Questions about Surety..Florida • PUBLIC SECTION • Open Discussion • Fugitive Recovery Network (FRN) Forums
FRN Banner
wordpress-ad

Post subject: Questions about Surety..Florida
 Post Posted: Tue 15 May 2012 14:51 
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 4244
Experience: < 3 years
Thanks to some corrective criticism for some members, I have determined how I want to go in this field.
I was initially going to open a company in Colorado and branch out; however, i have decided to just start locally here in Florida.
I am signing up for the 120 Hour course through Hillsborough College and also for the INS-3 course.
My questions are as follows.

What is the typical dress for a bail agent/surety agent in florida?
Badge use?( I know badges arent illegal but there are restrictions)
Weapons?Or OC Spray?
How much are typical start up costs for a surety agency (licensing, insurance etc)
How much money should one have if they want to write bonds? how does one become a professional bondsman?

I have a copy of my resume and would like to send it to interested persons in Florida, would anyone be willing to take a look at it and pass it on?

**Any opinions or posts represent my own opinions or doings, and in NO WAY reflect my employer(s) or sponsor(s) ideas or doings, and are the voice of my own, and not my employer(s). **

Please disregard grammar and spelling errors as I am on a mobile device

Post subject: Re: Questions about Surety..Florida
 Post Posted: Tue 15 May 2012 15:19 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3902
Experience: More than 10 years
Eric,

You recieved some accurate, thorough and very detailed advice from Jeff, NYPD. This guy is no joke and if I were looking to do business in Florida, I'd be talking with him. He might want you to do some research on your own instead of just giving you information. If that happens, don't take offense, it's to help you in finding information on your own. After all, isn't that what this business is all about?

Best of luck!!

Asheville NC 28804
828-777-8667
Lic # NC10013561
Lic # TN 2033018

Never be haughty to the humble
or humble to the haughty - Jefferson Davis

Post Posted: Tue 15 May 2012 16:59 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3828
Since you are just getting started .. do not think that getting your license you will make an income that you can survive on .. its a tough biz here in Florida.. don't give up your day job.. you might go weeks or even months, without writing a bond.. or you could be doing very well one month but not the next .. its all hit and miss. I am a retired LEO, I get a pension .. I have other businesses. This you may already know about me, but am just putting it here for others that come along as well..

The Bail Bond Class 120 Hour Class.. along with the 1 Week Online Class (INS-3) through Florida Univiersity.

The 120 Hours is approx $450 ..
The Univ FL online part last I know was approx $300 for the Book and Course..

So basically you are looking at an $800 out of pocket start up towards your Temp Intern License for FL..

What is the typical dress for a bail agent/surety agent in florida?

A: The "Dress" ranges from UPS / Fed Ex outfits to Pizza Delivery guys .. or a regular T-Shirt and Jeans and Boots or Sneakers ... all the way to Full Tactical Gear for SOME cases.. ).. Honestly, I would not worry about the "DRESS" until you pass the course and get sponsored, and start assisting with pickups...

Badge use?( I know badges arent illegal but there are restrictions)

A: Some carry Badges ... All carry their ID card visible .. (Badges CAN NOT BE 5 STARS .. 6 or more..) .. You can not wear badges within the Court or Jail (You may be arrested) some Jails in FL do not even let you wear your ID card and they give you their own ID Badge (VISITOR) to wear while in their facility. Honestly once again I would not worry about Badges .. worry about passing your course and getting sponsored first.

Weapons?Or OC Spray?

A: Some Carry Guns.. Most of us here in Miami do .. cause its a Bad Ass Area.. but Carrying a Gun is YOUR OPTION not the States.. They do not say you can carry or not to carry a gun while working as a Surety Agent. ( Remember Your Concealed Weapons Permit is INVALID when Working as an Investigator in FL. Working as a PI in FL and IF you want to carry your firearm you will need a "G" License to accompany your "C" license. While working as a SURETY AGENT in FL .. Your CCW permit is OK .. but it doesnt give you authority to carry as a SURETY AGENT .. your CCW permit allows you to carry just as if you were Joe Citizen .. while being / working as a Surety Agent. Once again I would not worry about Guns .. worry about passing your course and getting sponsored first.

