NC State Law, dictates what is professional attire (Almost) • PUBLIC SECTION • Open Discussion • Fugitive Recovery Network (FRN) Forums
FRN Banner
wordpress-ad

Post subject: NC State Law, dictates what is professional attire (Almost)
 Post Posted: Mon 04 Jul 2011 17:26 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3902
Experience: More than 10 years
In NC, Wear a Badge, go to jail and lose your license. Wear a jacket that says Fugitive Recovery Agent, go to jail and lose your license, Enter a third party residence, go to jail, lose your license, (you can ask permission and if permission is given you are allowed to enter, when LE shows up don't be surprised if the homeowner say's permission wasn't given) Want to apprehend a fugitive, better make sure you are appointed by the insurance company that posted bond on the fugitive or a runner for the Bondsman that posted bail on the fugitive, otherwise, go to jail and lose your license. You're a "Bounty Hunter" looking to apprehend a fugitive in NC, go to jail.

Don't let a persons years in this business give you a false sense of security when asking for advice. I've known several people in this business that have twenty five plus years as Bondsman and Bail Agents that can't tell you the seven reasons you can revoke a persons bond and not return the premium. I've seen Bondsman try and charge more than the maximim premium allowed in NC, when I've asked why they are doing that they said they drove outside their normal area and should be compensated. This is a felony but these so called experienced Bondsman felt they were right in trying to charge more than the law allows. Sad part is, they truly thought they were within their legal rights to do this. I saw a guy try and take a car worth in excess of 7 grand (collateral) on a 1000.00 bond. (this is also a crime) Again, he thought this act was legal.

I'm obviously dealing with NC Bail Laws... There is so much more but I won't take up the space.

Want to act and look as if you know what you're doing ? Try this.

Know the Bail Laws in your state and any other state you will be working in.

After you "suite up" look in the mirror, make sure you're clean shaven, your clothes are pressed, hair combed, beard trimmed, shoes shined, if you're tired from a few late nights get a bottle of visine.

Heck, I'm sounding like I'm back in the military, but I won't work with anyone who doesn't take pride in his/ her appearance. Fact is, if you look like you are prepared to take on the day you're going to feel more confident and the defendant will have confidence in your ability to take his butt to jail. The jail personell will also look at you in a different light. The "Experienced" guys I mentioned above are no longer in this business and they didn't recieve more than NC law allows...

If there is anyone interested in NC Bail Laws please feel free to PM me..I'll be happy to help any way I can.

BTW.. I'm newly licensed in TN, so i have a ton of learning about TN Bail laws.

Asheville NC 28804
828-777-8667
Lic # NC10013561
Lic # TN 2033018

Never be haughty to the humble
or humble to the haughty - Jefferson Davis

Post subject: Re: NC State Law, dictates what is professional attire (Almo
 Post Posted: Tue 05 Jul 2011 00:39 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 340
Quote:
that can't tell you the seven reasons you can revoke a persons bond and not return the premium.

Interesting . . . so in NC you have to a "reason" . . . :D

Do not consider anything for your interest which makes you break your word, quit your modesty, or inclines you to any practice which will not bear the light, or look the world in the face .... Marcus Antonius

I AM Some Folks "KARMA" and A MODERATOR @ FRN

Post Posted: Tue 05 Jul 2011 07:38 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Actually, Luvonda, you don't need a reason to revoke a person's bond. Just apprehend the defendant and place back in jail, get your paperwork signed, file the motion and you're through.

If, however, you plan on keeping the premium the revocation had better be for one or more of the seven reasons provided by state law.

I sometimes get a little touchy about those not following the Bail laws in this state. Over the years I have seen some shady business practices in our profession. We now have a Bail Association working hand in hand with the NC Department of Insurance to weed these people out of this business.

Strange, the more pro-active we get in getting rid of the bad seeds in this business, the more our membership in our Association grows. We are approximately 1300 members strong and growing every year.

Honor is a big deal with me and my family and thankfully it is a big deal with our Association. Some of our members are active in politics, at least one is a State Senator, we have many members that have completed Basic Law Enforcement Training (BLET) A few are county commissioners, the President of our Association is very much involved in politics and is BLET certified among many other accomplishments.

Now I'm rambling and off topic...Sorry !!

Asheville NC 28804
828-777-8667
Lic # NC10013561
Lic # TN 2033018

Post Posted: Tue 05 Jul 2011 08:42 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 340
DAYUM these two dimensional means of communication ! ! !
My previous post was done while laughing out loud. I have been writing Bail for more than a minute and I take my business very serious. Only takes ONE DUMBAZZ to end it for all . . . Bail OR Recovery . . .

