Marketing Bail Bonds to a concert event? • PUBLIC SECTION • Open Discussion • Fugitive Recovery Network (FRN) Forums
FRN Banner
wordpress-ad

Post subject: Marketing Bail Bonds to a concert event?
 Post Posted: Wed 11 Mar 2009 20:53 
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 2419
Experience: 3 - 5 years
Last weekend we had a Phish concert here in "Hampton VA. Over the 3 day concert event, the police netted 194 arrests.
In retrospect, I now wonder how best to get your Bail Bond company's name out in advance for a concert like this. Concert regulations did not allow for un ticketed vehicles at the afternoon tailgaters event. However, anyone could walk into the parking lot without a problem.
Granted most concerts are not this bountiful in arrests ( mostly drug arrests) but for those where Phish will be playing next, its something to think about.
On the other hand, I heard that many of the defendants were out of state residents coming from as far as California. Not sure I would want to deal with these risky bonds. For the wiser bondsman, most were demanding full collateral for these "pay to play" out of state rich kids. I look forward to seeing everyone's responses.
Jenifer

DCJS 99-183465
Virginia

Post subject: Re: Marketing Bail Bonds to a concert event?
 Post Posted: Wed 11 Mar 2009 22:52 

This probably doesn't help any, but I know one California BB company's "street team" would be all over an opportunity like this.

Post Posted: Thu 12 Mar 2009 02:46 
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 0
Experience: < 3 years
Interesting concept.

Buying a ticket for the event might be an option if it gives one access to the festivities and you can then "network" with the next generation. Might have to recruit a few gen x'ers to help out.

By the way, what is a Phish ? I'm pretty sure it isn't caught on any lake up here.....

I do remember attending a Led Zeppelin concert back in 1974; although , that's a different story entirely....

MN #40202245
NSIN: BM0510
218-565-0459

Post Posted: Thu 12 Mar 2009 03:48 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 1366
Experience: 7 - 10 years
Gotta be careful advertising..some venues won't allow it unless you pay upfront way in advance.
Out of state defendants, I take security..who knows if they'll show up for court...too much of a risk...

" Yeah, I see ya, you ding dong..."

Post Posted: Thu 12 Mar 2009 12:49 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3904
Experience: More than 10 years
Your most reliable clients are those that either live in or have relatives in your local area. They are you base that will provide repeat or referral business.

I personally, would not go after the transient business. They are less likely to make their court date for a minor charge. We see many local residents that have tickets or warrants for FTAs in other states. They only take care of them when forced to, which some times are years later.

We had a guy come in our office yesterday with a traffic warrant out of Tucson. He is only taking care of it now is because it showed up on an employment background check.

I will not post bonds on temporary workers, people attending major sporting events or concerts if they are from out of our area or do not have a local co signer. It is not worth the recovery cost for a couple hundred bucks premium if it does bad.

In my opinion, this is NOT the time to start writing riskier bonds. One big forfeiture can put you out of business real quick.

Post Posted: Fri 13 Mar 2009 11:37 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 5
1 option to this is to simply demand full payment upfront with the written contract stating when they return for thier court appearance, they will recieve a ful refund minus the commission. This is a win-win situation all the way around for everyone.

Post Posted: Fri 13 Mar 2009 16:31 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3904
But,

In that scenario, the defendant can pay the full amount as a cash bond to the jail and not need the bondsman. They would then get their full cash bail back when they complete the case and save the bail premium paid to the bondsman.

But wait, the court may take any fines out of their cash bail! That is true but they will have to pay the fines anyway.

But, but what if they don't have the cash and only have a credit card? Yup you guessed it! More and more counties and jails are taking the full cash bonds on credit cards.

Post Posted: Fri 13 Mar 2009 18:09 
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 2419
Experience: 3 - 5 years
To answer one question..Phish is a rock band which is essentially this generations version of the Grateful Dead..( albeit, even more over the top concerning drugs because there are so many new ones in which to choose from these days)
They are also known for an incredible light show during their concert. ..which apparently takes on a different perspective if experienced while under the influence ( as one concert goer /arrestee related to me).
Their tour dates can be found at http://www.mypspace.com/phish and a good history at http://www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/phish
During the last days of before the concert here in Hampton, VA..tickets were selling for over a $1000 each.. These Phishheads, as they are known, are not without resources.
Jennifer

DCJS 99-183465
Virginia

Last edited by ladysurveil on Sat 14 Mar 2009 08:18, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Fri 13 Mar 2009 21:35 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 2065
There was a lot of good advice here.

Local concerts attract out of town and locals alike. Yes, at events like this, always insist on the FULL bond amount, PLUS your premium (up to 20% on non locals here), PLUS court costs. The same thing you would do on non-US citizens. You have to also realize that there would be a ton of locals at the event. The people you can get local co-signers on. Your bread-n-butter of the group.

What we have done at local events. Saturate the area of the event with business cards, flyers and T-shirts, passing them out without portraying yourself as one of those annoying telemarketers. It takes months to prepare for an event. But, what if you do this on a regular basis? Gas stations, bars and liquor stores are golden. Coasters at a pub have also worked well.

And what if you have a couple of bondsmen walk around the event and give a few people $20 to wear your “cool” T to go towards the cost of their ticket? (If your T isn’t cool then don’t bother, your wasting your money!) Grant it, there will always be the proverbial dumb butt to take your 20 and throw the T in the trash, but over all, it pays off.

If there are several events at one place and you continue to do this, then you can accomplish what is called “name branding”. Doing this better than your competition brings in a lot more business.

Hope this helps, it’s helped us tremendously…

The phish thing I'm trying to figure out. I remember Motley Cure, G n R and Def Lepard...

Anniston, AL

Post Posted: Fri 13 Mar 2009 21:51 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 2065
Tony, you are exactly right. Why can't they pay the bond to the courts and not pay the extra 10% (plus court costs)?

Not every jail nor jurisdiction has jumped that fence, yet.

Anniston, AL

FRN Forums » PUBLIC SECTION » Open Discussion