How much are typical start up costs for a surety agency (licensing, insurance etc)

A: Well to start your own Agency you must get appointed by an Insurance Company First.. You must have some sort of Collateral to put against your company so in the Event a Bond goes bad the Insurance Company can take your house lets say and take it from you and sell it to pay the bond that went bad .. thats IF you do not have enough funds in your BUF Fund between you and your insurance company. Now you will need Money an Office / Store Front .. pay rent monthly / electricity / phone / fax.. hire someone to work in the office Mon - Fri 8 am / 9 am to 5pm / 6pm ... except Sat / Sun / Holidays. You will need to start a corporation ... file business taxes.. sales tax.. payroll tax.. etc.. You most likely will need to hire a CPA / Accountant to handle your books as well.. My guesstimate for start up of your OWN BAIL BOND COMPANY.. you better have an easy $300 - $500 K net worth to back you up to have an insurance company take you on as a Surety .. now dont forget that you will also have to pay the General Agent for that Insurance Company his / her % of every bond you write as well. But once again .. I would not worry about Opening your own Bail Bond Office, work at one first as an Agent and Learn the Business .. I am sure you may decide not to open your own after you see how much work it is to maintain.... Just worry about passing your course and getting sponsored first.

What is a professional bail bond agent?
A: A professional bail bond agent uses his/her own money to post bail for defendants by pledging United States currency, United States postal money orders, or cashier's checks as security for the bail bond in connection with a judicial proceeding and receives or is promised money or other things of value for doing so. Professional bail bond agents must be licensed and appointed and complete the same continuing education requirements as a limited surety (bail bond) agent.
What are the qualifications to be a professional bail bond agent?
A professional bail bond agent must meet the same eligibility requirements listed for a bail bond agent, plus file a detailed financial statement under oath with each application, renewal or continuation of appointment, and file with the Office of Insurance Regulation the premium rates to be used for bail bonds to be written. These filings must be made before the professional bail bond agent writes any bail bonds in Florida.

BAIL BOND AGENTS: REMINDER OF TEMPORARY AGENT MINIMUM WAGE REQUIREMENT From “THE PULSE”
Florida Bail bond agents who employ temporary bail bond agents will be required to pay them at least $7.67 per hour worked effective January 1, 2012. The Florida Statutes require a temporary bail bond agent to be employed by a bail bond agent or bail bond agency under subsection 648.25(8) and subsection 648.355(1)(e), F.S.. The term "employed" makes it clear the temporary bail bond agent is covered by the state minimum wage. Section 448.110, Florida Statutes, sets the minimum amount an employer may pay their employee. Florida law requires the Florida Department of Economic Opportunity to calculate a minimum wage rate each year.

Now, Have I seen a TEMP INTERN GET PAID AS TO DATE (May 2012) .. ? NOPE ! I personally have not .. I do not know of ANY Bail Bond Company that wants to pay an income to a Temp Intern Agent when he has Full Agents working for him already ... Paying an Intern would cost a Bail Bond Company Owner in FL approx $915 a month before Taxes..! Most Likely you will get a 1099 if you are paid .. and you will pay your own taxes..
The HARDEST PART is FINDING SPONSORSHIP in FL ..
Online College Course Link for Florida = http://pd.dce.ufl.edu/insurance-pre-lic ... ation.aspx

Bob Dicker, one of the Instructors (Former FBI) (Who was also my Classroom instructor) has a vast amount of knowledge and will make you learn everything there is to learn with his qwerky humor and keep you interested in the course material. Awesome guy and we still keep in touch to date.

