Looking For Advice • PUBLIC SECTION • Open Discussion • Fugitive Recovery Network (FRN) Forums
FRN Banner
wordpress-ad

Post subject: Looking For Advice
 Post Posted: Tue 16 Oct 2012 19:09 

Hello everyone. I live in Alabama and I have decided to become a fugitive recovery agent after 6 years as a private investigator.
I am looking for advice. I have been offered a "beginner job" finding and apprehending a fugitive in my area.

Before I actually venture into the field with my partner, I am looking for help so I don't break any laws and I make a good impression on my new 'employer'. So here are my questions and I would appreciate any and all advice offered.

1) There do not appear to be any laws regarding recovery agents themselves (in Alabama), so what other laws should I know before arresting someone? Are there any licenses I must obtain first?

2) After the arrest, where do I take the subject? Does it matter where as long as they are taken to the police department?

3) When I take the fugitive to the proper authorities, am I allowed to remain armed (firearm, baton, pepper spray, etc) when I enter the department or must I disarm and leave weapons in my vehicle? (I was confused about this because it can't be wise to have a fugitive in custody and not be armed.)

Those are the 3 main questions I have right now. I know they may seem dumb to some of you, but I am new to this. I just don't want to break the law or ruin this opportunity. Thank you all for any advice and help!

Post subject: Re: Looking For Advice
 Post Posted: Tue 16 Oct 2012 20:36 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 1474
Experience: More than 10 years
Quote:
6 years as a private investigator

... and you are asking us for advice?????????????????????

If your already a private investigator... you can certainly answer those questions without any help at all.....

Quote:
but I am new to this

...jump right in.............

DCJS: 99-176979
Cell: 434-294-0222

"Endeavor to Persevere" "Lone Watie"

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that , comes from bad judgment" "Will Rogers"

Post Posted: Tue 16 Oct 2012 21:11 

There is only so much a person can find out on their own. It is always a good idea to ask those with experience in the field as well as research. If you are not going to even try and help, please do not comment. I am open to any advice, websites, etc that may be helpful. I am also open to criticism as well, but it is not helpful to post Smart Alec comments. If you are not even going to ATTEMPT to be helpful, please do not waste your time just to be rude. Thank you.

-TIM

Post Posted: Tue 16 Oct 2012 23:38 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 4006
Absent specific laws offering direction, you'll want to find out what the local practices and policies are in the area where you operate.

i.e. one PD may be ok with an armed FRA entering the police station, another PD may not be ok with it. Some county jails may allow FRA's to book the defendant into the jail, other counties may not allow it, in which case you would need to turn the defendant over to the PD, which is usually ok as long as they sign your "body receipt" unless the bondsman is revoking the bond and no warrant has been issued, then it may be a bit more complicated.

There are a lot of variables to consider i.e. is it a criminal or immigration bond ? there is a big difference in how / where / when each can be surrendered.

What if your defendant has an injury or medical problem ? the jail can refuse to take custody until the defendant is seen and cleared by a doctor or other medical professional.

As an FRA you can use "reasonable" force to apprehend a skip. Do you know how far you can go in the context of reasonable ? i.e. using force to apprehend versus your own self defense, lethal force only in self defense and your duty to retreat to avoid a lethal force incident if possible.

FRA's operate in a strange area of statues and case law, we are not law enforcement but can apprehend a bail bond fugitive, in doing so we are still private citizens and do not enjoy most of the latitude or immunity bestowed upon state actors (law enforcement).

There are plenty of other things you need to learn about such as entering a residence, 3rd party residences etc...

It's good that you are seeking out knowledge before jumping in, rather than try to coach you on a forum I will recommend that you take the comprehensive training offered by Scott Harrell, it's designed for people such as yourself.

Here's a link to his site http://www.1shoppingcart.com/app/?Clk=4606759

Post Posted: Wed 17 Oct 2012 05:53 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 1474
Quote:
If you are not even going to ATTEMPT to be helpful, please do not waste your time just to be rude. Thank you.

