Fiction Writer looking for mentor • PUBLIC SECTION • Open Discussion • Fugitive Recovery Network (FRN) Forums
FRN Banner
wordpress-ad

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post subject: Re: Fiction Writer looking for mentor
 Post Posted: Mon 03 Nov 2008 14:41 
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 0
Experience: None
Quote:
Just Curious,

Why a bounty hunter as main character?

I think I mentioned that at the outset. I'm a writer whose characters speak to me. This one happens to be a FRA and I find him interesting. No, I'm not crazy, many writers are well known to have characters that come upon them unawares and demand a story to be written. It's easy to write what you know. <shrug> I want to write what he knows (or should know).

Quote:
It seems that you have no experience or basic knowledge of the business.

Nope. I think I warned everyone of that too. :shock:

I must say though I did realize in my previous reply that I was wrong about a lot of things... but I got it explained to me in more detail.

Quote:
And that is not necessarily a bad thing, if your character, his interactions, etc are the focus of the story. His "occupation" may not be that important other than to set up some of your scenarios.

Yes, that's mostly it, BUT his job and why he does what he does is very important to the story and his character. And, if I am to write his voice, I need to know how he talks and how he thinks - all shaped by what he does for a living.

Quote:
However, if someone skipping bail and the chase, such as in Midnight Run, is the setup for your book then you have a lot of learning to do.

Nope, it's not about the chase. It's romantic suspense with a paranormal twist. Ya know, I bet lots of women find what you all do for a living... exciting. :D

Quote:
Does it have to be 100% techincally true? No it dosn't. But it would help to make it more believable?

But then its fiction.

And I'm a nurse by profession, so does that mean I should not expect a medical thriller to have the names of the diseases and their effects correctly? Or if I watch House, should they not make sure that the things that happen to their patients be medically possible? I'm not being a smarta**, I'm just saying there's a difference between fiction and quality fiction.

If I write something that might be read by people on this list do I want them to go, "Oh h*ll no, he would never do/say that." And then, even if it IS fiction - to people in your profession, it's just become drivel.

Last edited by AllynDaniels on Mon 03 Nov 2008 17:31, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Mon 03 Nov 2008 14:50 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 1988
Experience: More than 10 years
Good luck with your book, I hope that you are able to glean the information that you need here. :)

Tel: 1-800-387-0787

Anti-Moral Majority Club President
"Fear not the unknown, Fear the person who controls the unknown" Gene 7:14

Post Posted: Mon 03 Nov 2008 15:29 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 324
Experience: 5 - 7 years
Allyn, you can learn a lot about us and the subject by reading posts. For example, if you want to know whether your person should be armed, do a search for weapons. You can also do a search for clothing, attire, badges, and numerous other subjects to get a wide variety of responses from people in the know. We discuss these things along with the various laws and requirements for our individual states. This will be of tremendous assistance by getting many viewpoints and methods. Hopefully you can use the information to assist your character to evolve in a realistic manner.

Sales Associate, Prepaid Legal Services, Inc.
Walsenburg, CO

Proud Member of the AB Reject Club

Post Posted: Mon 03 Nov 2008 16:06 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 1366
Experience: 7 - 10 years
I volunteer to play Stephanie Plum!!!

In all seriousness...we all know what we're doing in our own areas, and don't forget..each state is different..we all have different laws that we have to follow....

" Yeah, I see ya, you ding dong..."

Post Posted: Mon 03 Nov 2008 17:27 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3904
I am trying to understand the creative process. So I hope you don't take my questions the wrong way.

I asked why a bounty hunter as the character, you stated that you are a writer that characters speak to you. They just come to you.

What is that like?

Are you driving to work one day and BAM, the idea smacks you in the face. I am curious how this happens.

If it is the character and not the action or plot, then why not a mechanic, bus driver or salesman?

I know that would require different senarios but, if it is the character that pops up, is there anything that would trigger a particular profession? A recent movie your saw or a news article?

You stated that this will be your first book. Have you written any other stories, fiction or otherwise?

What is your writing process like. Do you lock yourself in a room? Write on you lunch break?