Sally Burt, was my Online Instructor. She is a stickler and will be very through in grading your tests / quizes online. She is the one who pretty much wrote the book on FL Bail Guidelines..
FAQ
What Florida laws regulate bail bond agents?
Chapter 648, Florida Statutes and Chapter 69B-221, Florida Administrative Code.

What is a limited surety agent?
The official title of the license issued to bail bond agents in Florida is a limited surety agent license.

What are the requirements to be a bail bond agent?
Prior to becoming licensed as a bail bond agent, the applicant must have obtained a temporary bail bond license and completed the provisions of that license before applying for a limited surety agent license. In addition, the applicant must have the following qualifications:

Be at least age 18 and hold a high school diploma or equivalent.
Be a United States citizen or be a legal alien and a resident of this state
The place of business of the applicant will be in this state
The applicant is vouched for by at least 3 reputable citizens who are residents of the same counties where the bail bond agent will work.
The applicant was never convicted of a felony, or a crime involving moral turpitude, or a crime punishable by imprisonment of 1 year or more.
Applicant has successfully passed the required examination.
The applicant passes the background check conducted by the department.

What is the background check?
The applicant is required to furnish a complete set of fingerprints to be used to obtain a criminal history from the Florida Department of Law Enforcement and the Federal Bureau of Investigation. The application process is not complete until this history is received.

I was convicted of a felony, but I have had my civil rights restored. Can I be a bail bond agent in Florida?
No. Florida Statutes §648.34 states you may not be a bail bond agent if you have ever been convicted of a felony. The restoration of your civil rights does not alter this requirement.

Will it be necessary for me to make an appointment with PearsonVUE to get my photo taken for my license card?
No. It is not necessary to make an appointment to get your photo taken. Your license card will be mailed to you via 2nd day mail.

I am a former certified law enforcement officer. Am I exempt from taking the correspondence course for the bail bond license?
The Florida Statutes do not provide any exemptions from taking the course, regardless of occupation. However, the Florida Statutes §648.355(4) does provide that if you have completed a basic certification course in the criminal justice system of not less than 120 hours within the last 4 years, then you may substitute that course for the required 120 hour course as long as you scored at least a grade of 80% or higher.

Can a law enforcement officer also be a bail bond agent?

No. Florida Statutes §648.44 prohibits law enforcement officers, jailers, attorneys, employees of any jail, judges, or anyone having custody or control over prisoners from being a bail bond agent.

How do I become a temporary bail bond agent?
In order to obtain a temporary bail bond agent license, the applicant must:

Be at least age 18 and hold a high school diploma or equivalent.
Be a United States citizen or be a legal alien and a resident of this state.
The applicant was never convicted of a felony, or a crime involving moral turpitude, or a crime punishable by imprisonment of 1 year or more.
Successfully completed with a grade of 80% or better, a basic certification course in the criminal justice system of not less than 120 hours of classroom instruction.
Successfully completed a correspondence course approved by the department.
The applicant is vouched for by at least 3 reputable citizens who are residents of the same counties where the temporary bail bond agent will work.
Application must be accompanied by an affidavit from the proposed bail bond agent employer verifying employment and attesting to the applicant's integrity and moral character.
All licensing fees must be paid prior to issuance of the license.
How long is a temporary bail bond agent license valid?
The temporary bail bond agent license is effective for a maximum of 18 months.
When can a temporary bail bond agent apply for a permanent bail bond agent license?
A temporary bail bond agent may apply for a limited surety agent (bail bond) license after 12 months and the completion of at least 1,540 hours as a temporary bail bond agent.
How does a temporary bail bond agent show completion of the required hours?
Each month the Temporary Bail Bond Agent Employment Report (DFS-H2-1543) should be notarized and submitted to the department for the hours worked for the previous month.
What can a temporary bail bond agent do?
The temporary bail bond agent has the same authority as a bail bond agent as long as the supervising agent is present at the time.
Can a temporary bail bond agent interview inmates at the jail?
Only if the temporary bail bond agent is accompanied in the interview by the supervising bail bond agent. This would be a part of the training by the supervising bail bond agent to show the temporary bail bond agent the proper way to interview an inmate. The temporary bail bond agent can not conduct this interview alone.

