I AM Some Folks "KARMA" and A MODERATOR @ FRN

Post Posted: Sun 15 Jul 2012 20:48 
in memoriam

Quote:
Could it have very possibly been a simple oversite on the part of the Bondsman ?

There is no way a bondsman would forget to renew his license.... absolutely no way.... unless of course he wasn't a real bondsman.... if you do this for a living... you just don't forget to renew a license.... maybe a part-timer or a posting agent that is not totally involved in his business... maybe if he is working a side job and just does the bonds off and on... maybe, but even then.... I think not.

Besides, most states will notify you at least 2 or 3 times and if you are a surety bondsman... the BOI will send you a renewal form at least a year in advance... you have to take continuing education courses every other year and be certified with your gun permit... depending on the state at least every two and in Va... every year on the firearms permit... the surety license every two.... and the BOI sends me these little notices during the renewal year... about every 2 months reminding me that my license will expire on 12/31... nope....it was not an oversight....

Forgetting your renewal is like forgetting your wife or husbands name... it just isn't gonna happen.

One other thing... this bondsman reportedly had over a million outstanding... and this particular bond was for what???? $300,000 plus.... no way he would have forgotten to renew. 8)

and yet another thing.... how is it that the magistrate did not check his credentials and if he was a surety bondsman.... and his license had expired... how is it that he had current powers to write on??? I think the magistrate dropped the ball on this one also.... he certainly should have checked, especially on a bond of this magnitude and on such a serious defendant.

There is a lot going on here... a lot.............. :shock:

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that , comes from bad judgment" "Will Rogers"

Post Posted: Sun 15 Jul 2012 21:01 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Quote:
how is it that he had current powers to write on???

agreed . . . more to the story ?

I do not receive "notices" . . . I get a call from the Office and they say "next time you are in you need to sign your packet, this is usually around late October, early November and then I just go on about my biz til I get my current License in the mail the last week of December. But then, I do not work for a Surety and there are no Surety (Insurance Carriers) here in Arkansas (since 1989). The APBBLB notifies everyone (Companies, Sheriffs and Courts) when anything is up . . . no slipping thru the cracks here.
I bet there is way more to the story than is written and I would venture that the Bondsman that made the statement is probably a competitor.

Jay (Shell) is there anything that you can find out as you are a Bondsman (AL).

Do not consider anything for your interest which makes you break your word, quit your modesty, or inclines you to any practice which will not bear the light, or look the world in the face .... Marcus Antonius

Post Posted: Tue 17 Jul 2012 12:03 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3902
Why is this cat being called a Bondsman? If he has no license, he isn't a Bondsman. I've noticed this same thing in other articles on here. Would they say a cop arrested someone if in fact the person was no longer a cop? Another way of putting this business in a bad light. If I'm missing something here, please correct me.

Asheville NC 28804
828-777-8667
Lic # NC10013561
Lic # TN 2033018

Never be haughty to the humble
or humble to the haughty - Jefferson Davis

Post Posted: Wed 18 Jul 2012 16:09 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 4013
BONDSMAN HIRED BY RAPIST WAS UNLICENSED

http://www.pinewswire.net/article/bonds ... nlicensed/

Los Angeles, California
(323) 786-FIND

"Approach is Everything."

Post Posted: Wed 18 Jul 2012 18:55 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Quote:
The bail bonding agent who attempted to post bond for accused rapist Andre Ellis could now be facing trouble of his own.

I think the Titling of this article and the other are very misleading to the "public" causing them to assume that this party actually bailed outta Jail . . . Not true, according to the articles.

Post Posted: Wed 18 Jul 2012 19:11 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Quote:
Robbyn Brooks JULY 16, 2012 AT 10:06 AM LINK
Hey all,
Just a couple of clarifications and additions that may help explain a few things.

How did the sheriff find out about the license?
From what I understand, the investigation wasn’t as to if the bondsman was licensed or not, but an inquiry was made to the Alabama Department of Insurance to see how much the bondsmand was insured when it came to issuing bonds because the Ellis bonds would put the company at more than $1.2 million in Pike County alone. At that point, again from what I understand, it came to light that the license had expired.

Who is responsible for checking the license?
Each year, at the beginning of the year I believe it is, all companies must prove license with the clerk of courts office. Alternative Justice’s agent did that. All documentation was provided and up to date. The problem arose after that when Collins’ surety agent’s license expired with the Alabama Department of Insurance on March 2. The surety license is renewed according to date of birth and is good for two years. The clerk of court’s office is not notified when surety licenses expire. Notice is sent to the bonding company, only, from what I was told.

I had been asked those questions by a couple of readers and wanted to respond here, too, so that the information was available to everyone.

Please let me know if there’s anything else I can help with. I can’t speculate on anything, of course, but am happy to provide information I’ve received in the course of interviewing and researching stories.

The above being written by a Staffer that writes for this "News Outlet " says a bit in itself.

Which brings up Bill's query . . . how did he have "current" powers to write if he is not valid to do so ?

Post Posted: Thu 19 Jul 2012 05:28 
in memoriam

I reiterate..." how did he have "current" powers to write if he is not valid to do so ?"

That is the bottom line... all else is moot...

I don't care what state you are in.... when you write a bond... be it property or surety... you sign a power or a chit or a document that either physically or figuratively gives the money to the magistrate for the bond premium.... that paper is issued to the bondsman by the bonding company... the surety or the property company, whichever.... if his license had in fact expired... how was it that he was still in possession of those documents...

If my license were to expire, you can believe that "Seneca"... my surety company... would be on my doorstep collecting their "paper".

Every bond I write as a surety agent is physically checked by the magistrate... or should be, and to that end, is the passing or failing of the procedure.

The ball in this game was dropped by several parties and all this is really about is who gets the blame.... and it will be the smallest player in the game, especially since it went public and the media has yet another negative article to lay at the feet of the bonding community.

FRN Forums » PUBLIC SECTION » Media Coverage