PBUS? • PUBLIC SECTION • Open Discussion • Fugitive Recovery Network (FRN) Forums
FRN Banner
wordpress-ad

Post subject: PBUS?
 Post Posted: Fri 12 Apr 2013 07:57 
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 1611
Experience: 7 - 10 years
Not to through anyone under the bus, I am having some personal issues with renewing with PBUS.

Here is why.

Beth Chapman is on the board. Am I just being cynical? Anyone here a member who is ok with that? I am totally open to being convinced my opinion of her is wrong? I know a couple of CO folks who have told me some wing ding stories about her and then there is the obvious horse poo TV show that seams to validate what I have been told.

Help? Anyone? Is my hesitation reasonable or am I just being stupid? Seriously and honestly I can take it.

Thanks

Sentry Security & Investigations L.P. - Vice President
Curently Licensed in Texas as;
Private Investigator TXLC A16879
Level III Commissioned Security Officer TXLC C11454
Level IV Personal Protection Officer TXLC C11454
Texas Issued Concealed Handgun License

Post subject: Re: PBUS?
 Post Posted: Fri 12 Apr 2013 08:37 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3904
Experience: More than 10 years
I did not renew my PBUS membership this year when she was elected as Exec V.P.

I was at the election in 2012. From what I observed and what was told to me by very informed sources was that they flew in people to join PBUS the day of the election just to vote for her.

The PBUS Bylaws allow that.

Supposedly an east coast surety company rep suggested to her that she run for an area director position. Being the super star that she thinks she is, she said no, I want to be PRESIDENT!

However she was convinced to lower her sights a bit and run for the Exec. V.P. position.

Now understand she has never been a board member on PBUS before. They only attended meetings when they were there to speak as guests. So she had no experience what so ever of actually participating in the PBUS association other than for their own self promotion.

Three months after her taking office, the PBUS exec director quit because of the problems she created. There was a vote to change the bylaws in how a board members could be removed for cause.

Doggie got up and started swearing like the rude, crude selfish unprofessional person he is, because the vote did not go the way he wanted.

When the wife of another PBUS board member got up and asked him to watch his language, he told her to F herself also.

Such a class act these 2 are.

So, when I was contacted to renew my PBUS by the new and current exec director, I told her the reason why I would not be doing so. She did not indicate one way or another her thoughts on the "situation" but stated that there will be another election in 2014 and in order for change to take place, members have to vote.

And you can only vote if you are a member.

In my opinion, I have told others that if it was me, I would not renew and let them know the reason why. If enough pressure is put on them, they will make changes.

In fact that is what the bylaws change vote was about. Some board members want to get rid of her.

Now with all that being said, it was a big gamble for NABBI to go ahead and participate as a exhibitor at the February conference. Because we were there, we were able to present a alternative professional image to doggie and his crew.

Tom can verify that we were very well received and those that were candid enough told us that they were tired of the Chapmans.

Last edited by tsuggs on Fri 12 Apr 2013 09:31, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Fri 12 Apr 2013 09:21 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 1474
In our profession, we very often have to deal with some rather unsavory characters... both sides of the law...

Organizations often elicit membership based on "what they can do for us" as in garnering members that would probably like to be associated with that member....

I personally think that is extremely dangerous... as the present situation with PBUS demonstrates.

I also have dealt with some rather unsavory characters in my years in the business but I will tell you... it is always on a low level and I don't hang out with them or associate in any capacity other than very professional...

.... my take on PBUS is that they have sold themselves rather cheaply and I will not hook to that star.

I have probably done some pretty shady stuff in my youth but now that I am older and maybe a little wiser... I have tried very hard to maintain a level that I am proud of....

Hooking up with a group that is associated with those that I find .... "unprofessional" for lack of a more appropriate word.... is not on my plate at this time.... even to promote NABBI... I will not do it.

