Certification? • PUBLIC SECTION • Open Discussion • Fugitive Recovery Network (FRN) Forums
FRN Banner
wordpress-ad

Post subject: CERTIFICATION
 Post Posted: Mon 24 May 2004 06:12 
in memoriam

I DO AGREE THERE IS A DEFINIATE PROBLEM WITH BEA CLASS STANDARDS ALL OVER THE USA-WHO CERTIFIES THE INSTRUCTORS-DID THEY JUST BUY A TERRITORY FROM A ORGANIZATION OR DID THEY LIVE IN THE TRENCHS-CAN THEY TEACH OR JUST MAKE NOISE?-THAT IS WHY I RECOMMEND TAKING AS MANY COURSES AS YOU CAN AFFORD-IF YOU ARE ATTENTIVE YOU WILL GET SOMETHING OUT OF EACH COURSE YOU TAKE-JUST REMEMBER 20,30,50.60 EVEN 100 HOURS ARE NOT ENOUGH TO TEACH YOU TO SURVIVE ON THE STREETS THAT IS WHY I RECOMMEND AN APRENTISESHIP WITH A GOOD BEA.

Post subject: Apprenticeships
 Post Posted: Mon 24 May 2004 09:22 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 0
Experience: More than 10 years
By all means, an apprenticeship with a long-time, reputable BEA who has never been sued, jailed as the result of his or her BEA practices or otherwise been exposed to post-operation liability is the best way to go, but this is a tough order to make for the new person.

Personally, I'm not about to school my competition with introductions to my clients in my area of operation--it's just not a good business choice.

I've had people express 110% interest in learning the trade from me, but they tend to back off once they find that I require a 5-year non-compete clause in the Independent Contractor Agreement.

As for the characterization that the precipitating dialogue consituted a "battle," I cannot subscribe to this notion. I see it as two seasoned professionals expressing opinions based on experience derived from working in two separate states; hence, I would move to call the volley a gentlemen's debate.

There is good news however. I just released "Proactive Bounty Work," which shows some significant detail on how I have operated for years with ZERO post-operation liability.

Does someone get certified by watching this and upcoming DVDs? Of course not, but really a BEA doesn't have to be certified by a private "school" or "academy" that is not state certified to do BEA work in most cases. This just released DVD/VHS is shot in a ride-along format. It's something that I would have wanted to see over 12 years ago.

If the new person can't find a mentor then perhaps DVD/VHS and/or pop-up schools are the only exposure to the BEA trade that a new person will be able to get.

Unless there is a case wherein a school is subjected to vicarious liability as the direct result of the actions of a former student then we all can only speculate on the dangers of operating such a school.

Rex

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon 24 May 2004 21:51 

Well I apologize Rex. Indeed you two are seasoned professionals but you do seem to be a bit "provocative" towards L.A.W. in regards to the "gentleman's debate." I understand the reason to argue your point in which you have done but I only say "battle" because you seem to have rattled L.A.W.s chain a bit.

It is, quite rediculous that the amount of "academies" or "schools" continues to grow. Understandably there is also a need to educate those in the field. But in my opinion (and this is no offense to the two of you) if your going to open a school or academy, you really need to be confident that you know what you are doing. I say this because I attended a so called "Academy" in Colorado where a bail bonds man was the instructor. I had already been to a previous school in which I had 20+ hours of training. He asked my knowledge of the field in which I happily told him. He then handed me a certificate and sent me on my way. If you have such an academy, you ought to be teaching what you know regardless of what one already knows. Is that not the reason one would attend an academy or school? Who knows he could have provided me with more information than I already knew. Not to say I know as much as could be taught because I learn something new everyday. Needless to say this bail bonds man no longer has an academy.

My point here, in my opinion, is I get the notion that these so called "schools" or "academies" are only opening up for the purpose of making a little money, not taking into consideration that what they teach can either hurt a person or help a person. Maybe they just don't really care. In my case I was lucky to have already gone to a previous school and received some education. I unfortunately did not do my homework to find out who certified my certifier but I left with minus $25 instead of minus $250 and no further education.

