Impersonating a Police Officer • PUBLIC SECTION • Open Discussion • Fugitive Recovery Network (FRN) Forums
FRN Banner
wordpress-ad

Post subject: Impersonating a Police Officer
 Post Posted: Fri 16 Mar 2012 10:27 
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 0
Experience: 5 - 7 years
Recently here in the Tri-Cities (Richland, Kennewick, Pasco WA) we have had a recovery agent posing as a police officer and he was even featured on Kennewick's most wanted. This is his third offense at either directly claiming to be a police officer or inferring he is one. How he keeps his license is beyond me.

That said, I wanted to let everyone know that Bail Recovery Services LLC is in no way associated with this individual. None of our agents or any associated with us would pose as a police officer and if they did they would be dealt with appropriatly.

Lets keep our profession just that, a profession.

Ken Meyers
Managing Member
Bail Recovery Services LLc

Post subject: Re: Impersonating a Police Officer
 Post Posted: Fri 16 Mar 2012 11:20 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 4006
Experience: More than 10 years
This sort of thing is a big problem in this business. Some do indeed pose as LEO's and they eventually get jacked up over it, and rightfully so. However, it can also be the result of malicious or misguided complaints. I once interviewed the neighbor of a skip I was looking for, and despite identifying myself as a Bail/Fugitive Recovery Agent and even giving her a business card with my company name (that does not resemble any government or LE Agency at all) she told the skips wife that the "FBI" had questioned her about her husband (the skip), so she called the FBI to inquire about it. I was able to clear it up with the FBI without any problems but it's definitely not the kind of situation I like to be in.

Also, some may not like me saying this but those that give themselves "titles" like Sgt, Lt, etc... and those that have company names that sound like official government agencies are inviting problems like this. If you are doing this please re-think it.

Post Posted: Fri 16 Mar 2012 11:42 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3902
Recently I was interviewing a guy about a skip that I knew that he also knew. He went inside and asked his wife/girlfriend to come outside and talk to me. During the conversation she called me "officer". I explained as I had to the guy that I was a Bail Agent. She turns to the guy and said "you told me the police were here". No way did I represent myself as a law enforcement officer. Everything was fine from there, but I can see how an innocent person can be falsely accused of impersonating a cop.

I wouldn't get upset with you Chuck, I agree 100 percent!!

Asheville NC 28804
828-777-8667
Lic # NC10013561
Lic # TN 2033018

Never be haughty to the humble
or humble to the haughty - Jefferson Davis

Post Posted: Fri 16 Mar 2012 11:52 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3904
Chuck, were you dress in suit and tie?

Just the way one looks, talks and act may make people think that you are LE.

When I go to court, I am always asked if I am an attorney. I wear suit, tie and carry my clients file. Soooooooo, I look like a lawyer.

Even after telling a court clerk and DA that I was the bondsman, they still called me counselor and had me sit with the "lawyers."

Go figure.

Post Posted: Fri 16 Mar 2012 13:12 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 1474
tsuggs wrote:
When I go to court, I am always asked if I am an attorney. I wear suit, tie and carry my clients file. Soooooooo, I look like a lawyer..

Tony, it is because you are so official looking....

I do try to dress professionally when in court also but if the weather is a bit cool... I may have on a light tan jacket that has the words "Bail Bonds" in large blue letters on the back... I sit on the second row and the rest of the "galley", seated to my rear, has no problem identifying my occupation... of course when out working I always dress appropriately... but I will also say the if I am on the hunt... I usually dress like I am on the way to the beach.... and in the 12 years I have been in this business, I have never been mistaken for LE... or the FBI..... I have been confused with the Pizza delivery guy or UPS delivery man on several occasions.... of course, having retired from UPS, I have a few hats, shirts, jackets and other paraphernalia... go figure... 8) in fact, if i knock on a door and I have on one of my old UPS hats... I don't even have to say who I am... they just open the door, expecting a nice package, look at me... and say................. "oh.............sht.............." :oops: 8)

DCJS: 99-176979
Cell: 434-294-0222

"Endeavor to Persevere" "Lone Watie"

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that , comes from bad judgment" "Will Rogers"

Post Posted: Fri 16 Mar 2012 15:48 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 4006
tsuggs wrote:
Chuck, were you dress in suit and tie?

Just the way one looks, talks and act may make people think that you are LE.

When I go to court, I am always asked if I am an attorney. I wear suit, tie and carry my clients file. Soooooooo, I look like a lawyer.

Even after telling a court clerk and DA that I was the bondsman, they still called me counselor and had me sit with the "lawyers."

Go figure.

Yes, that is my "tactical Gear" a red tie with little elephants that I got for Christmas one year. I dress business casual with black or khaki pants, button down shirt and tie, plus a jacket. I always wear a jacket even when it's hot, so that I can conceal certain tools of the trade.

We all have our own approach, on recoveries I may seem very relaxed but I'm always on high alert concerning my surroundings. I try to kill them with kindness most of the time. When I get aggression I usually respond with "why are you swearing/yelling at me" or "I'm sorry I've upset you". I really don't care how much of an Ahole someone I'm interviewing is as long as I can keep them talking long enough for them to let something slip.

Post Posted: Fri 16 Mar 2012 20:36 
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Experience: < 3 years
LtKen wrote:
This is his third offense at either directly claiming to be a police officer or inferring he is one. How he keeps his license is beyond me.

:evil: This is one of my biggest pet peeves. And I don't have very many of those. Your reference to his inference is nonsensical, unless he has assumed he is a police officer due to his own actions. The correct word to be used in that sentence in place of inferring is implying.

And a quick side-note, avoiding any word judo and just stating the obvious, which has already been hinted at:

"Ltken"... The name implies what could be considered to purposely imply that you are either a member of the armed services or a LEO, if you are either of these things in any capacity be it the reserves of either of the latter or such, okay. But if you are not, and you do indeed title yourself "Lieutenant", I can understand why you would feel a need to assure people you have no connection with this individual.

Post Posted: Mon 19 Mar 2012 21:43 
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Experience: < 1 year
speezack wrote:
tsuggs wrote:
When I go to court, I am always asked if I am an attorney. I wear suit, tie and carry my clients file. Soooooooo, I look like a lawyer..

Tony, it is because you are so official looking....

I do try to dress professionally when in court also but if the weather is a bit cool... I may have on a light tan jacket that has the words "Bail Bonds" in large blue letters on the back... I sit on the second row and the rest of the "galley", seated to my rear, has no problem identifying my occupation... of course when out working I always dress appropriately... but I will also say the if I am on the hunt... I usually dress like I am on the way to the beach.... and in the 12 years I have been in this business, I have never been mistaken for LE... or the FBI..... I have been confused with the Pizza delivery guy or UPS delivery man on several occasions.... of course, having retired from UPS, I have a few hats, shirts, jackets and other paraphernalia... go figure... 8) in fact, if i knock on a door and I have on one of my old UPS hats... I don't even have to say who I am... they just open the door, expecting a nice package, look at me... and say................. "oh.............sht.............." :oops: 8)

Oh Lord!!! If I were to wear your jacket in an Indiana court room, I would be doomed!! lol We cant even have a bail agency logo on a vehicle that we drive to the jail to post the bonds that we write. Indiana is really strict about advertising and other things. Makes me think about moving to a friendlier state

Cell- 317-640-0724

FRN Forums » PUBLIC SECTION » Open Discussion