Any good reading out there? • PUBLIC SECTION • Open Discussion • Fugitive Recovery Network (FRN) Forums
FRN Banner
wordpress-ad

Post subject: Any good reading out there?
 Post Posted: Thu 27 Jul 2006 20:35 
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

I am searching for some good books on BEA material. Do any of you folks have any suggestions on some books that mainly focus on tools to do the job, resources etc.? Not really looking for stories or bragging authors. Any replies will be greatly appreciated.

Troy Jones

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri 28 Jul 2006 12:35 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 5
Experience: More than 10 years
Lance Wilkinson also has a great resource book out.

You also need to read paralegal books, court motions/procedures 101, surveillance strategies, costume and make up books, research methods on maximizing internet records, need to read up on privacy act, graham-bliley-beacham act or something like that (this act definitely affects our industry), credit reporting, FOI-Freedom of Information Act- great for securing adoption or military records, etc.

Don't just concentrate on bail laws and tactics....there are a number of other laws that directly or indirectly affect our industry; some by accident, some intentionally.

Most importantly, always research each individual state's laws and if you need clarification, call that state's attorney general's office. I have done this on several occasions and always gotten professional assistance from these offices.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri 28 Jul 2006 13:08 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 1
Experience: More than 10 years
Try here:

http://www.fugitiverecovery.com/sales/books.html

If anyone has suggestions for other books let me know. I will add them.

US Bail Bond Directory
Private Investigator Database

Please post questions in the "Comments or Suggestions" Forum
PM is only for private requests or comments

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat 29 Jul 2006 08:42 
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Rex Venator

Rex is a well known and respected author and Bail Enforcement professional.

His books and training resources can be found at www.uenforcebail.com and at Paladin Press.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat 29 Jul 2006 14:52 

Vegas:

You sound fairly level headed, so this is not directed at you. But what is with all these classes and reading materials? Do these instructors not realize they are not doing people a favor? Too many BEAs think they can read a book or watch a video (or even worse a TV show) and know how to be a BEA.

Now I'm not necessarily one to talk. I worked 4 years in the private sector conducting investigations, working as a private investigator and went through law enforcement training as I was first accepted by one department and then another, taking them for their training and then turning them down as I wanted to stay self employed.

But I went and got my BEA license without any real training or classes on BEA. Heck I didn't even know there was a popular TV show until after I had my first fugitive behind bars.

In Indiana you have to have a clean criminal record, pay hefty fees, and take a written test to become a BEA. And honestly, the written test is something anyone who's watched a few eipsodes of Law & Order could pass. It was mostly considering simple legal terminology. I passed it 100% at 9am with only half a cup of coffee in my system. I can barely drive much less take a test at that hour, unless I've had a couple cups of joe.

Anywho, I sent out a letter to every bail bondsman in Indiana and Ohio (only after the fact realizing that I broke the law - in Ohio you cannot call yourself a BEA, its all run on a PI license). I got a call from a guy in Ohio who know a lady in Indiana who was looking for someone...I called her, drove two hours to pick up the file...went to Ohio looking for him, found out that he had just went back to Indiana a week before, went back to Indiana, found him, had him in the jail, and was back home within 12 hours. Not bad for my first time.

Yeah, I've made friends with some local bounty hunters, and I used to get insight from them, but I wouldn't call them mentors. Most of my training came on the street....not to mention a pre-existing knack for this kind of work.

I believe some people are born with it, can refine and grow it by training and experience....I believe some people can be taught, even with no pre-existing talent, and that they can become quite productive...and I believe some people are not meant for this job no matter how much training and hands on experience they get.

Well now here I am two years later, quite a decent reputation, a decent number of arrests, a high percentage rate of captures, enough stories to write a book, and I find myself still trying to break into the business. Once I get a file I'm on a roll. And I don't care if its one of those three month man-hunts. At least I'm part of the game. Its acquiring new work that I still am working on mastering. Besides the basic things to acquire new work that is spoken about quite often on this site, I've learned a large part of it is longevity. That means just sticking around, doing your one or two a month if you're lucky to get that many, exceeding client expectations as a standard, and waiting for your reputation and name to get out there to more and more people.

I now have references from people I have never met. I kid you not, someone on a yahoo group spoke very highly of me and I have never done business with them before. Its a good feeling, but I'm still not there yet (if I was, my phone would be ringing a heck of a lot more).

So - after you make it through my rambling - my word of advice to anyone...is yeah...do what you need to do as far as training...get a mentor or at least someone to observe and learn from...but be prepared to have to exercise great patience in acquiring work....but fear not...this lesson in patience is what will make you a great BEA once work finally starts coming in...

And thats all for me....be safe out there.

Post subject: I like your style
 Post Posted: Sun 30 Jul 2006 09:34 
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Matt,

I really like your post and I am not offended at all. My whole life I have always learned by watching, practising and perfecting a skill. Much like skiing, and I never broke a bone (LOL)!! Since obtaining a higher academic degree, I have learned that there are many sources of information to build a base level of knowledge and since my class does not begin until September, I want to get a headstart. Yes, some books are written horribly and some authors can be very skillful to pass info that one needs to know.

I do not look to a book to tell me how to do my job. I am a registered nurse by profession. I remember nursing school did not show me how to become a nurse and interact with patients and doctors. I had to learn and experience what worked best; and this never came from a book. But knowledge is where it begins and so forth I asked for any books.

I came to this board not even a BEA, but searching for intelligent folks that can help me and guide me in the right direction so I dont' become mislead or do stupid things. I however do appreciate your response and the time you took to respond. I look forward to you responding with your invaluable experience.

Again, thanks ,

Troy

FRN Forums » PUBLIC SECTION » Open Discussion