Post subject: Well Put
 Post Posted: Tue 25 May 2004 15:52 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Avalanche, I found your reply to be well thought out, organized, and, in point of fact, it wasn't necessary for any type of apology. LAW and I have distinct views, and people tuning in are the ones who benefit from the exchange; indeed, I would have been grateful to catch that kind of sharing from veterans back in my early days.

You raised relative points regarding this topic, and, for the record, I do not operate nor plan to operate any type of recovery school operation. Also, it was never my intention to be offensive towards LAW, but it can be difficult to politely address issues if either party fails to stay on point.

I attended a now historical BEA school that left me with 320 hours of bail recovery related training. The course was intense, expensive and in my opinion well worth the investment.

After completing the course, I was picked up for contract work that kept me so busy that my weight dropped over 30 pounds. Geez, those were the days.

I am however befuddled by your account of a bail bondsman who summarily decided that you should receive his certificate simply because of your prior 20-hour course. In my view this anecdote should leave anyone hearing of this suspicious of the operation, which, like you indicated, is no longer operating.

This trade of ours is obscure, mysterious to the layman, and extremely difficult to break into for new people. I tend to think that veterans should step up and provide fledglings with the information that they need, so that the trade doesn't get tarnished by people acting without the benefit of said information.

If a new BEA does something outrageous in my state for example, then the predictible repurcussions directly hit me, and I don't care for that to happen.

Where I refuse to directly school my future competition, I do provide material for new people to enrich themselves for the sake of the trade. Believe me, I'm not getting rich off this, but I'd like to think that someday what I have provided will go towards preserving the BEA trade in some small corner of the country. Maybe this sounds grandiose, but at least I'm trying.

Rex

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu 08 Jul 2004 01:24 

here I am a newbie looking to launch a new career. .. Glad I read this forum before I was gonna invest $635 into a school plus expenses. Maybe instead ill take that money buy a couple books and videos. Attend a few law enforcement classes at the local Tech College. I actually thought going thru a school would help you advance yourself in the business. Maybe I should also spend a few more hours reading over old posts on the forum.. Seems I can learn alot.

Interesting !

Chopper

Post subject: training
 Post Posted: Thu 08 Jul 2004 05:59 
in memoriam

Chopper i think the message got a little scrambled-get as much training as possible-MAKE IT QUALITY TRAINING-I know it is hard to find but speak to local pds-local bondsmen etc.This proffesion can get you killed in a heartbeat.Some college classes will not enough.

take as many training classes as you can afford but more important is hands on with a good bea-develop street smarts-if that is not possible do not go into this proffesion become a insurance broker or any thing but bea because the long term heartache for you and your family(besides the general public) will be immense

i repeat with out the proper backround and or training you are a ticking time bomb and when you go off the reprocussion will be terrible

Post subject: Indeed
 Post Posted: Thu 08 Jul 2004 10:22 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Hgunner,

It's good to hear from you.

You know, many curious people seem to missing the point you raised, and that is the work is dangerous.

In "Follow Me," the chances of getting killed are very prominent at key points.

Good, solid training and experience is critical.

Rex

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu 08 Jul 2004 14:42 

My past experience is US Army and 5yrs Truck Driving. I doubt the local bond agency has any bea's but im sure theres some in Columbus which is 45miles away. What id like to do is link up with a Vet of the business and pretty much learn all I can. Its just a matter of finding one near me thats willing to train. Im willing to learn. My wife an I have talked about this business for a few years now. Im sure im going to do it. Just want to make sure im properly trained and equipped.

Thanks for the replies

Chopper

Ohio

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu 08 Jul 2004 15:21 
in memoriam

Chopper... go to my website at http://law1.netfirms.com/index2.htm and click on training info. You will find Hgunner's telephone number. We are having an extensive training class next month.

“What is sought is found... what is overlooked escapes” (Oedipus Rex)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu 08 Jul 2004 15:55 

I went ahead and sent in an email requesting the info brochure and application. Ill look forward to getting that. I figure by surrounding myself with Pros in the field is the best thing I can do.
Thank you,

Chopper

FRN Forums » PUBLIC SECTION » Open Discussion