Issues for a newbie • PUBLIC SECTION • Open Discussion • Fugitive Recovery Network (FRN) Forums
FRN Banner
wordpress-ad

Post subject: Issues for a newbie
 Post Posted: Thu 20 Sep 2012 11:37 
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 4150
Experience: < 3 years
My gripe.

I've been trying to break into the field for some time now. Preferably to work under someone.

I've always lived by the rule, "Don't know what I'm doing, even if I am called or considered an expert, there is always someone that has done it better, faster, and with more skill than me."
I try to learn from those people. However this industry, is a very "closed lid" industry, and simply getting in with a crew is a feat in itself. Not that I cannot understand the reasons for this (you don't exactly want the liability of picking up some "cowboy" who's going to injure others or themselves).

It seems the magic key, the holy grail if you will in this field is to be a good b.s. artist. Now, don't get me wrong here. I'm not saying to lie to whomever you are trying to work with or for, I'm saying the ability to have the "gift of gab" is key. The ability to change your persona based on the situation like a light switch is definitely key. No two people will react the same way to the same approach. You need to be able to read that, and apply yourself accordingly.

My first solicitation was with a bondsman. I walked in like a hotshot, he laughed me out of his office. After that, I decided "honesty is the best policy". I tried a second time. I'll tell you how that went. For the sake of this story the bondsman is named Mr X.

Me:
"Hi, my name is ken, I'm looking for work"

Mr X.:
"What type of work are you looking for?"

Me:
"Bail Recovery"

Mr X.
"Do you have any experience?"

Me:
"Not specific experience no, Im just starting out. But I am an army vet, I was a skip tracer. I'm pretty sure I can nail this type of work down with enough experience"

Mr. X:
"Well if you don't know the job, then you should be looking for someone that does to work with"

(bingo)

Me:
"Thanks Mr. X, I'll do that"

So here's my question, How do I approach guys that are already doing this work? It seems hard to get "boot on the ground" in this industry.

Bail License #40313820

Post subject: Re: Issues for a newbie
 Post Posted: Thu 20 Sep 2012 12:35 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 1474
Experience: More than 10 years
Face to face is the only way to approach anyone in this field... get names and locations and go from there. Close proximity to you for convenience and then be very flexible in time frames, be totally open and honest and just simply say you will follow directions and all you want is a chance to prove yourself to gain the experience.

I would say be very sure of who you hook up with as there are many 'flybynites' in this industry... make sure you have all the proper credentials yourself and that the team you are going with is also totally compliant within your state.

One bad action can end your career not to mention put you behind bars... and being with the wrong crew can do the same... even if you are sitting in the car by yourself and the rest are on a case... if your connected... your connected... get my drift?

You are also making a decision on the team your with... they are not the only ones doing the checking out.... both of you have to pass the others clearance or muster... two way street here...

... it will not work the first time, unless you are very lucky... it may take many connections before you find the team you can work with... and trust.... that is a very large word in this business.... trust.

As a bondsman, I only look to people that have proven records and usually once you hook up and find that team that fits your criteria... you stick with them... that is why it is so difficult to break into this field... as you have already discovered... so many, many cowboys that just want to "play the role" but don't have the real skills or desire and are always looking for the short cuts.... stay away from those...

Just one more item.... you don't have to be 'Jason Statham' to be successful in this business... you can look like Jackie Gleason if you have the hidden talents and skills to work around your deficiencies... age and physical limitations will not stop a determined person from being successful. I speak from experience on that one.... 8) 8)

also... always remember to treat everyone with respect... even the azzholes.... 8)

Good luck.

DCJS: 99-176979
Cell: 434-294-0222

"Endeavor to Persevere" "Lone Watie"

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that , comes from bad judgment" "Will Rogers"

Post Posted: Thu 20 Sep 2012 12:44 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 1999
Experience: 7 - 10 years
To second what Bill just said, be careful of who you associate with. Remember that you are interviewing the team along with them interviewing you. If you get "that feeling" it may be best to move along. You have been given the skills to do this by the D.O.D. so I am sure you will have no issues.

GAPB 20120726
NSIS ST0707
http://www.rocksolidrg.com
"The hero is not the man that acts without fear,
He is the man that acts inspite of fear"

Post Posted: Thu 20 Sep 2012 13:08 
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 0
Experience: None
I have the same issue except there is only 2 people here doing recovery and 1 will not return my calls and I have heard bad things about him so I will not persue to work with him. The other guy has accepted me but will not be doing it much longer (another month maybe) so I got in good with 2 companies that have called me in for recoveries for them. So techinically I'm teaching myself at this point. Phone calls will not work. Type up a resume and go into there offices and introduce yourself and ask if they can give you other agents numbers and see if they are willing to speak to you on a face to face to discuss possible employment. Agree to work for experience for a little while this way they get to know you and vise verse.

954-298-5579

Post Posted: Thu 20 Sep 2012 13:43 
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

speezack wrote:
You are also making a decision on the team your with... they are not the only ones doing the checking out.... both of you have to pass the others clearance or muster... two way street here...

This is something that definitely rang true to me in my encounters so far with people in this profession.
I have met a few that were pretty "high on the horse" that gives me a bad feeeling about working with them.

Bail License #40313820

Post Posted: Thu 20 Sep 2012 14:22 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3902
John,

The girl is staying in the house with the 40 oz. I know this to be a fact, just got to be there when she is.

Glad to hear you got hooked up....Rickey is no longer one of my contacts....Not sure what happened but he went down bad!!

Take care

Asheville NC 28804
828-777-8667
Lic # NC10013561
Lic # TN 2033018

Never be haughty to the humble
or humble to the haughty - Jefferson Davis

Post Posted: Thu 20 Sep 2012 14:25 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3902
BTW...Google Sscott MacLean bounty hunter A good article on how he got started. He's a member of this forum and Vice President of NABBI.

Asheville NC 28804
828-777-8667
Lic # NC10013561
Lic # TN 2033018

Never be haughty to the humble
or humble to the haughty - Jefferson Davis

Post Posted: Thu 20 Sep 2012 14:36 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 1999
Experience: 7 - 10 years
Mr. Williams, PM sent.

GAPB 20120726
NSIS ST0707
http://www.rocksolidrg.com
"The hero is not the man that acts without fear,
He is the man that acts inspite of fear"

Post Posted: Thu 20 Sep 2012 15:09 
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Also Bill, you and Scott Maclean continue to astound me with your amount of knowledge.

(not to be a holster sniffer) :wink:

Bail License #40313820

Post Posted: Thu 20 Sep 2012 15:28 
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 0
Experience: None
B Williams wrote:
John,

The girl is staying in the house with the 40 oz. I know this to be a fact, just got to be there when she is.

Glad to hear you got hooked up....Rickey is no longer one of my contacts....Not sure what happened but he went down bad!!

Take care

I agree to Bill, I might be making another stop at the moms house this weekend to do a little watching and some more pushing on the mom. Thanks again Bill!

954-298-5579

FRN Forums » PUBLIC SECTION » Open Discussion