Help please - TV Series / where to become a Bail Bond Agent! • PUBLIC SECTION • Open Discussion • Fugitive Recovery Network (FRN) Forums
FRN Banner
wordpress-ad

Post subject: Help please - TV Series / where to become a Bail Bond Agent!
 Post Posted: Mon 08 Mar 2010 05:34 

Hi all,

I'm researching for a UK documentary series where we get our presenter to become a Bail Bond Agent. Unlike Dog it aims to also be a vehicle for digging into the stories behind crime in the US. However we're trying to find a good State to base the filming. We were thinking about California but I understand that there's a 2 year residency requirement. I don't know if that still applies if working for an established Bail Bond Company but if it does, are there any other interesting States to film in where this would not be an issue.

Any help on this would be much appreciated.

Best,

Dickon

Post subject: Re: Help please - TV Series / where to become a Bail Bond Agent!
 Post Posted: Mon 08 Mar 2010 12:57 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3904
Experience: More than 10 years
The 2 year residency requirement in CA is still required to become a bail agent. If you want to be clerical help, no license is required.

However, bail in CA is down tremendously due to the enconomy. Very few people can afford to bail out. The courts are O.R.ing more defendants.

Post Posted: Tue 09 Mar 2010 07:44 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 1474
becoming a "Bail Bond Agent"??

... are you speaking of Bail Bondsman or Bail Enforcement Agent (aka 'bounty hunter')?... these are two entirely different positions and require different qualifications and also, laws and regulations differ greatly within each state as do licensing for same.

If you are interested in the "REAL" world of bonding, I would recommend contacting a legally licensed bondsman or Bail Enforcement Agent in a "REGULATED" state. There are a number of states that require very little, if any, licensing or regulatory requirements for these occupations and I would shy away from those states.

I am licensed as a bondsman in Virginia and as such I am legally able to pick up my own skips but I am not licensed as a BEA since I have no need for that qualification.

I would recommend your contacting a legally licensed bondsman to assist you in your endeavor... there are several on this site that are highly qualified. I am not one of them by virtue of my being older, more laid back and probably not as serious a member of our profession as you might require.

I can recommend several but I hesitate to do so without their expressed approval. They will no doubt be reading this thread and may in fact respond to your inquiry.

I will offer this............... Tennessee, Maryland, Florida, Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey, Colorado and Arkansas... I know several in each of these states that would very nicely fit your requirements. I would recommend that you do a lot of research before committing to any one of them... there are unfortunately a lot of "fly by nites" in this business... and do not be fooled by the TV personalities that operate already in our industry.

Bail and bail enforcement in the US is under a lot of pressure as we speak... beware of the political fights that are ongoing in many states.

Good luck.

DCJS: 99-176979
Cell: 434-294-0222

"Endeavor to Persevere" "Lone Watie"

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that , comes from bad judgment" "Will Rogers"

Post Posted: Tue 09 Mar 2010 08:45 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 1474
I would offer the following:

Qualifying your man as legal, licensed and operating in our profession is not an easy task... it takes time, money much study and I would recommend teaming with an established agent as follows.... pick his/her brain and move accordingly...

Look for a bondsman that is well established, with a physical office/store front complete with signs, advertising, maybe a secretary or other persons in the business.... several agents or BEA associates... of course you want someone that is "TV presentable", articulate, street savvy, a fair amount of time in the business... I would say at least 10 years or more... someone that is known and respected by the rank and file of the trade. A bondsman that is physical and has cases that are easily followed by a camera crew... I think a happy medium between "cowboy" and "professionalism"... it of course would have to be exciting to hold the audience, sponsors and ... maintain interest if you are talking about a series... of course if it is a one shot deal you may not want to worry as much about long term stuff... but of course no matter what you come up with it certainly has to be "marketable"... I guess you would know more about that than I .... I only offered this from my side...

I would think that on your side of the "pond"; laws, regulations and qualifications if any would be quite different than here in the good ole USA.

again, good luck.

DCJS: 99-176979
Cell: 434-294-0222

"Endeavor to Persevere" "Lone Watie"

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that , comes from bad judgment" "Will Rogers"

FRN Forums » PUBLIC SECTION » Open Discussion