new to the field! • PUBLIC SECTION • Open Discussion • Fugitive Recovery Network (FRN) Forums
FRN Banner
wordpress-ad

Post subject: new to the field!
 Post Posted: Thu 12 Sep 2013 13:09 
Posting Newbie
Posting Newbie

FRN Agency ID #: 0
Experience: < 1 year
Hello,
My name is Terri; I am Appling for my bail bonds license! I am so new to the industry that I have no one to mentor me! I want in this field to help people, work for myself and I really like the investigative part of bail bonds/recovery!
Yes I am very aware of the risk, however I do not have any home support to do this either and cannot afford the insurance premium and have found no local bonds company willing to hire a newbie! I did have a bondman offer me to write bonds under his insurance sign a contract but I would be responsible for my own skips (not a problem) but to use his office and resources I would have to pay another fee!! Is this normal?
Any insight for a newbie is greatly appreciated! Any mentoring would be as well!! 

Post subject: Re: new to the field!
 Post Posted: Thu 12 Sep 2013 14:10 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3904
Experience: More than 10 years
Welcome,

First off there is no normal in this business. Everything is negotiable. You get what ever you can that works for you.

You can start out as a posting agent. Just post bonds for the agent that offered you the contract. You can do that from home to get your feet wet.

Other than that, talk with a couple different surety companies. That can help tutor you if they want a new agent in your area.

So, where are you located anyway?

Post Posted: Fri 13 Sep 2013 06:07 
Posting Newbie
Posting Newbie

Thanks so much for the response, I think I will take him up on the offer! I left him a message but hopefully I didn’t scare him off by my unwillingness to commit when the deal was offered!
I guess I am just so anxious and nervous at the same time! I want to dive head first but it’s kind of hard when you don’t know anyone! I can’t wait to write my first bond and HELP on my 1st skip!! Of course not my skip! Lol
I am in good old Columbus Ohio! I am hoping to get experience here and in couple years relocate to Florida!
How long have you been in the business?

Post Posted: Fri 13 Sep 2013 08:29 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 757
Experience: More than 10 years
tpenn wrote:
Thanks so much for the response, I think I will take him up on the offer! I left him a message but hopefully I didn’t scare him off by my unwillingness to commit when the deal was offered!
I guess I am just so anxious and nervous at the same time! I want to dive head first but it’s kind of hard when you don’t know anyone! I can’t wait to write my first bond and HELP on my 1st skip!! Of course not my skip! Lol
I am in good old Columbus Ohio! I am hoping to get experience here and in couple years relocate to Florida!
How long have you been in the business?

What company offered you the deal? Think about it before you commit.

NSIN# SF0105
LIC. #704058

Post Posted: Fri 13 Sep 2013 09:32 
Posting Newbie
Posting Newbie

You know I don’t know the company name; I came across some post couple weeks ago with his info, I think it was an ad on an insurance webs site. All I got was his name is Mike and a number he may have said the company name but I don’t recall! When we spoke briefly, I was to call him when I decided what I wanted to do and then schedule a meeting. I called him this morning and he has not returned my call.
I see that I have made my 1st mistake! I hope I am taken serious and not confused as another dumb female! Lol

Post Posted: Mon 16 Sep 2013 03:51 
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Speaking solely from a recovery standpoint:
Capturing skips isn't nearly as difficult as establishing a reputation for your work. In my state, I have established a trusted relationship with maybe two or three bondsman, even then they give some of their contracts to more experienced recovery agents, especially the higher dollar contracts. I have had a couple contracts where I have a little more than a name to go by and still made the capture, just be persistent and see your contracts as far as you can take them without missing your own financial obligations.

Now, as a bondsman (in my opinion):
Get as much information as possible, friends, family, description of cars, drinking habits, husbands, wives, girlfriends, boyfriends, whatever it takes. This will give you the info you need if your defendant decides the justice system will not sway in his or her favor. ALWAYS have a mugshot, I have a case now that I am certain I would have more intel about, but the county jail does not want to release a mugshot and the bondsman failed to get one before bonding him out of jail. Nothing worse than going hunting for someone having only a name and no idea of what him or her looks like.

Anyhow, I probably went off on a tangent there, sorry about that. But I guess persistence pays off, just keep at it and you will eventually get what you are looking for, just don't cut corners and you'll be fine.

On a side note, and I don't mean to sound sexist or anything. But from personal experiences, females can get doors open. My partner, who happens to also be my significant other, can get any door open she wishes, don't ask me how, it just happens. Honestly, we need more females in this business.

Bail Bond Recovery Agent - #400

Post Posted: Wed 18 Sep 2013 07:26 
Posting Newbie
Posting Newbie

Thanks so much for the info!! You have no idea how important it was to here this!! I was starting to feel like this was going to be impossible to do alone!! Mike hasn’t called me back and my husband doesn’t support me going into the field at all!
I am going continue on with this journey! One day I will take what I have learned and start a new career and life in good old Florida! (I am aware getting a license there is a bit more involved) I have printed off everyone’s advice that I have found on here whether it was directed to me or not! 
This web site has been so much help!!

FRN Forums » PUBLIC SECTION » Open Discussion