Do not consider anything for your interest which makes you break your word, quit your modesty, or inclines you to any practice which will not bear the light, or look the world in the face .... Marcus Antonius

I AM Some Folks "KARMA" and A MODERATOR @ FRN

Post Posted: Tue 05 Jul 2011 09:09 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

I understood your post....Saw the smiley....Just gave me the opportunity to rant a little. I got a call yesterday, from a Bondsman from another state asking me to assist him in what is soooo obviously underhanded if not down right illegal. I absolutely understand someone new to this business that might step over the line unintentionally but this guy has been in the business for a minute as you would say and still wants to cowboy up and wanted my help... I truly hope he tries what he says he intends to do.

Asheville NC 28804
828-777-8667
Lic # NC10013561
Lic # TN 2033018

Post Posted: Tue 05 Jul 2011 09:42 
Posting Newbie
Posting Newbie

FRN Agency ID #: 0
Experience: < 3 years
Actually, there are a few things your rather wrong on mate.

they have to report you first. and no criminal will report you.
LEO's cant arrest you for a badge. Nor will the arrest you for wearing something with fugitive recovery Agent.
IM 22 years old. and memorized the laws and practices of DOI in NC. ive made some of the biggest arrests in our area on wanted fugitives that have been running for many years. so please dont think because of my age, im nieve or foolish.

you need to build a report with local law enforcement, and treat them with respect and as friends. i do HEAVLY agree on dressing well and looking professional. because it keeps a certain level of respect. i have 1" gauges in my ears and i dress with a decent collared shirt and dress pants everyday. i admit ive done some unconventional things to get what i need, but ive always checked with DOI and LEO. the people you learn from best are generally the ones who are close with people at DOI.
i learned from very good long time agents.esp the instructor at NCBAA. he is 65, and very well polished. if you are part of NCBAA, help us change the laws and legislation. i am fighting very hard to make sureties and recovery agents look better and set a new standard. i want police and county to see a very professional bond agent. agreed many bond agents think its just a side job, and need to relearn the laws. but this is why we have Continuing ED. so they have to know.

we are still by federal laws enforcers of bail. we are given the same due process as law enforcement, and power to arrest/detain. we may enter anyones home. (3rd party permission in NC)

remind everyone you work with of taylor vs taintum and state vs mathis.

Chris
Time Served Bonding
336-416-5288

"we dont use doors, we use the walls OHH YEEAH!!"

Post Posted: Tue 05 Jul 2011 09:55 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 1999
Experience: 7 - 10 years
Taylor vs. Taintor, possibly?!?

Not being reported, filed, or caught is not the same as legal. Robbing a bank and not getting caught does not make armed robbery legal. Beating a spouse that is so afraid they do not report it does not mean that it is not against the law. There is no law requiring anyone in this business to have Integrity, but it is strongly advised. Bottom line: don't be a douche bag and remember that others are also effected by the decisions you make.... Oh, and read Rex's "BOUNTY HUNTER PARTNER CODE" and the basic's will be covered.

GAPB 20120726
NSIS ST0707
http://www.rocksolidrg.com
"The hero is not the man that acts without fear,
He is the man that acts inspite of fear"

Post Posted: Tue 05 Jul 2011 10:07 
Posting Newbie
Posting Newbie

FRN Agency ID #: 0
Experience: < 3 years
oh my bad. phone typo. >.< auto correct is bothersome

i absolutly agree with you. i quote those law case files as they are some of the very basic grounds we operate on to this day all over the country. we do need some professional headway made however. bondsman, in all states have bad seeds who dress and act very poorly. as officers of the courts in NC, we need to do better.

Post Posted: Tue 05 Jul 2011 12:04 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Chris,

I'll get to your statements later today but for now just a couple things....What is Taylor vs "Taintum" ? Did I understand that you think we can enter a third party residence without permission?

Asheville NC 28804
828-777-8667
Lic # NC10013561
Lic # TN 2033018

Post Posted: Tue 05 Jul 2011 12:12 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3904
Chris,

Maybe because you did not explain completely some of your statements, maybe I am not understanding exactly what some of your comments mean.

1) We are not given the "same" due process and authority of sworn law enforcement. They have much more latitude in making arrests or even detaining some one.

We can only detain our subject, not bystanders, family friends, etc. Of course there are situations where private citizens can make an arrest or even detain people but, lets stay within the context of locating and arresting bail skips.

2) Taylor v Taintor has been limited in some states. So, it is not carte blanche throughout the U.S.

3) Do not think for one moment that a bail skip will not accuse you of "breaking the law" to make the arrest. They have nothing to lose and would love to get the recovery agent in trouble if they can.

4) Finally, if you really want to make an impression of how professional you are, then start with your posts. Proper grammar, punctuation and spelling will help a lot to convey that image.

FRN Forums » PUBLIC SECTION » Open Discussion