Handcuffs. • PUBLIC SECTION • Open Discussion • Fugitive Recovery Network (FRN) Forums
FRN Banner
wordpress-ad

Post subject: Handcuffs.
 Post Posted: Fri 29 Jul 2011 21:37 
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 0
Experience: < 3 years
Just a few questions... looking for some different opinions...
Anyone on here use in the past, or currently use; rigid cuffs? If so, what was your experience with them? What potential liability issues could there be using them?

Hinged vs. Chain?

Anyone on here using flex cuffs? Any disadvantages?

I do not do recovery full time, so I only have 2 pairs of handcuffs at the moment. I have one pair of S&W Model 300 Hinged handcuffs, and 1 pair of chained ASP Handcuffs. I have the hinged cuffs for the apprehension and the chained cuffs for transport.

Post subject: Re: Handcuffs.
 Post Posted: Tue 02 Aug 2011 10:40 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3904
Experience: More than 10 years
There is no liability issue if, you arrest the correct person and use the cuffs properly.

Post Posted: Tue 02 Aug 2011 14:19 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3671
Experience: 3 - 5 years
I personally hate hinged cuffs. Tougher to maneuver in a tactical situation. Made one of my agents leave his home and by a chain pair.

Ca. Bail Agent Lic#1845795
Owner/Operator, Thomas Duprey Bail Bonds
Owner/Operator, Orange County Bounty
(714) 727-4689

Post Posted: Tue 02 Aug 2011 17:48 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 340
I agree with Tony. There is no liability when re-arresting the correct person and properly applying the cuffs. You will find that hinged cuffs are not very workable for the large person and cuffing them behind. Some times multiple sets are required. There is a thread here about cuffs . . . utilize the search function. There is also a guy here (used to be til he went to war in another country) that used a hinged set with a rigid retainer encasing hinge (looking for a photo) . . . one hand application ;)
The choice is all in the user . . . use what you feel comfortable with and what works best for you. One will only get one chance at getting the cuffs on before they realize what is really happening

Do not consider anything for your interest which makes you break your word, quit your modesty, or inclines you to any practice which will not bear the light, or look the world in the face .... Marcus Antonius

I AM Some Folks "KARMA" and A MODERATOR @ FRN

Post Posted: Wed 03 Aug 2011 14:41 
Posting Newbie
Posting Newbie

Experience: < 1 year
One thing I want to mention about handcuffs is make sure you always double lock them. If you don't the suspect can sit on them and tighten them causing injury which you may be liable for. Also, when you apply handcuffs make sure you can get your finger under them to ensure they are not too tight.

If you are using flex cuffs, make sure you buy REAL flex cuffs and not some knock-offs. Zip-Ties do not work as flex cuffs.

If you are doing transports invest in belly chains and leg irons. This will prevent injury to your suspect and provide more comfort to them for the journey. I know comfort isn't your prime concern, but a comfortable suspect will usually be a cooperative suspect.

Lastly, if you haven't done so take a handcuffing class. Not only is it to CYA but it will allow you to practice various cuffing techniques to see what you are comfortable with. The goal is safe, rapid cuffing. You won't be good at every technique but you need to be good at some or else you wont get hurt.

I will post this warning for everyone - when I was on the PD we had an officer seriously injured by a pair of handcuffs. The officer was attempting to arrest a violent suspect and had one handcuff on him. The suspect broke free and attempted to punch the officer. The free cuff opened and the prawl caught the officer right above the eye causing a significant gash and almost taking the eye out. Make sure your cuffs are properly "loaded" to prevent them from flying open and always maintain control of your cuffs.

(360) 873-8945

Post Posted: Fri 19 Aug 2011 07:31 
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

I use the S&W 104 (max.Sec.) the non standard key is a plus. Ther is a comp. www.magnalight that makes a plastic key. It is designed to avoid a metal det. It is so small it would be hard to find. On the sight www.oktrooper.com it shows how to break a cuff chain with a seat bealt . The Nat. Istuitute of Justice created a updated standard for cuffs on Jult 2010 (0307.02)

Post Posted: Fri 19 Aug 2011 10:07 
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Experience: 3 - 5 years
I have used both in the past. I must agree though that with proper application there is a very minimal risk of anything happening. I stopped using rigid and went back to hinge for one reason only. I like to guide my customers to the car with on hand on the shoulder and one on the cuff.

I am what I am and not what I never will be

Post Posted: Sat 20 Aug 2011 15:33 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3828
After cuffing our guys initially at the apprehension stage with use either Hinged or Link Cuffs depending on which agent grabs the subject.. then prior to placing the subject into the car for transport to the jail we Plastic Flex Cuff them so we dont get our handcuffs stolen by the Corrections guys at the jail cause there are usually an easy 5 - 30 prisoners being booked one after another...

NABBI Member

"Surprise Sex is the Best Thing to Wake up to, UNLESS, You are in Jail... "

Post Posted: Sat 20 Aug 2011 23:38 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Experience: 7 - 10 years
I only use the hinged cuffs if we are transporting hands in front. We can cuff the def in front with no ability to twist ect, then a cuff between the door handle and the outside cuff.

360 237 1721 efax
408 402 2710 work cell
DOI Bail Agent Lic 1844214
BSIS G1533544

Go hug a Tree

Post Posted: Sun 21 Aug 2011 08:12 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 455
Mike, you can never secure a defendant to the vehicle other than seat bets. Should you get in an accident and the defendant is not able to be extricated, that is all on you.

Scott

"Leaders are like Eagles, you never see them in a flock, but one at a time"

Chesapeake Group Investigations, Inc.
Chesapeake Bail Bonds
877-574-0500
301-392-1100 (fax)
301-392-1900 (Office)

FRN Forums » PUBLIC SECTION » Open Discussion