What can a temporary bail bond agent NOT do?
The temporary bail bond agent may not:

Execute or sign bonds
Handle collateral receipts
Deliver bonds to the jail
Operate a bail bond agency away from the supervising bail bond agent.

Can I sign the bail bonds in advance for use by my employees?
No. Florida Statutes §648.441 prohibits any bail bond agent, MGA, or insurer from furnishing any blank forms, applications, stationery, business cards, or other supplies to any person that is not licensed and appointed as a bail bond agent.

Can I pass the fee I am charged by the credit card companies on to the indemnitors obtaining bail bonds?

The fees charged by a credit card company may be passed on to the indemnitor when collateral is obtained through a credit card, if the fees are posted in the agency and on the collateral receipt. These fees cannot be passed on to the customer for premiums paid using a credit card.

When am I required to return the collateral on a bail bond?

Within 21 days after receiving the notice of discharge from the court, the bail bond agent must return the collateral to the proper party. (F.S. §648.571)

What if I do not receive a discharge notice from the court?

The statutes do provide that the bail bond agent will make a written request of the clerk of the court for the county where the bond was posted for the discharge notice on the bond when the bail bond agent has reason to believe the bail bond has or should have been discharged. The clerk of the court then has 7 days to respond to the bail bond agent's request or the bail bond is automatically considered discharged. (F.S. §648.571)

What is considered to be a valid reason for making the request for proof of discharge to the clerk of the court?

There are several occurrences that would be considered reasons for the bail bond agent to make a request to the clerk of the court to verify the discharge of a bond. These instances should be well documented and include:

When the bail bond agent knows that the defendant has been recommitted to the custody of the court,
The defendant has died and the death certificate has been filed with the court, or
The agent knows that the case has been resolved and the bond is no longer needed.
In each of these cases it is the bail bond agent's responsibility to obtain the documentation that supports the agent's position that the bond should be discharged by the court.

Can a bail bond agent require the indemnitor to obtain a certified copy of the discharge prior to the collateral being returned?
No. It is the bail bond agent's responsibility to monitor the case and return the collateral to the proper party in a timely manner. The bail bond agent may not impose additional restrictions or requirements on the collateral.

Can I accept cash for collateral on a bail bond?
Yes, but the funds used as collateral must be kept separate from the other funds of the agent and assets of the agency.

Can I accept cash over $50,000 as collateral on a bail bond?
Yes, but cash that is accepted in an amount over $50,000 must be made payable to the insurer and received in the form of a cashier's check, United States postal money order, certificate of deposit, or money wire.

Can I take real estate as collateral on a bail bond?

Yes, but the mortgage/lien must be in the name of the insurer issuing the bail bond.

How do I account for the collateral accepted on a bail bond?

When a bail bond agent accepts collateral, a written, numbered receipt shall be given, and this receipt shall give in detail a full account of the collateral received.

How must I return the collateral?
The collateral must be returned to the person that provided it for use on the bail bond in the same manner and condition that it was received by the bail bond agent.

What if the bail bond goes into forfeiture and I need to convert the collateral to cash?

When a bond forfeits the bail bond agent must provide the indemnitor and the principal on the bond with 10 days advance notice of the agent's intent to convert the collateral deposit to cash to satisfy the forfeiture.

What if the collateral I am holding is worth more than the amount of the bond that forfeited?
The bail bond agent or insurer is required to refund the excess amount of money received from the conversion of the collateral.

How long must I keep my records?
Records must be kept for at least 3 years after the liability on the bond has been terminated.

How much can I pay an attorney for referring business to me?
Nothing. Florida Statutes §648.44(1) prohibits paying an attorney to refer business to you or your agency. This statute also prohibits a bail bond agent from advising defendants to use a particular attorney or law firm.

