Dealing with NCIC • PUBLIC SECTION • Open Discussion • Fugitive Recovery Network (FRN) Forums
FRN Banner
wordpress-ad

Post subject: Dealing with NCIC
 Post Posted: Tue 17 Oct 2006 05:02 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 5
Experience: More than 10 years
NCIC is always frustrating to me. I can't tell you how many times I've had clients tell me that thier felony skip has been entered into it, only to find out that they aren't, or the pick up code is restricted to local areas.

I recently invested app. 15 hrs (10 of that driving, 5 hrs each way) into an attempted apprehension for a felony skip from up north. My client had assured me the skip was in NCIC, and all I had to do was turn him into the local jail for a LEO extradition back up north.

So my partner and I arrive at the local PD, do our check in, explain everything, they run our skip to verify what I am telling them, only to discover that the pick up code enterd into NCIC was restricted to "Surrounding states" only...which of course Alabama isn't one of those. The PD Investigator even called the northern PD to verify the NCIC information, becaue the local PD knows exactly where my skip is. He has been a guest of thiers several times.

The Northern PD checked with thier DA's office and was told that they wouldn't extradite from Alabama ! This guy is wanted for felony armed robbery !

So we thanked the local PD for all of thier help, they advised us to call them if we could get the pick up code changed, and we left. Then we called the client and advised them of the new developments.

Now, we have re-negotiated the terms of the contract and we will return later this week to actually apprehend the guy, but it's just repetitive action when we were so close !

Sometimes I think the CJ system is its own worst enemy. the lesson here is to please verify that any entries into NCIC are for nationwide extradition. It makes our jobs a whole lot easier.

The other thing here is that if we had not done our leo check in, apprehended the guy, tried to turn him into the jail and was refused, then we would have been stuck with this fugitive, with no time to extradite as we both had our regular jobs to get back to.

Needless to say it was a very frustrating and expensive day.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue 17 Oct 2006 06:56 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 1208
Experience: More than 10 years
Excellent post Ruffin, .... and a good lesson to learn. On any out of state bond i recieve, i verify NCIC without fail. In Most cases, i can usually lowball the existing extradition fee of 10 - 20% of the bond that the bondsman is charged and bring them back myself considering i'm coming back anyway.
More profitable to run the truck loaded ... than empty.

Post subject: ncic
 Post Posted: Tue 17 Oct 2006 08:17 
in memoriam

NCIC has always been a problem for bea --legally we have no access to ncic but have found ways around the problem--the best advice i can give is always double check extradition limits--also if you are going to a bea friendly state be prepared to bring the skip back with you just in case

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu 19 Oct 2006 14:11 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Yak that is the way to go, check to make sure first that it is entered, we all know how much BS is fed to Bonding companies just to make them happy and leave without verifying.

FRN Forums » PUBLIC SECTION » Open Discussion