BEA Licensing & Training Standards... • PUBLIC SECTION • Open Discussion • Fugitive Recovery Network (FRN) Forums
FRN Banner
wordpress-ad

Post subject: BEA Licensing & Training Standards...
 Post Posted: Fri 09 Sep 2011 16:23 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 1988
Experience: More than 10 years
Several states now require Bail Enforcement Agents be licensed, as well as being trained to a standard. Therefore my question is does you state require enforcement personnel be licensed, and if so what training is required, and is annual continuing education required.

Tel: 1-800-387-0787

Anti-Moral Majority Club President
"Fear not the unknown, Fear the person who controls the unknown" Gene 7:14

Post subject: Re: BEA Licensing & Training Standards...
 Post Posted: Fri 09 Sep 2011 16:32 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3902
Can only speak for my state. Our licensing process is mostly about Bailbonds with a little recovery info mixed in. My state dosen't allow free lance Bounty Hunting so there is little need to train in recovery work... I'm also licensed in TN but will let the more experienced TN agents address your question for fear of my unintentional misleading statements concerning TN laws as it relates to your question.

Take care

Asheville NC 28804
828-777-8667
Lic # NC10013561
Lic # TN 2033018

Never be haughty to the humble
or humble to the haughty - Jefferson Davis

Post Posted: Fri 09 Sep 2011 17:00 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 340
Quote:
My state dosen't allow free lance Bounty Hunting
same here.
To be a Licensed Bail Bond Agent, there is no requirements other than; a clean (read as NONE, other than traffic) criminal history, a class and pass a State exam.

Been trying to get to be otherwise . . .

Do not consider anything for your interest which makes you break your word, quit your modesty, or inclines you to any practice which will not bear the light, or look the world in the face .... Marcus Antonius

I AM Some Folks "KARMA" and A MODERATOR @ FRN

Post Posted: Fri 09 Sep 2011 21:52 

Arizona does not require training, bail bondsmen must pass a test & have a clean history to be licensed, and agents need only to have a clean history & pay the $24 FBI processing fee for your fingerprint card. I often wish training were required in some capacity out here, or at least available.

Post Posted: Sat 10 Sep 2011 09:40 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3904
California,

Training, licensing.......

Thats a good one. :lol:

Post Posted: Sat 10 Sep 2011 20:01 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3077
Experience: 5 - 7 years
Here in TN. it is similar to what Bill stated.Our training class pretty much consists of mostly Bail Bonding and there is the TAPBA is the ONLY organization that is recognized to conduct these classes.
I went through training with another company at one point in time that covered room clearing,subject control and verbal Judo and a few other things that I found would be beneficial but that class had nothing to do with TAPBA but it should in my opinion.

I was hoping our very own Scott Harrell would talk the state and TAPBA into allowing his online course to be accepted but I money is standing in the way of that deal.They dont want anyone else getting the money that they feel they deserve and in doing so they are denying a valuable asset and resource to any Recovery agents here in TN. At some point I plan on taking Scotts course anyway just as an educational tool.Also going to be taking his PI course soon too if all goes well,At least thats recognised here!!

Cell:(931)551-5020

Post Posted: Tue 13 Sep 2011 08:32 
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 2746
No training Per Se in TN. As stated, one 8 hour class annually, mainly aimed towards bonding companies. At the end of the class, no exam and you leave with the shiny picture I.D. stating that you are compliance with the TN Code.
Its pathetic.
Considering the importance of the job, the tasks that we carry out, and our ongoing interaction with Law Enforcement and the court system, its an outcry as to the lack of training.
I am feeling more and more resistance from local PD towards Bounty Hunters, but at the same time, a few of them have shared stories about some of the cowboys running around.
At the end of the day, in my opinion, the lack of any real training and licensing is a black eye to those of us that do this as a career when our so called "peers" who payed $225 and slept through a 8 hour class are running around town making us look bad.

Tel: 865-389-3261

Post Posted: Wed 14 Sep 2011 08:41 
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 0
Experience: 3 - 5 years
My state is similar to the above. Take a training course, have a clean record, and pass the state exam. Most of the training and exam, cover bail bonding and the department of insurance. My state does require continuing education and that tends to be where a person picks up their specific training. Usually it's firearms training, and usually it's the same class over and over. Once in a while a person will take something different like use of force, or restraint but it's pretty rare.

I kind of wish we could have separate training courses for recovery/bonding. Once you have passed your state exam it's up to you to seek out training if you want it. Since it's not required training for your license most people don't do it on their own.

I would really like to see a course covering the courts, their operations, how to handle yourself in a court room, etc... But again, unless you make it mandatory, no one will attend.