What can I do to compensate an inmate for referring business to me?
Nothing. Florida Statutes §648.44(1)(b) prohibits indirectly soliciting defendants on the grounds of the jail.

What are the laws regarding the types of badges I can use?
The only statute that addresses this is §648.44(1)(d), which limits the identification a limited surety agent may wear on the grounds of a jail, courthouse, or any other area where prisoners are confined to the identification issued by the Department of Financial Services. In addition, the use of a badge by a bail bond agent is regulated the same as any other Florida citizen in Chapter 843, F.S. Specifically, §843.085 speaks to the use of badges or any other indicia of authority.

May I meet with the indemnitor at the jail to write the bail bond paperwork?

No. You may only conduct bail bond business with the defendant on the grounds of the jail or courthouse for the purpose of executing a bail bond. [See Florida Statutes §648.44(1)(p)]

Can I use an outside bail bond agent to assist with performing apprehensions or pick-ups?

Yes. However, the agent you select must be a licensed and appointed bail bond agent.

When you talk about the appointed bail bond agent, do they have to be appointed with the same insurance company?

Yes. The power to arrest comes from the bail bond that was written to release a person from jail. The company that issued the bond is the one with the power to make the arrest. The company contracts with their own agents to act on the company's behalf. If the bail bond agent is not appointed to represent the company that issued the bail bond, then the bail bond agent may not be authorized by that company to pick-up their defendant. There is an exception in that the company may provide written permission to a law enforcement officer or any licensed bail bond agent who is appointed to represent at least one company in Florida.

**** How about out of state bail bond agents making an arrest in Florida for an out of state case?****
Out of state agents have very limited powers in Florida, which are granted by the very old (1872) Supreme Court Case, Taylor v. Taintor (83 U.S. 366), and not by Florida law. This law provides that a bail bond agent may enter another state to locate a defendant who was released on a bail bond written by that bail bond agent. If the bail bond agent did not write the bail bond, then they are not authorized to make an arrest. In addition, the bail bond agent must comply with other laws governing the transporting of prisoners across state lines. There is a whole Section on this forum about interstate prisoner transports.. use the Search feature at the Top ...

Can I use a bounty hunter to assist with performing apprehensions or pick-ups?
No. Bounty hunters are not permitted in Florida. (See Florida Statutes §648.30)

How do I update my addresses?
There are currently two ways. Visit "MyProfile" to access your personal license record with the department, or submit the change of address form (#DFS-H2-1564) located on the forms page of our website by mailing it to:

Florida Department of Financial Services
Division of Agent & Agency Services
Bureau of Licensing
200 E. Gaines Street
Tallahassee, Florida 32399-0318

How much of the bail bond premium goes to my build-up fund account? BUF FUND
This will depend on your contract with your MGA or surety company. The Florida Statutes do state the maximum amount to be 40% of the premium.

Can a bail bond agent carry a weapon when conducting an apprehension?
Neither the temporary bail bond agent license nor the limited surety (bail bond) agent license authorize a person to carry a weapon. The Florida Statutes do not specifically address bail bond agents using weapons while working.

Weapon permits are issued through the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services. These permits are issued to qualifying citizens of the state of Florida. You will need to follow the laws related to the issuance of your permits, which include not carrying your weapon in certain locations [See Section 790.06(12), Florida Statutes for a complete listing]. You may want to direct any questions you have regarding your permits to them. Their web site is http://www.doacs.state.fl.us.

Do the Florida Statutes prohibit an attorney from owning a bail bond agency, since an attorney cannot be a bail bond agent?
Yes. Florida Statutes §648.285 specifies the requirements to own a bail bond agency. This statute requires the owner to be a licensed and appointed bail bond agent. Since an attorney cannot be a licensed bail bond agent they would not be allowed to be a bail bond agency owner.

Do the Florida Statutes prohibit a bail bond agent from referring customers to attorneys?
Yes. Subsection §648.44(1)(a), Florida Statutes, states bail bond agents and temporary bail bond agents are prohibited from suggesting or advising the use of any particular attorney to represent his or her principal. Any bail bond agent violating this prohibition is subject to suspension or revocation of their license and commits a first-degree misdemeanor subject to applicable criminal penalties.

