Citizens arrest • PUBLIC SECTION • Open Discussion • Fugitive Recovery Network (FRN) Forums
FRN Banner
wordpress-ad

Post subject: Citizens arrest
 Post Posted: Mon 06 Sep 2004 19:16 

Try not to laugh....

Does a bail agent, or any old regular citizen for that matter, have the right to arrest and surrender someone who has a warrant?

Example, I'm in the post office and see a wanted poster, walk across the street and there's the guy, answers to the right name, driving the listed car, etc.

I realize it's probaly a dumb question, but I've always been curios about that and thought folks in your line of work would know the answer.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon 06 Sep 2004 20:24 

You'll need to have a copy of the warrant in hand and the bondsman's written permission to enact an arrest. BEA/FRA's do not chase after random people that they find on Post Office wanted posters, rather, are contracted by bondsman to rearrest those who fail to appear.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon 06 Sep 2004 20:35 

Understood. I suppose I was inquiring more of the general public's authority with regard to warrants other than FTA bailees.

Just wanted to know if I saw Osama walking down main street whether to take him for a ride to the nearest jail, or call 911. :D

Like I said, just an odd curiosity.

Thanks.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon 06 Sep 2004 21:14 

Citizens arrest laws vary by state, but generally speaking, its only appropriate to do so if a felony is commited in your presence and only after identifying yourself as a private citizen.

My advice is to check with an attorney in your state (NOT being an attorney myself!) and to avoid making a citizens arrest unless the person is an immediate threat to public safety *and* "Real Cops" are not available.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon 06 Sep 2004 21:16 

On that second note, if Osama Bin Laden were walking down the street I would feel very reassured just taking him down myself, but thats the rare exception :twisted:

Post subject: Re: Citizens arrest
 Post Posted: Sun 08 Nov 2009 14:21 
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 0
Experience: < 1 year
In Washington You must witness then committing a felony before a citizen's arrest can be made. Then you may hold them for a "reasonable" amount of time until LEO arrive. I always worry when I see the word reasonable in a law.

Post Posted: Sun 08 Nov 2009 17:55 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 340
Experience: More than 10 years
Yeah . . . the "reasonable man" is always the one we must think of when we are affecting a re-arrest.
For it is the 'reasonable man" that will be sitting in that Jury Box should we screw up.
Hmmmmm . . . wonder what ever happened to 'burner" and 'deathnova"

Do not consider anything for your interest which makes you break your word, quit your modesty, or inclines you to any practice which will not bear the light, or look the world in the face .... Marcus Antonius

I AM Some Folks "KARMA" and A MODERATOR @ FRN

Post Posted: Sun 08 Nov 2009 18:16 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 0
Experience: 3 - 5 years
The State of North Carolina does not recognize a citizens arrest. In fact, you are more likely to be arrested for trying it than anyone you might bring in, due to the state's vigilante laws. :cry:

Post Posted: Sun 08 Nov 2009 20:17 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3904
Experience: More than 10 years
The only wanted posters I see in local post offices in my area, are those wanted for robbing that post office!

Are other locations still posting the FBI most wanted? They aren't doing that here in my area.

In CA, the citizens arrest thing is the same as Washington, if it is not a felony commited in front of you, keep you hands off.

Now, like on AMW, most agencies will pay a reward for "information" leading to the apprehension of a suspect. So you don't have to get physical. Be safe, leave it to the cops.

FRN Forums » PUBLIC SECTION » Open Discussion