Again just trying to understand the process.

Post Posted: Mon 03 Nov 2008 18:40 
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 0
Experience: None
Quote:
I am trying to understand the creative process. So I hope you don't take my questions the wrong way.

No, that's totally cool and turn about is fair play. :D

Quote:
I asked why a bounty hunter as the character, you stated that you are a writer that characters speak to you. They just come to you.

What is that like?

Are you driving to work one day and BAM, the idea smacks you in the face. I am curious how this happens.

Kind of? I used to dabble in other peoples sandboxes... I would fall in love with a character someone else created and want to know more than what the original author gave me, so I would wonder... what would Wolverine do if ??? And then I'd make up a scene in my head, then I got to writing it down and found out other people did the same thing... I did this for years with different characters I liked. I realized along the way I was getting pretty good at the writing thing, but I knew, that if I was ever going to do it for real, I would have to create a character that I could fall in love with - and I don't mean just his physical attributes. And I started thinking about that and since I'm a visual person, visualizing him. If he could be anything I wanted in the realm of fantasy what would he be. I had some stipulations about physical appearance and when I started building him in my head I saw him wearing black and with a gun and a bullet proof vest. He had long hair, so he wasn't a cop... but he's a good guy, so someone the cops would respect. So, I thought FRA. Music also plays a huge part in building the character of this guy inside... I play music that tells me who he is...it is like a soundtrack to a movie in my head... and things develop from there. He's hard on the outside because of crap he's been through, but the hard outside is just because he doesn't want to get hurt. So, I start developing his attitude. And somewhere along the way the first scene starts unfolding in my head. If I'm lucky, I'm somewhere (NOT in the car! LOL) where I can write it down. In my first scene he's trying to coax a bail jumper out of a house with his team stationed around it. They are pretty sure the guy is in there, but when the house blows up...

Quote:
If it is the character and not the action or plot, then why not a mechanic, bus driver or salesman?

Let's face it, mechanics, bus drivers and salesmen are NOT very romantic. Unless the salesman is leading a double life as a spy or some other twist. I write romance and suspense. Women want heroes. They want a man that can rescue them if they need rescuing. You'll probably kill me for saying this - and don't get me wrong, I'm learning how hard you all work - but bounty hunters are percieved as dangerous, yet they are still the good guy - the bad boy with a heart of gold...(sorry ladies!)

Quote:
I know that would require different senarios but, if it is the character that pops up, is there anything that would trigger a particular profession? A recent movie your saw or a news article?

Hummm.. good question. I've written doctors, vampires, rockstars, vampire-rockstars...I like immortals. I've also written human intrest pieces that could go in Readers Digest or Good Housekeeping... LOL. This guy needed a profession he could do nearly anywhere, when I saw him and asked myself who he was FRA seemed to keep making sense. His background made it impossible for him to be a cop, his girlfriend came along as the daughter of an ex-cop whose partner doesn't like FRA's, so sort of like a puzzle with the pieces fitting in place. Trust me, I knew/know how much I don't know about this industry. Heck, I dont' even know much about guns, so I am industry challenged and weapons challenged. But I know I'm smart and I know I can learn, and I think, as a woman that reads romance novels and likes a lot of plot to her romance, I can write better than most romance novelists out there. For instance, I read Twilight, which is obviously completely fictional (yet the town the author based the story in is real, and she'd never been there! They are enjoying quite the economic upswing because of her!) BUT, I found myself very frustrated reading her book because she gave NO logical reason for a supposedly 90 something year old vampire to be wholly obsessed by and attracted to a so-so looking 19 year old girl. Now, I do like the vampire character, Edward, but she gave him no back bone and no logical motivation, so fiction or not, it's boring.

There is something called 'suspension of disbelief'. That means as an author I need to write a tale so compelling and realistic, that you forget that it's not possible. I need to write my guy so well that the fact that he's an alien from another world inhabiting a human form seems not only possible, but probable. (Okay, he's not an alien, but see what I mean?) And you not only like him in spite of it, but because of it.

Quote:
You stated that this will be your first book. Have you written any other stories, fiction or otherwise?