What if I have other questions not listed above?

Questions may be emailed to BailBond@MyFloridaCFO.com.

Hope this sums it up ... basically you have LOTS of READING TO DO ! ... The Manual for FL SURETY is about 300 pages most is very dry reading material .. After you Complete your 120 Hour Class Room Course.. and Passing your Online Course INS-3.. then you will have 2 years to find a Bail Bond Company to Sponsor you as a PAID Intern (T235) for 1,540 hours. After the 1,540 hours, you then will be allowed to take your Limited Surety Exam (234) at a Person Vue Testing Center ..if you pass the Final Exam after your internship you will be issued your license by the Dept of Financial Services which does not expire.. but you must keep your Insurance Appointments Current / Active every 2 years or you can not perform any type of bail work in FL.

NABBI Member

"Surprise Sex is the Best Thing to Wake up to, UNLESS, You are in Jail... "

Last edited by NYPD BLUE on Tue 15 May 2012 17:19, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Tue 15 May 2012 17:00 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 455
What Bill said! In my opinion you should write bonds for an existing company so your learning curve will be exponentially quicker. This is a business that if respected, will treat you well. If you get a little full of yourself, it will humble you quickly. I admire your desire to expand your horizons and you can do very well. Go to school on everything about this industry and by that I mean find a mentor. I wrote bonds for five years before I wrote a bond over 25K. Many will disagree and there is more than one way to run a bail business. If you have to ask how much, you cant afford it.

Scott

"Leaders are like Eagles, you never see them in a flock, but one at a time"

Chesapeake Group Investigations, Inc.
Chesapeake Bail Bonds
877-574-0500
301-392-1100 (fax)
301-392-1900 (Office)

Post Posted: Tue 15 May 2012 17:03 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Opening your OWN BAIL BOND AGENCY ?

So, you’re thinking about opening your own bail bond agency? Well, before you open the doors for the first time, a review of the laws and rules affecting bail bond agents and the operation of Florida bail bond agencies is important. After all, you want to create and maintain a successful agency. Insurance laws are located in Title XXXVII of the Florida Statutes and predominantly in Chapter 69B of the Florida Administrative Code. Specifically, Chapters 648 and 903 should be reviewed by all bail bond agents.

Here’s a quick overview of laws and procedures that new (and not-so-new) agents frequently inquire about, along with the applicable cites, for opening and operating a bail bond agency. If that's not for you, maybe you want to check out the guidelines for opening a general insurance agency and a title insurance agency. Coming soon: adjusting firms.

Owning a bail bond agency

A person may not own or have any control in a bail bond agency unless they are a licensed and appointed bail bond agent. Since the Florida Statutes limit who may be a licensed bail bond agent, the following persons would not be allowed to be a bail bond agency owner nor be employed at a bail bond agency. [s. 648.285 and ss. 648.44(2) F.S.]

Jailers or persons employed in any jail
Police officers or employees of a law enforcement agency
Judges, employees of a court, or employees of the clerk of any court
Sheriffs and deputy sheriffs or employees of any sheriff’s department
Attorneys
Persons having the power to arrest or persons who have authority over or control of prisoners
Any person who has been convicted or pleaded guilty or no contest to a felony or a crime involving moral turpitude

Naming your bail bond agency

It is typically not required to seek the Department’s approval of your agency name. However, the use of a name that would be misleading or deceptive in any way should be avoided. Names chosen should not imply that the agency is an insurance company (including bail bond and surety companies), governmental agency, or any other national or state organization. They should also not imply a reduced rate of premium or have the word "free" in it. Any bail bond agent who intends to conduct business under any business name, other than his or her own individual name, is required to file form DFS-H2-1541 with us before they may operate or advertise. [ss. 648.44(6), F.S.]
Designating a primary bail bond agent

