continued education • PUBLIC SECTION • Open Discussion • Fugitive Recovery Network (FRN) Forums
FRN Banner
wordpress-ad

Post subject: continued education
 Post Posted: Mon 19 Sep 2011 10:41 
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 0
Experience: More than 10 years
I have been a licensed/bonded P.I. in AZ since 1999. Recently I submitted my application/prints and photo to become an FRA and have passed through the red tape. I am seeing where most 'academies', bounty hunters schools, or online colleges are talking about taking courses in skip tracing, investigations, interrogations, etc...everything I have been doing since 1999.

Is there something in the A.R.S. that I have missed? What schooling to I have to certify for?

Your help is appreciated!

AZ Lic # 1002269
ArizonaPIs.com

Post subject: Re: continued education
 Post Posted: Mon 19 Sep 2011 13:35 
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Experience: < 1 year
Before everyone gets on you, put a introduction in the introduction section. They'll help you, but they'll help you a lot more if they know who you are. Figured I tell you, so they'll help you a lot quicker. Unfortunately I know nothing about AZ law, but someone on here will.

Good Luck

Post Posted: Mon 19 Sep 2011 14:04 

To do Bail Enforcement/Fugitive Recovery work in AZ, you must register with the AZ Dept of Insurance (ADOI), pay the $24 fee, and supply them with your DPS fingerprint card. It has to be a totally separate fingerprint card, too. The one for your PI or any other agency (even guard) will not work. Also you must never have been convicted in any jurisdiction of theft or of any felony or any crime involving carrying or the illegal use or possession of a deadly weapon or dangerous instrument. (ARS 13-3885 C) Then in order to operate as a BEA/FRA, you must be contracted by an AZ licensed Bail Bondsman. (ARS 13-3885 B(2)) It can be either a hire-type scenario, or an independent contractor situation, either is good. No training or other documentation is required. BEA/FRA must re-register with the ADOI every three years. See ARS 13-3885 here: http://www.azleg.gov/FormatDocument.asp?inDoc=/ars/13/03885.htm&Title=13&DocType=ARS.

AZ licensed bail bondsman is a test on the statutes and laws that govern bail bonds in AZ. Passing that test not only allows you to operate in the state as a Bail Bondsman, it also allows you to work with out of state bondsmen with regard to capturing fugitives in AZ (See ARS 13-3885 E), and also absolves you from the every three-year re-register requirement for BEA/FRA.

I have recommended CompassPoint Investigations' class to a couple of folks in AZ, because the instructor is reputable and the content seems excellent. I personally have never taken the course, but have heard nothing but good about it. Since training is not required in AZ, "schools" and the like are hard to come by.

Hope this helps!

Post Posted: Mon 19 Sep 2011 14:14 
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

CPI is definately good I'm using there course now, very up to date and extremely knowledgable!

Post Posted: Mon 19 Sep 2011 16:12 
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Eric:

Thank you for your response. Not wanting to seem ignorant, let alone kicking a dead horse, but I still have yet to get an answer to my question.

I thoroughly understand and know the AZ statutes for the ins-and-outs of acquiring a FRA license, as well as the AZ laws regarding the boundaries FRA's have to follow. It does not 'appear' that a FRA has to take any classes. Bondsmen, on the other hand, appear to need to get certified regarding statutes. A Bondsman, who has the Bail Bond business, is different from a FRA, correct? So am I reading your answer correctly where you say Bail Bondsmen are required to get certified, whereas FRA just gets licensed through AZ Dept. of Insurance?

Thank you in adavnce should you choose to respond.

Julia D'Alfonzo
Lien & Bond Investigative Services

AZ Lic # 1002269
ArizonaPIs.com

Post Posted: Tue 20 Sep 2011 09:53 

That is correct, there is no training requirement or certification requirement for FRA only. In order to write bail in AZ, you must be a licensed bail bondsman. FRAs cannot write bail, and can only work under the authority of an AZ licensed bondsman. Bail bondsmen, however, can do FRA work under their bondsman's license. So here, the FRA is truly an "agent" of the bondsman, executing his/her authority to remand the principle to his/her custody, or to jail. Many states operate this way, but more and more states are requiring training and/or certification of FRAs to minimize risk. Personally I feel it would help the industry altogether, but as of now AZ FRA does not require training.

I hope this answers your question a little more clearly.

Post Posted: Tue 20 Sep 2011 10:06 
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Regarding to what sandman said, in a person in my situation, no experience as a FRA, LEO, or military experience, keep in mind that I want to learn everything about the FRA/Bail Bond industry from the ground up, would it be better to become a licensed FRA or a licensed bail bondsman?

Post Posted: Tue 20 Sep 2011 10:19 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3904
You may find it easier to become a bondsman first and work skips internally for the company you work for. Then go out on your own or with a strictly recovery agency.

However, depending your loction either option may take a lot of time to get started due to the economy.

Post Posted: Tue 20 Sep 2011 10:30 
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

I'm in NYC, good thought to consider, I was actually focusing in on FRA, figured I do have 7 years of financial background from with stocks, bonds and mutual funds, I can focus in on the bail bond market, mainly the bail agent position after I feel I have adequate experience as a FRA. The FRA position gets me excited, versus the bail agent position which doesn't excite me as much.

Post Posted: Tue 20 Sep 2011 11:11 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 1474
skippy wrote:
I'm in NYC, The FRA position gets me excited, versus the bail agent position which doesn't excite me as much.

Oh you may find that the bonding business gets you excited toooooooooooooo............ :shock: :shock:

First of all, being in NYC should create it's own brand of excitement, add to that, if you are a licensed bondsman in NY... the first time you have a $10,000 skip on you... and you find out that he is a member of a gang in the Bronx.. you will get really excited.. and then you can go after him yourself and then it gets even more exciting... especially when you corner him in an alley and 5 of his "Bloods" buddies step out of a doorway...

... smiling at you.... it really gets exciting... bonding is really exciting... 8) 8) and when you get out of the ICU ward at St. Barnabas over on 3rd. Ave.... you can work on getting your FRA license.... and go for some really great excitement.... :shock:

DCJS: 99-176979
Cell: 434-294-0222

"Endeavor to Persevere" "Lone Watie"

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that , comes from bad judgment" "Will Rogers"

FRN Forums » PUBLIC SECTION » Open Discussion