Yep. Lots.(But not in X-Men, even if Wolverine is sort of sexy :lol: ) But I have never tried to sell anything. Deadly License will hopefully end up in print, but if I can't sell it in print, I'll try eBook. However, I like my guy well enough that I'm not going to sell him short without a fight.

Quote:
What is your writing process like. Do you lock yourself in a room? Write on you lunch break?

Sometimes yes to both. I don't like to be interrupted once I get going, so I usually don't start something if I know I can't continue. Sometimes I write six lines, go put a load of laundry in and walk around picking up, thinking about what I'm writing or seeing it in a video in my head, then I have to figure out how to put in on paper so I can show the reader what I want them to see. Other times, I just start and let it flow until I don't have anything else to say. I'm pretty meticulous, so often I'll let that sit for a day or two, then go back over it, editing and then continuing.

I try to set a goal of x amount of words per day. And I have a complete goal of 80,000 words for this book. I need a least that, more is okay, over 120,000 is another book. I'm actually hoping that readers will like my guy enough to want another book or two.

A lot of times I find myself writing people you typically think of as good, being bad or vice versa. Or like the cop at the end of the movie that's pointing his gun at the guy that shot and killed his partner, will he shoot him or will he stand down? Suspense.

When you go after that fugitive you never know what's going to happen. You study your file, think you can guess how its going to go down, but in the end....

that's the epitome of suspense, isn't it?

Post Posted: Mon 03 Nov 2008 19:11 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 5
So now we have "The Highlander" meeting Anne Rice's Vampire LeStat ?...:) Or what is the movie starring Kris Kristofferson and either Wesley Snipes or Mario Van Peebles who plays the role of a half vampire who fights for justice ? I don't know...intriguing to say the least.

Although, admittedly I am not a fan of horror flicks, demons, witches, vampires, etc. etc. but best of luck with this story.

Post Posted: Mon 03 Nov 2008 19:24 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 1474
RWB wrote:
Tom Clancy's earlier works...Red Storm Rising, Clear and Present Danger, Hunt for Red October...etc all fictional works, but incorporating realistic causes and effects action.Another Example is WEB Griffin's Bade of Honour series set in the 1980's featuring a fictional detective but correct factual places, agencies, departmental organizations, etc.

Ruffin......... two of my favorite authors..... I have read every book Clancy has written with the exception of the military info manual types... all of his fiction stuff and as for WEB Griffin...... I have absolutely read everything he has put out.... especially the Marines series... an unbelievable author that amazes me with his historical accuracy...

I have to say that I don't recall reading a "Bounty Hunter" or "Bondsman" book that impressed me.... but then I am a hard sell.

Your info to this author is very good.

DCJS: 99-176979
Cell: 434-294-0222

"Endeavor to Persevere" "Lone Watie"

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that , comes from bad judgment" "Will Rogers"

Post Posted: Mon 03 Nov 2008 19:46 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 340
WOW, this topic evolved quite quickly over a day . . .

Weasel ~ I am with you.

Do not consider anything for your interest which makes you break your word, quit your modesty, or inclines you to any practice which will not bear the light, or look the world in the face .... Marcus Antonius

I AM Some Folks "KARMA" and A MODERATOR @ FRN

Post Posted: Mon 03 Nov 2008 21:00 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 5
Bill,

I like Clancy's early stuff...I dont care for his new stuff or his co-author.

WEB Griffin, I like his Badge of honour series, his WW2 secret agent series, and his current series about CIA ops. I have not read any of his other works...since I wasn't a Marine, I can't relate to that series.

All through jr high school and high school I used to read the "Bantam War Book" Series..a collection of WW2 novels by different author's assembled by this 1 printing company...I had literally dozens of those books covering all aspects of the war, all branches, all theatres. It was truly a great collection. I wish I still had it but I don't. I had them stored in a trunk at a farm, and while gone for an extended period the trunk was given away to a stranger without being checked for anything..so I lost alot of sentimental stuff.

Anyway, I enjoy reading. I just wish WEB would crank out the series I like faster than he does...:)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

FRN Forums » PUBLIC SECTION » Open Discussion