Use of trained k-9 dogs • PUBLIC SECTION • Open Discussion • Fugitive Recovery Network (FRN) Forums
FRN Banner
wordpress-ad

Post subject: Use of trained k-9 dogs
 Post Posted: Wed 05 Nov 2003 04:15 

I am not a BEA, but have an interest in it. I do however train Police Service and Protection canines. I was wondering if any of you out their use a k-9, or your thoughts of utilizing one. Keep in mind I am not refering to a Mad Pit Bull on a leash. I am refering to a highly trained Police Service type dog. I know a K-9 can be a force equalizer and a strong mental deterent of a would be assault. Also what legal concerns are their. What force can be used to apprehend a fugative. In Police Service dogs they are not considered as lethal weapon. They are a tool. On the "use of force" ladder they are considered IN THIS ORDER, OC, K-9,ASP,Deadly Force. keep in mind utilizing a k-9 would be as "back up" and only deployed to apprehend if necessary or to protect the handler. Any feedback would be appreciated

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat 08 Nov 2003 19:30 

I have two GSD's and would love to get them trained well enough to go with me on certain recoveries just for the psychological aspect of it.

Post subject: K-9 training
 Post Posted: Sun 30 Nov 2003 12:51 
in memoriam

as a retired police detective and full time BEA i haved used k-9 many times to great advantage.i used to volunteer with northeast rottwieler rescue www.rottrescue.org and have a 7 year old male rotty 147lbs who is schutzen 3 certifed.he is a great asset on tracking and a very great pysch. advantage on arrests. the problem comes with your insurance.i am listed as armed on my policy but when i talked about a dog they threatened to not renew my insurance. very uneducated on the insurance companys side. again a well trained k-9 is a great asset all around and a good friendly face on those long cold stakeouts. the most important words are well trained-a well trained k-9 is a bullet u can call back a poorly or untraind k-9 is a time bomb that and will explode doing major harm to both good and bad guys.so if u take this route find the best k-9 and trainer possible.have the trainer help with dog selection and follow thru remeber that cute puppy will grow into a large animal with needs to be taken care of and much money to be spent over his lifetime.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun 30 Nov 2003 13:16 

You are very correct in your words. A dog that is not properly trained or does not have the correct tempermant is a "time bomb" waiting to go off.
A dog with the correct tempermant and training is going to cost about 4k to 8k dollars. It is also going to take alot of continual training and maintance. It will require the handler and dog to do weekley training throught the dogs carrer on the street. Owning a k-9 of this type is a lifestyle. If anyone thinks for one sec that they can go drop 5k on a k-9 and have a perefect dog they are mistaken. Even the best dogs out their require maintance weekly. Also rember their are never dog mistakes only handler mistakes. So if your dog bites someone its your fault not the dog. Owning one of these great dogs require a great deal of responsibility and dedication. So anyone looking for a dog to use either in BEA field or just a personal protection dog needs to do alot of home work befor hand.
Robert

FRN Forums » PUBLIC SECTION » Open Discussion