Investigative work related to PI license • PUBLIC SECTION • Open Discussion • Fugitive Recovery Network (FRN) Forums
FRN Banner
wordpress-ad

Post subject: Investigative work related to PI license
 Post Posted: Sun 22 May 2011 11:39 

Would anyone be willing to make a short list of jobs that would qualify as "investigative" that would count towards a state's required 4000hrs of work experience for a PI license? I spoke with a rep at Ohio's licensing agency and the most he would tell was that "being a file clerk at a PI agency would not cut it." lol I have an idea of some positions that may qualify, just looking for additional input. Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: Investigative work related to PI license
 Post Posted: Sun 22 May 2011 13:34 
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 2797
Experience: 3 - 5 years
http://www.pisgs.ohio.gov/

307-763-3134

"As Professional Bail Enforcement Agents, we secure the Risk of the Surety by lawfully protecting the interest of not only the safety and security of our Clients and their Surety Agencies, but their Indemnitors and Defendants as well."

Post Posted: Sun 22 May 2011 15:40 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3828
Experience: More than 10 years
Here in Florida.. when I relocated here in 2000, I sent a copy of my Retired Police ID, Along with my NYPD Police Academy Transcript and Florida Police Academy Transcript and the State of Florida Sent me .. my Security "D" License.. Armed Security "G" License.. Concealed Weapons Permit (CCW) and Private Investigators License (C License).. of course I had to also send them my Finger Prints and Checks $$ for each of the License Fees for each said Licenses.. but that was all FL needed from me.. took me less than 2 months to get everything ..

NABBI Member

"Surprise Sex is the Best Thing to Wake up to, UNLESS, You are in Jail... "

Post Posted: Mon 23 May 2011 08:00 

Mr. Soule,

If you can show me the information I asked for in my post on that website I will donate $1000 to a charity of your choiced today. I'm very familar with the site and while it does define an "investigative" job it does not list any. The intent of my post was to see if there are any job titles that I haven't thought of that others may know. Thank you for the reply nonetheless.

Post Posted: Mon 23 May 2011 15:06 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

The only "Titles" or Jobs that would "Qualify" as time as an Investigator here in FL would be .. Police Officer ( You will need to show Academy Transcript), they might take Military Police into consideration also .. other then that you will probably have to be sponsored under a Fully Licensed PI to get your time in under your belt and start from the bottom up ..

NABBI Member

Post Posted: Mon 23 May 2011 15:35 

Jeff,

Luckily for me it's not that restricted here in Ohio. The Ohio Dept of Public Safety defines "investigative" as:

“Business of investigation” means, except when performed by one excluded under division (H) of this section, the conducting, for hire, in person or through a partner or employees, of any investigation relevant to any crime or wrong done or threatened, or to obtain information on the identity, habits, conduct, movements, whereabouts, affiliations, transactions, reputation, credibility, or character of any person, or to locate and recover lost or stolen property, or to determine the cause of or responsibility for any libel or slander, or any fire, accident, or damage to property, or to secure evidence for use in any legislative, administrative, or judicial investigation or proceeding."

I spoke with two different PIs today and they agreed that ideally I would work under a licensed PI but could also work as a skip tracer for a repo company, collection agency, attorney or a Bail bondsman. Thanks for the input!

Post Posted: Mon 23 May 2011 19:48 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Red_dobe wrote:
Jeff,

Luckily for me it's not that restricted here in Ohio. The Ohio Dept of Public Safety defines "investigative" as:

“Business of investigation” means, except when performed by one excluded under division (H) of this section, the conducting, for hire, in person or through a partner or employees, of any investigation relevant to any crime or wrong done or threatened, or to obtain information on the identity, habits, conduct, movements, whereabouts, affiliations, transactions, reputation, credibility, or character of any person, or to locate and recover lost or stolen property, or to determine the cause of or responsibility for any libel or slander, or any fire, accident, or damage to property, or to secure evidence for use in any legislative, administrative, or judicial investigation or proceeding."

I spoke with two different PIs today and they agreed that ideally I would work under a licensed PI but could also work as a skip tracer for a repo company, collection agency, attorney or a Bail bondsman. Thanks for the input!

Thanks for the education from the State of Ohio you are in .. but in all honesty I highly doubt that you will be able to obtain a "PERSONAL" account from Lexus Nexus giving them the above credentials.. ? Just my outlook.. not being a kill joy.. The company you work for might allow you to have "limited access" to the LEXUS NEXUS account.. but not full throttle... until you prove otherwise.. since you are new..

I cant tell you how many times new agents in the office want to run a Tag and it turns out to be just because the new Agent thought the female in the car next to him was attractive while he was driving in his car.. ...

NABBI Member

Post Posted: Tue 24 May 2011 08:37 
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 2567
Experience: 7 - 10 years
Sir,

Why not work under a licensed private investigator until you have your 4000 hours by which time you may have learned the business. While there's some similarities between fugitive recovery, law enforcement, and private investigations there are a lot of differences as well. I for one have never understood how someone with a law enforcement background is qualified to be a private investigator as the job is totally different from what they've been doing their entire career. While it is true that as a fugitive recovery agent you conduct skip tracing as well as interviews and even some surveillance that in no way is the same as conducting an interview for a legal proceeding, as far as the surveillance goes setting a car for 12 hours in 90° weather to get two minutes worth of video on a workers comp case is quite different than setting up the street in the driver seat waiting for someone to come home so that you can serve your Capias or Bail Piece depending on what your AO uses. With all that said this is just my opinion and not that of several states, my state being one where they will gladly accept law-enforcement credentials in order to license you as A PI. You may also want to look into process serving as it is closely related to fugitive recovery and opens the door for you with many PI agencies who will then train you and help you with your licensing. Hope this helps.

Jacksboro, Tn 37757
(865)223-2049
Tn P.I Lic # 6495 / 1609
T.C.A.40-11-301 Compliance Card
Member NAIS,NLLI,TPIA,USAPI,TACDL

Post Posted: Tue 24 May 2011 09:15 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 455
Well said Curtis, no free lunch or extravagances in this business.
In the absence of licensure, I would check to see if you can work on the staff of an attorney, as you will get schooled in the likes of Jenks and Brady!

Scott

"Leaders are like Eagles, you never see them in a flock, but one at a time"

Chesapeake Group Investigations, Inc.
Chesapeake Bail Bonds
877-574-0500
301-392-1100 (fax)
301-392-1900 (Office)

Post Posted: Tue 24 May 2011 11:22 

Curtis,

I couldn't agree more that working under a licensed PI would be ideal. I have spoken with several in my city just to pick their brains about where they see the field going and trends in the industry, most of them tell me they have really been suffering lately with the economy etc... I plan on doing face to face visits with some PIs to ask about an entry level position. Thanks!

FRN Forums » PUBLIC SECTION » Open Discussion