BODY ARMOR WARNING!!! • PUBLIC SECTION • Open Discussion • Fugitive Recovery Network (FRN) Forums
FRN Banner
wordpress-ad

Post subject: BODY ARMOR WARNING!!!
 Post Posted: Thu 03 Jun 2004 09:19 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 0
Experience: More than 10 years
Body armors made with Zylon are being recalled in some cases after two reported failures.

One involved Second Chance Ultima II. Second Chance maintains that the bullets hit the edge and performed to Federal standards, but the second incident was a .40 caliber that hit center mass, so I'm not sure that the edge argument holds any weight. In any event, Second Chance has decided to withdraw Zylon from the market.

UV light, direct sunlight, and temperatures five degrees above normal body heat are reportedely causing degradation in Zylon made vests.

The following companies have put out Zylon based vests: Point Blank, PACA, Safariland, American Body Armor, and Second Chance.

Body armor less than five-years old and made with Kevlar, T-Flex, and Gold Flex are reportedly not a problem. Body armor older than five-years should be decomissioned per manufacturer advice.

Check your body armor and call the manufacturer if you have any questions.

Stay Safe!!!

Rex

Post subject: BODY ARMOR
 Post Posted: Sun 06 Jun 2004 09:41 
in memoriam

REX GREAT POST

IMPORTANT REMINDER ALL BODY ARMOR OVER FIVE YEARS OLD IS UNRELIABLE AND SHOULD NOT BE USED AS PRIMARY PROTECTION

WE USED ALL OLD ARMOR IN OUR VEHICLES- WE WOULD EITHER TAPE OR GLUE OLD PANELS IN THE TRUNK AGAINST FENDER SIDES OR AGAINST REAR SEAT BACK OR REMOVE SIDE DOOR PANELS AND PUT THE ARMOR PANELS BETWEEN THE DOOR AND INSIDE DOOR PANEL SOMETIMES WE WOULD EVEN REMOVE THE SEAT BACK UPLOSTERY AND LINE THE SEAT WITH OLD ARMOR PANELS AND THAN REPLACE THE UPOLSTERY

ALL THIS WOULD GIVE US MORE SAFTY INSIDE OF THE VEHICLE
I ALSO RECOMMEND IF YOU ARE FRIENDLY WITH YOUR LOCAL PD ASK THEM FOR THE OLD PANELS AND USE THEM TO HELP CREAT A SAFER VEHICLE FOR YOUSELF

Post subject: OUTSTANDING ADVICE
 Post Posted: Tue 08 Jun 2004 09:02 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 0
Hgunner,

Once again you have selflessly demonstrated your BEA wisdom in the interest of BEA safety.

I never, ever thought to use old Kevlar panels to fortify "The Office," but your valuable suggestion shall be given all due attention!

Outstanding Sir,

Rex

Post subject: body armor
 Post Posted: Sat 19 Mar 2005 12:17 

what is gold flex, kevlar protera? is it possible to fold it by hands???

Post subject: armour
 Post Posted: Tue 22 Mar 2005 14:07 
in memoriam

ICE ALL THOSE NAMES ARE DIFFERENT MATERIALS USED IN THE WEAVE OF VESTS-DIFFERENT MATERIALS GIVE DIFFERENT WEIGHT PER INCH OF THE ARMOR PANELS-ALL MANUFACTORS HAVE NAMES FOR THE MATERIAL PANELS IE KEVLAR SPECTRA ETC.THE COMBINATION OF THE MATERIALS GIVE DIFFERENT WEIGHTS FOR THE SAME SIZE VEST-I RECOMMEND LEVEL 111A-AGAIN 111A IS THE HEAVIST BUT IT ALSO IS THE MOST BULLET RESISTANT OF ALL COMMON VESTS-AGAIN REMEMBER MOST OF US DO NOT WEAR OUR VESTS ALL DAY SO WEIGHT AND HIDEABILITY ARE NOT THE MOST IMPORTANT FACTORS-SOMETIMES YOU CAN GET A LEVEL 111A VEST CHEAPER THAN A LIGHT WEIGHT LEVEL 11A BECAUSE LIGHTER THE WEIGHT THE MORE EXPENSIVE MOST OF THE TIME.

ALSO DO NOT FOLD YOUR VESTS FOLDING CAN CAUSE WEAK SPOTS IN THE PANELS OVER TIME DEGRADING THEIR PROTECTIVE QUALITY-THE BEST WAY TO STORE A VEST IS FLAT IN A COOL DRY AREA(GALLS MAKE A NICE PLASTIC FLAT BOX FOR THAT USE

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue 22 Mar 2005 18:30 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 2570
hgunner is totaly right on his post on vests. I use a level 2 lightweight because i do alot of process services (COURT PAPERS) in the not so nice part of town and i have to have my vest on all day. Level 3 is the best but it is also heavy and not concealable under my street cloths. I was told by an old timer that you should a least get a vest that will protect you from whatever caliber weapon you use should it ever be taken away from you and used on you always made sense to me.

Be Safe, Be Alert

Retired Private Investigator & Bail Enforcement
NAM VET 1969- 1975 US Army (RECON)
Office 260-220-3877
1-888-631-5520
Fax 260-456-6062

FRN Forums » PUBLIC SECTION » Open Discussion