Each location of a bail bond agency is required to designate a licensed and appointed primary bail bond agent. This is also done with form DFS-H2-1541. Further, if there is a change in the primary bail bond agent, the owner or new primary agent must notify us within 10 days of the change. A separate form must be filed for each location. The primary bail bond agent is responsible for the overall operation and management of a bail bond agency location, whose responsibilities may include hiring and supervising of all individuals within the location, whether they deal with the public in the solicitation or negotiation of bail bond contracts or in the collection or accounting of money. A person may be designated as a primary bail bond agent for only one location. [s. 648.387, F.S.]

On a related matter, a bail bond agent must notify us within 10 working days if you change your name, residence address, principal business street address or mailing address, e-mail address, or contact telephone numbers. This is quickly and easily done by logging in to your MyProfile account. Alternatively, this is done with form DFS-H2-1564 for the bail bond agent and DFS-H2-1541 for the bail bond agency. [s. 648.421, F.S.]
Obtaining forms

You can download forms from our web site, www.MyFloridaCFO.com/Agents/Licensure/Forms. Any completed form should be submitted to the address or fax number listed on the form.
Hours of operation

The bail bond agency must be open and accessible to the public for at least 8 hours during the normal work day, which is defined as 8:00 am to 6:00 pm, Monday through Friday, except legal holidays. [Rule 69B-221.051, F.A.C.]
All agents appointed to the same surety companies

All bail bond agents who are members of the same agency must be appointed to represent the same surety companies (insurers). Also, if any agent of a bail bond agency is licensed and appointed as a professional bail bond agent, all the agents in the agency must be licensed as one. [s. 648.55, F.S.]
Temporary bail bond agents

A temporary bail bond agent is a person who is employed by a bail bond agent or agency, insurer, or managing general agent. The temporary licensee has similar authority as a licensed bail bond agent. The temporary licensee can: present defendants in court; apprehend, arrest, and surrender defendants to the proper authorities, while accompanied by a supervising bail bond agent or an agent from the same agency; and keep defendants under necessary surveillance. A temporary licensee may not execute or sign bonds, handle collateral receipts, deliver bonds to appropriate authorities, or operate an agency or branch agency separate from the location of the supervising bail bond agent, managing general agent or insurer by whom the licensee is employed. The temporary agent must be paid a salary or wages as required by law. [ss. 648.25(8) and ss. 648.355(8), F.S.; Rule 69B-221.051(4)(b), F.A.C.]
Advertising

Be aware when getting ready to advertise the business. A bail bond agent may not use any verbiage that could be interpreted as a reduced premium rate in any advertisement. When placing any type of advertisement (billboard, telephone book, flyers, etc.) you must include the business name and address you have filed with the department. [ss. 648.44(6)(7), F.S.]
Don’t forget to check out these cites also:

Florida Statute sections
648.285 Bond agency; ownership requirements
648.29 Build-up funds posted by bail bond agent
648.295 Reporting and accounting of funds
648.33 Bail bond rates
648.36 Bail bond agent's records
648.42 Registration of bail bond agents
648.44 Prohibitions; penalty
648.441 Furnishing supplies to unlicensed bail bond agent prohibited
648.442 Collateral security
648.55 All bail bond agents of same agency; licensed by same companies
648.571 Failure to return collateral; penalty

Florida Administrative Code rules
69B-221.095 Soliciting Business
69B-221.110 Premium Shall Be Term Charge; Premium Refund; When
69B-221.145 Use of Credit Cards and Cash Advance Facilities in Conjunction with Issuing Bail Bonds
Where to find these guidelines

You can find all this information, and more, online, such as the Florida Statutes and Administrative Code (rules). Our web address is www.MyFloridaCFO.com/Agents. Be sure to check out the various Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) including ones specifically for bail bond agents and agencies.