State Approved Courses for POST and DIFP
Located in Central/Southwest Missouri/St. Louis/Kansas City

Post Posted: Wed 14 Sep 2011 13:31 
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 0
Experience: < 1 year
I have to agree with a lot of what everyone is saying, I am an inexperienced person, that has no experience in law enforcement, military and fugitive recovery, but yet a person such as myself can go to a course that mainly has to do with the bail bond agent, get a license and then attempt to catch the bail fugitive with no experience, in investigating, use of force, equipment, etc, etc. To me thats just a mix for disaster, I definitely agree with the fact that someone such as myself should go through some training, and some significant in-field training before anyone should be a fully licensed and insured recovery agent. Its like giving any random person that can pass a Police Department entry test a badge, a gun, cuffs and a squad car and telling them go catch the bad guy, with no training , just doesn't make sense.
Like PA law to me yea its easy to get into the business, all you really need is a 235 license and to be insured under the State Department of Insurance, yea it's easy to start a business in that state but safety and liability wise does it make sense? Not to me.

PS if i stated somethings incorrect excuse my ignorance, please. I also like to thank all of you for making this forum available to people such as myself that want to get into fugitive recovery and learn the correct, responsible, legit way.

Post Posted: Thu 22 Sep 2011 12:18 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 5
Lol @ The Almighty Weasel.... :lol: I was surprised when the Ca. Legislature allowed the 1299 and 832 requirements to expire. I suspect though, that in the future, they will be re-instated.

My state right now is an unlicensed and unregulated state. This has its pros and cons. However, in my own opinion, we are slowly progressing towards some sort of regulation within the next few years. The reason I say this is because my state in 2009 created a regulatory commission overseeing the private security industry. They have now established licensing fees, background checks, firearms training for armed positions, etc. According to the website, anyone who is currently engaged in this type of work has to be compliant no later than December of this year.

The Act reads as follows:

Quote:
Armed Security Guard License

Last Updated on Tuesday, 26 January 2010

The state of Alabama requires a state license for any person seeking employment as an armed security guard. There are certain requirements in the state of Alabama to qualify for an armed security guard license in order to work as an armed guard. This includes training at a state certified training facility for the amount of hours required by the state and weapons training.

These requirements are:
Armed security guards must be at least 21 years old.
A valid Alabama driver’s license is required.
A state pistol license will be needed when applying
A high school diploma or an equivalency certificate
A written questioner must be filled out, both front and back.
The required amount of hours of training at a state certified facility must be completed.
A social security number is requested.
The applicant will submit to a background check.
The applicant will submit to fingerprinting.

The applicant will have no felony convictions or serious misdemeanor offensives. The armed security guard is required to have a higher amount of training than the unarmed security guard, since they will be armed with a weapon. This due to the fact this applicant will have a greater insurance risk and have more responsibilities. The training that is needed will be done at a state certified facility and a weapons license from the state of Alabama would also be required.

The training will include:
There will be training in legal and ethical issues.
Training in the state laws involving the use of force.
How to deal with medical emergencies including CPR.
How to deal with fire emergencies.
Weapons training, including target and marksmen training
Legal issues and use of force
Limited types of arrest
Detainment of suspects
Proper written reports.

These are some of the areas the Alabama licensed armed security guard will find employment. The license the armed security guard carries and their weapons license will need to be renewed every four years. There will also be requirements to keep the licensing up to date with yearly refresher courses in both security training and weapons qualifications.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Notice:

LEAVE ORI AND REASON FINGERPRINTED SECTION OF FINGERPRINT CARDS BLANK DO NOT PUT ANYTHING IN THE TWO SECTIONS.
SECTION 2. ABI-46 IS FOR BOARD USE ONLY DO NOT SIGN OR DATE IN SECTION 2.

If applicant enters any information in these sections application will be returned without consideration.

Certified Trainer Application Package

Certified Trainer Application Package -- Fill-able

Company Application Package

Company Application Package -- Fill-able

Personal Application Package

Personal Application Package -- Fill-able

Qualifying Agent Application Package

Qualifying Agent Application Package -- Fill-able

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RANDY & JIM 334-269-9990
http://www.asrb.alabama.gov
http://www.local-security-guard.com
http://www.security-license.com/licensing/Alabama
Alabama Electronic Security Board of Licensure

7956 Vaughn Road, PMB 392
Montgomery, Alabama 36116
Phone: (334) 264-9388
Fax: (334) 264-9332
http://www.aesbl.com/

FRN Forums » PUBLIC SECTION » Open Discussion