Job Search Advice For Aspiring Bounty Hunters • PUBLIC SECTION • Open Discussion • Fugitive Recovery Network (FRN) Forums
FRN Banner
wordpress-ad

Post subject: Job Search Advice For Aspiring Bounty Hunters
 Post Posted: Tue 05 Jun 2012 18:09 
Posting Newbie
Posting Newbie

FRN Agency ID #: 0
Experience: None
I have been told getting a job in this business is all about who you know...
It makes sense to me, and if I were on the other end , I wouldn't want to hire a stranger

But I feel pretty useless sitting on my hands waiting for my phone to ring....

What would experienced bounty hunters and bondsmen suggest a person searching for work like me do in the meantime, aside from making contacts on forums?

I have considered compiling a resume and emailing to local bail agencies, although many do not provide email addresses...

Should I be making phone calls and knocking on doors? This seems like such an "insider" business, is that approach effective?

Post subject: Re: Job Search Advice For Aspiring Bounty Hunters
 Post Posted: Tue 05 Jun 2012 18:46 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 5
Experience: More than 10 years
Pasted, copied, edited from previous thread.

Quote:
You need to seek out government recognized or factory recognized trainers to certify you with their individual products. As always, create a training log denoting all training activities.

For example, if you plan on carrying and employing a taser, then you should be properly trained/documented for that tool. Let's say you go spend a lot of money on "bat" belt and toys. Then you employ a taser on a defendant, they suffer some kind of medical issue...heart attack, siezure, etc. and they sue you. I guarantee all of your training/experience will be challenged in court which could be the deciding factor in whether you win or lose your case.

An alternative to training is the citizens police academies some police agencies offer. Additionally, I would request/apply to do "ride alongs" with any agency that offers them, on all shifts. BUT, do not mention your Bounty Hunting agenda. That alone could cause a denial for the application. When asked why you want to do ride alongs, you simply state that you are exploring employment options. This will open more doors for you.

The ride alongs will teach you many things about your AO. Who the major players/gangs are, how the whole arrest to court system works, case documentation, getting to know officers, court clerks, judges, etc. All of these contacts and basically "ojt" will prove invaluable to you throughout your career.

Also, you need to read, study and make notes regarding Ca. bail laws until you know them by heart. Esp. Ca pc 1300-whatever.

Additionally, you may want to research these topics:

1) Is bounty hunting legal in all 50 states and U.S Territories ?

2) Define and explain the acronym UCEA ?

3) Define and explain what a UFAP warrant is.

4) Define and explain what a LEO check in is.

5) Name the 3 basic sources where a BEA'S authority lyes.

6) Do you ALWAYS handcuff a defendant in back ?

7) Do you ALWAYS keep a defendant handcuffed in back during extradition ?

7a) What style of handcuffs is best suited, legally, for us ? Chain vs. hinged ?

8 Are BEA/FRA ID rags legal in every state/territory ?

9) Is it legal in every state/territory to openly display a badge of any kind ?

10) Is it legal.....to identify yourself as "bounty hunter" or such other moniker ?

11) Can you use a regular vehicle for duty purposes with only standard insurance policies ?

12) According to Taylor vs. Taintor 366 wall, we can enter 3rd party addresses, even by force if necessary, to apprehend our defendant. Is
this true/false ?

Others will advise as they see fit. As always, this is only my opinion.

Post Posted: Tue 05 Jun 2012 19:00 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 455
Approach working recovery agents, if you don't know any, ask at the local jail, offer to work with them for free.

Scott

"Leaders are like Eagles, you never see them in a flock, but one at a time"

Chesapeake Group Investigations, Inc.
Chesapeake Bail Bonds
877-574-0500
301-392-1100 (fax)
301-392-1900 (Office)

Post Posted: Tue 05 Jun 2012 19:03 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3902
Rick,

Man I hate to agree with Scott M on everything :) but take his advice, it may take you far.

Good luck!!

Asheville NC 28804
828-777-8667
Lic # NC10013561
Lic # TN 2033018

Never be haughty to the humble
or humble to the haughty - Jefferson Davis

Post Posted: Tue 05 Jun 2012 19:36 
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Experience: None
I'm in the same boat Rick. 27 hrs of firearms training, 8 hrs OC, baton, and handcuff and still nobody will accept me yet. But I'm gonna keep trying.

954-298-5579

Post Posted: Tue 05 Jun 2012 21:35 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 5
Create your own opportunities. Prove yourself. How ? Skip trace the local crimestoppers fugitives. Wont pay much, but you develop your skills, rack up some locates, and build a rapport with local leo's. Remember, you can't arrest or extradite, but you can put "eyes" on and call the pd to do the arrest.

Sign up for ride alongs, go to jury trials...maybe a witness is missing. Offer to locate them, etc.

Pick up some civil process work from local attorney's, worker comp cases, abducted kids,....

Come on people. I'm sick n tired of hearing cry babies.."no one will hire me...boohoo boohoo". Get creative, figure it out, etc. This isn't rocket science.

Post Posted: Wed 06 Jun 2012 07:53 
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Experience: < 1 year
I was having a hard time finding anyone to work with, even for free. I'm a certified firearms instructor, and have countless hours working security and protection services where cops in the area won't go alone.
So I'm gonna do it myself. At least as much as I can. Getting my bondsman license, and gonna just jump in and see where it leads. Hopefully all the reading I've done on here and elsewhere will help out.

I do ccw/cpl classes, and love to train. I would appreciate the opportunity to get some experience in his field, so if anyone can use any free help, I'm used to working in high risk and high liability situations.

Post Posted: Wed 06 Jun 2012 21:02 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3904
As a bail agent, everyone please don't take this personally, if you can't think, know how to skip trace, read people, keep a cool head under pressure, all the firearms training, MMA, OC, only deal self defense not and with being able to locate the skip in the first place.

If you stress those skills over Weapons and martial arts, you would have better chances with bail agents like me.

Post Posted: Thu 07 Jun 2012 02:30 
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Experience: < 1 year
I agree that that's something you should be able to do at least a little, but without the direction of someone it takes a while to figure out. I got lucky, bigoted the guy who was helping me dissapeared, he went over that stuff with me.

I do ccw/cpl classes, and love to train. I would appreciate the opportunity to get some experience in his field, so if anyone can use any free help, I'm used to working in high risk and high liability situations.

Post Posted: Thu 07 Jun 2012 03:37 
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Experience: 3 - 5 years
Mdbtyhtr wrote:
Approach working recovery agents, if you don't know any, ask at the local jail, offer to work with them for free.

Scott

This is what im doing, Since I already have a fulltime job im looking to do part time intern work for free just to hang out, watch and learn from the recovery agents in my area.

FRN Forums » PUBLIC SECTION » Open Discussion