NABBI Member

Post Posted: Tue 15 May 2012 17:07 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

OFFICIAL LINK FOR COMPLETE INFO on FLORIDA BAIL BONDS / SURETY AGENTS

http://www.myfloridacfo.com/agents/

NABBI Member

Post Posted: Tue 15 May 2012 17:10 
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Great information NYPD. I had posted a reply but im not sure where it has gone.....
I think I will start small and get my surety license.
Would you be willing to take a look at my resume and pass it along to colleagues?
I am more then willing to work for minimum wage since I already have a good paying job.

**Any opinions or posts represent my own opinions or doings, and in NO WAY reflect my employer(s) or sponsor(s) ideas or doings, and are the voice of my own, and not my employer(s). **

Post Posted: Tue 15 May 2012 17:24 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FloridaInvestigator wrote:
Great information NYPD. I had posted a reply but im not sure where it has gone.....
I think I will start small and get my surety license.
Would you be willing to take a look at my resume and pass it along to colleagues?
I am more then willing to work for minimum wage since I already have a good paying job.

Finding Sponsorship is going to be the hardest to find....

Here in Miami alone you have over 3000 Bail Agents ... its a dog eat dog world in Miami ... You trying to come into an Office will only slice the pie thinner for the already working Agents .. and will be frowned upon .. remember .. this is a business to make money .. not friends.. you can easily be back stabbed in this business as I found out the hard way very recently .. but I recovered ..pulled the knife out of my back and am still doing what I do just without one particular agency... Their Loss .. Definitely Not My Loss..

After you get enrolled in the class .. go to all your local bail bond companies and talk with the owners... you may get lucky and find someone to take you on .. its not going to be easy but keep your head up .. thats why I say ..dont give up your day job..while doing Bail..

Good Luck

NABBI Member

Post Posted: Tue 15 May 2012 17:37 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 1474
All I can say is WOW, some really good info NYPD Blue... only one thing I might add...

What you need to start up your agency... fill all requirements for legality, whatever that may cost and then get hooked with a surety company, after you get all the proper credentials... all you really need is a car, a cell phone and a couple of ink pens... not trying to be flip here but that is all you really need... what you may want is another subject... you just need to get to the jail, have all your ducks in a row and be able to communicate...

... that is all I had when I started over 12 years ago... (although, I do have a much nicer cell phone now!)... and frankly... all the other stuff is just window dressing... you can be successful if you market yourself properly and stay legal in your dealings with people.

Physical offices.... guns.... tasers... any and all the other paraphernalia... fancy cars with all the computers and other stuff... is totally not needed starting out... as you have been advised by Mr. Jeff... get licensed and hook up with some knowledgeable people... but as you have been told... that may be almost an impossible feat in the Florida environment...

... damn....... 3000 agents in Miami.............. I wouldn't even consider it.... I think JC Pennys is hiring... :roll: :mrgreen:

PS... day job is paramount... I drove a truck and wrote bail from 1999 until I retired from UPS in 2005 (after about 28 years of truckin')... now bail is just my supplemental income deal.... I like the work but frankly... if I don't write a damn thing... I won't starve. That has a tendency to make me rrreeeaaaallll picky on what I write.

One other thing........... do a lot of research on the agency and/or the surety you hook up with... believe nothing, be very skeptical, check out everything you can.... this is a very, very slick business and you have to be very, very vigilant in you proceedings.

DCJS: 99-176979
Cell: 434-294-0222

"Endeavor to Persevere" "Lone Watie"

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that , comes from bad judgment" "Will Rogers"

Post Posted: Tue 15 May 2012 17:41 
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

It was almost as hard getting sponsored as a CC...but I finally did it, and now I work as a insurance fraud investigator/analyst at one of the biggest insurance fraud/SIU companies in the U.S
I will work on getting the license. Is anyone interested in looking at my resume and passing it along to people who may be looking? I know I asked before, but since I am a member if FRN, I figured it would help.
Also, any organizations I should join that may boost my chances of getting sponsored?

FRN Forums » PUBLIC SECTION » Open Discussion