Work & Personal vehicles • PUBLIC SECTION • Open Discussion • Fugitive Recovery Network (FRN) Forums
FRN Banner
wordpress-ad

Post subject: Work & Personal vehicles
 Post Posted: Mon 04 Jun 2012 22:22 
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 0
Experience: 3 - 5 years
What kind of vehicles do you guys use for your daily task and what do you drive for work?

Im in the market for a new vehicle, kinda interested in the Nissan xterra... Let me know what you guys are driving or would like to drive... Pics if you got em lol

Post subject: Re: Work & Personal vehicles
 Post Posted: Mon 04 Jun 2012 23:35 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 5
Experience: More than 10 years
This topic, as well as most other beginner questions has been covered, repeatedly, over the years. Why folks refuse to research a topic before posting the question is beyond me.

To quote LuVonda "The search feature is a wonderful tool".

I own/drive a 2008 Nissan Xterra. I have few complaints other than its mpg. There are other suv's that get much higher mpg and are just as suitable for this line of work as any.

Mine is not 4wd, but with its granny gear, it'll climb almost any terrain you can put it in. I've also towed other vehicles out of mud with it, taken it off road a few times, driven in coastal sugar sand and didn't get stuck, etc. Performance wise, it ranks right up there with the best of them.

It has plenty of cargo space in the rear of the vehicle; the backseat folds down (forward) to make more room if you need it.

The engine has performed flawlessly so far. No breakdowns or mechanical issues. I keep it well maintained, I only use Castrol oils in it (now the high mileage oil changed every 3 mos.) and I'm just under the 100k mark on it.

I keep the tires balanced and rotated, once every 3 mos.

Speed wise, she goes fast enough for what we do. Just bear in mind, because the center of gravity is different in high profile suv's, they can roll over on sharp curves at high rates of speed. Mine seems to perform optimally on Shell gasoline and at 75 mph. I avg app. 300 miles per 16 gallon tank. Sometimes a little more, sometimes a little less.

The other positive thing about it is that it blends into any neighborhood making it an ideal surveillance vehicle. Providing of course that you don't have "blue line" decals, fop tags or decals, or any other leo type id markers on it or a bunch of antenas fastened to it. Criminals aren't dumb, they know what "blue line" tags/decals represent.

Now the negatives: It's not all that comfortable on long trips. Seats need a lot of improvement. The backseat is like sitting in a church pew...it doesn't recline at all and is extremely rigid and uncomfortable. Almost impossible for rear passengers to be comfortable or sleep in.

The light bulb in the gear shift console constantly burns out. I've had mine 3 years now, and I've had to replace it 3 times already.

The jack/spare and changing tire system they have are a physical pain in the butt. Worst design I've ever seen.

Now, if you are going to be doing pick ups in mostly rural, woodsy areas, the Xterra is ideal for that mission. If most of your pick ups are city areas, then I would look at crossovers such as the Nissan Murano (which I almost bought instead of the Xterra) or the Ford Edge.

That's my review of it. Hope it helps.

Post Posted: Tue 05 Jun 2012 00:37 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 5
Correction: I change the oil every 3k miles...not every 3 mos.

Post Posted: Tue 05 Jun 2012 06:33 
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Experience: 3 - 5 years
Quote:
This topic, as well as most other beginner questions has been covered, repeatedly, over the years. Why folks refuse to research a topic before posting the question is beyond me.

To quote LuVonda "The search feature is a wonderful tool".

I'm on a tablet when I'm surfing the web so my search and internet capabilities aren't as great as my PC skills.... I swear I cant find anything with this sites search lol but if I use Google I can find forum topic links like you were saying but they come up as the mobile site then I switch to full version then I'm back to the forum index using the site search to find the same phase for instance the topic "what do you guys roll in"

Eff it someone please link me hahahaha

Thank you for your detailed personal experience with the Nissan xterra .

Post Posted: Tue 05 Jun 2012 06:43 
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Experience: None
HEY HookandBook,
I've seen others in the business drive a variety of vehicles. Some drive Crown-Vics, Challengers, Chevy Astro and Caravans, 4x4 Trucks and SUVs. I have a Grand Marquis and a 4x4 Chevy Suburban, but that's just my choice. I might trade for a 4 door truck later on maybe. It just depends on your choice of vehicle that works right for your needs i.e performance or blending in the community, etc... I've seen some drive Hummers> oh well.

Jacksboro, TN

Post Posted: Tue 05 Jun 2012 11:32 
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 92
I drive whatever is in my garage. Presently, a BMW528i. Just sayin'!! ;-) BTW, I use to drive a HUMMER, and???? :)

Knoxville, TN
800-689-5031

Post Posted: Tue 05 Jun 2012 11:42 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 340
Well I drove the Mom Van . . . but it was retired 04/13/2012 and I snagged a nice little Jeep Liberty . . . . The furbabies love it and so will the folks that need a ride back to Jail should the need arise.

Do not consider anything for your interest which makes you break your word, quit your modesty, or inclines you to any practice which will not bear the light, or look the world in the face .... Marcus Antonius

I AM Some Folks "KARMA" and A MODERATOR @ FRN

Post Posted: Tue 05 Jun 2012 11:51 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 455
Joe Stiles wrote:
I drive whatever is in my garage. Presently, a BMW528i. Just sayin'!! ;-) BTW, I use to drive a HUMMER, and???? :)

And lincoln town car...

"Leaders are like Eagles, you never see them in a flock, but one at a time"

Chesapeake Group Investigations, Inc.
Chesapeake Bail Bonds
877-574-0500
301-392-1100 (fax)
301-392-1900 (Office)

Post Posted: Tue 05 Jun 2012 12:28 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3902
I drive a Ford Explorer (old) a Mercury Marquis (old) a Nissn Xterra (not so old) a pickup truck, (old) rental cars when needed, I really don't care what I drive so long as it doesn't break down. To each his own but I wouldn't drive a Crown Vic or any other car that could be mistaken for a cop car. That's my own preference and if you drive a Crown Vic and like it, good for you, it's just a matter of what you feel comfortable in. This is a light thread and thought I'd chime in.

Asheville NC 28804
828-777-8667
Lic # NC10013561
Lic # TN 2033018

Never be haughty to the humble
or humble to the haughty - Jefferson Davis

Post Posted: Tue 05 Jun 2012 20:31 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 1