I think you just answered your own question... I wasn't being rude, I was being helpful... if you have been a PI for 6 years and cannot find these facts, you frankly, need another occupation. That is not rude, that is factual info that you should take to the bank and calm yourself down. You need to thicken up your skin a bit... you'll need it if you plan to succeed in this business.

Quote:
It's good that you are seeking out knowledge before jumping in, rather than try to coach you on a forum I will recommend that you take the comprehensive training offered by Scott Harrell, it's designed for people such as yourself.
Here's a link to his site http://www.1shoppingcart.com/app/?Clk=4606759

That is some good advice... heed it.

Tim, don't get flustered, harden up and do the research... I will give you some very good advice, especially for a unregulated or lacks state such as Alabama is..... "the rule of thumb is.... there is no rule of thumb"... CYA and believe nothing your told... every jurisdiction, every LE... every court... have their own set of rules and that is why this business is so difficult... remember this and you may have a chance... again, good luck.

BTW... again, please go to the "introduction" section, read and fill out a proper intro and sig line... thanks.

DCJS: 99-176979
Cell: 434-294-0222

"Endeavor to Persevere" "Lone Watie"

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that , comes from bad judgment" "Will Rogers"

Post Posted: Wed 17 Oct 2012 07:57 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 340
Contact Eagle here

Do not consider anything for your interest which makes you break your word, quit your modesty, or inclines you to any practice which will not bear the light, or look the world in the face .... Marcus Antonius

I AM Some Folks "KARMA" and A MODERATOR @ FRN

Post Posted: Wed 17 Oct 2012 12:15 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 4013
Here's my two cents in regards to the three questions that you asked:
1. I am not at all familiar with the bail laws in the State of Alabama, so it's a little difficult to give you an honest answer in regards to that question.

2. Out here in California, one would typically surrender the defendant at the county jail in the jurisdiction from which the defendant fled. Sometimes, the surrender is made at the local city jail; it all depends on the situation. There are many variables in this profession. If the defendant is an Immigration Surrender, then you will surrender the defendant to I.C.E. You can check out their website and find out the best/closest detention facility to surrender the defendant. http://www.ice.gov/detention-facilities/ Also, keep in mind that I.C.E. keeps "banker's hours," so it would be wise to check in with them prior to making an apprehension attempt in order to ensure that they will be ready to receive your surrender. Nights and weekends aren't going to work for Immigration Surrenders.

3. I have never been permitted to be armed when entering a Law Enforcement Agency/Detention Facility. Typically, I will disarm myself and secure all of my weapons in the trunk of my vehicle before entering the premises. Be careful when doing this, as you don't want prying eyes to know that you have weapons stowed in your vehicle. You could find yourself returning to a burglarized vehicle minus your gear. Discretion is the key here; approach is everything.

I hope that this information helps you. If you have any further questions, feel free to pick my brain.

Los Angeles, California
(323) 786-FIND

"Approach is Everything."

Post Posted: Wed 17 Oct 2012 14:45 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3904
The best advice so far, even though all the replies were right on, is there is no rule of thumb for every state, county or city LEA when it comes to bail arrests and surrenders.

When I first started as a bail agent, my father in law only took me to the local jail and showed me where to post the bonds and wait for the defendant to be released.

The other 20 or so jails in my area, I had to figure out where they were, what their bond posting processes were and how long it took for the defendant to be released.

So, I either went there before I needed to post a bond or called them or figured it out when I actually had to post a biond there. I spent a lot of tinme online doing research.

I still do research almost everyday looking for new resources, websites, connections, etc anything related to bail.

One more point. Most bail recovery agents may not be willing to share info with someone new. You are their future competition and they may look at you as a threat to their business bottom line.

Don't be suprised if you don't get much help from some local agents.

Everyone that been on this site for more than just a minute will be willing to help you. But you must like Bill said, get a thicker skin and make sure you have exhausted all other sources before asking for help.

FRN Forums » PUBLIC SECTION » Open Discussion