... and as most of you know... I do not shy away from saying what the hell I think... sometimes to my detriment... :oops:

DCJS: 99-176979
Cell: 434-294-0222

"Endeavor to Persevere" "Lone Watie"

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that , comes from bad judgment" "Will Rogers"

Post Posted: Fri 12 Apr 2013 09:40 
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 1611
Experience: 7 - 10 years
Hey if you dont say what you think no one will know what you are thinking.....

Thanks for the info, I was just not sure if it was my own paranoia telling me to stay clear or not..as I get older I tend to question myself and ask for advice a little more often.

I appreciate your guys honesty and advice.

Sentry Security & Investigations L.P. - Vice President
Curently Licensed in Texas as;
Private Investigator TXLC A16879
Level III Commissioned Security Officer TXLC C11454
Level IV Personal Protection Officer TXLC C11454
Texas Issued Concealed Handgun License

Post Posted: Fri 12 Apr 2013 09:52 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

My gut feelings are that she will not be back after the election next year. Could be wrong but, I think they have gotten all they can from PBUS.

I really can't see her being elected to president. They are so busy trying to regain their star appeal, that she wouldn't devote the time needed to properly head up PBUS.

But again I can be wrong, especially if the new show is a big flop, which I think it will be.

Regarding NABBI being a part of PBUS, we will if the board agrees only as an exhibitor. They are the only game in town that draws hundreds of bail people from all over the country.

So, until there is a better way to reach that many potential members, supporters and clients, we have to at least consider attending some of their conferences.

When we have the funds and members that are able to attend the various state association conferences, we should do so to promote NABBI.

Post Posted: Fri 12 Apr 2013 10:39 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 455
I have not renewed my membership since they took the position of being anti-bail recovery and stated so on their website. The association between PBUS and the Chapmans is indicative of two factions willing to use each other for their own individual agendas. Neither speaks to the betterment of the profession, the increase in professionalism, integrity and morality, I look for NABBI to fill that slot.
Scott

"Leaders are like Eagles, you never see them in a flock, but one at a time"

Chesapeake Group Investigations, Inc.
Chesapeake Bail Bonds
877-574-0500
301-392-1100 (fax)
301-392-1900 (Office)

Post Posted: Fri 12 Apr 2013 11:58 
in memoriam

I also believe that PBUS will view NABBI as competition... regardless of what the surface talk states... and to that end, they probably will not do a lot to promote us... they allow us to exhibit for the money and no other reason, I am pretty sure of that...

I think we can grow on our own, certainly maybe not as fast but I still think associating with them is a mistake....

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that , comes from bad judgment" "Will Rogers"

Post Posted: Fri 12 Apr 2013 12:51 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Five out of the last 6 new NABBI members came directly from our attendance at the February conference.

Hell, our booth was across from the doggie booth. It was hard to maintain our professional demeanor being so close to their setup.

However, Tom and I being to consummate professionals we are, we were able to promote NABBI despite the harsh working conditions. :wink:

I am open to all suggestions for ways to increase membership. However over and over again the best way to accomplish that is usually face to face with the prospective new members.

Post Posted: Fri 12 Apr 2013 14:34 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3671
Experience: 3 - 5 years
Mdbtyhtr wrote:
I have not renewed my membership since they took the position of being anti-bail recovery and stated so on their website. The association between PBUS and the Chapmans is indicative of two factions willing to use each other for their own individual agendas. Neither speaks to the betterment of the profession, the increase in professionalism, integrity and morality, I look for NABBI to fill that slot.
Scott

Amen, Scott! Although I think Tony is right here. I believe, much like PBUS and the Chapmans are doing with each other, that we can milk the big show that is PBUS, for all it is worth, and get off that ride when it's over, without becoming stained ourselves.

Ca. Bail Agent Lic#1845795
Owner/Operator, Thomas Duprey Bail Bonds
Owner/Operator, Orange County Bounty
(714) 727-4689

Post Posted: Fri 12 Apr 2013 16:38 
in memoriam

Yep, no doubt you guys have a point... I certainly will agree, it could work in our favor... however.... you do it.... I won't alter my stance... but that is what makes the world go round.

FRN Forums » PUBLIC SECTION » Open Discussion