Hung up on CCW • PUBLIC SECTION • Open Discussion • Fugitive Recovery Network (FRN) Forums
FRN Banner
wordpress-ad

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post subject: Re: Hung up on CCW
 Post Posted: Sun 24 Feb 2013 08:15 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 1474
Experience: More than 10 years
Very good info.... Ken, I want to respond to that post but I am slammed right now... will get to it later...

DCJS: 99-176979
Cell: 434-294-0222

"Endeavor to Persevere" "Lone Watie"

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that , comes from bad judgment" "Will Rogers"

Post Posted: Sun 24 Feb 2013 18:26 
in memoriam

Reinere wrote:
The difference between that scenario and a personal protection scenario is that a combat scenario is proactive, a self defense scenario is reactive. I know by experience that in a reactive situation, shot placement is the least of your worries."

Respectfully, here is why I disagree. I am also former military... although a very long time ago... I served in the USMC in the early 60's... even back then we knew the difference you are alluding to .... proactive and reactive yes.... but Ken... the adversaries that we as civilians are dealing with... and this is a very broad statement.... are for the most part... not combat individuals... they are for the most part, street thugs, criminals who certainly are evil and are looking to do you harm but I would venture to say most are not and have not been trained to any degree to do what they are intending upon... most are scared, although they may not look it... most are ill equipped... and most have not trained with the weapon they are carrying... I am not talking about career criminals who plan elaborate robberies... I am talking about the usual, run of the mill thug that would break in your house or attempt to rob you on the street or rape or harm someone in a spur of the moment type crime....

Those scenarios and those perpetrators .... IMHO.... probably constitute 95% of the crimes that we.... as civilians... would encounter... as an afterthought... I might mention that even the ones that were involved in these mass shootings... with all their firepower and equipment... they still were not trained to a level that we could not stop if we are trained and have the confidence in our weapons as I am pointing out....

... and to that end.... to those scenarios... to those criminals.... I say and stick by my original post... if you train with your weapon, on a regular basis... become used to it... how it feels when you fire.... how to control the aim and how to "hit your target"... how to try (hard to do but everyone can work on it) and control your emotions and reactions during the adrenaline rush.... if you can work toward those levels, you will have the leg up on those that would do you harm... and as the end result of all that.... I still say... "shot placement is more important than caliber"

If we, as civilians, were up against trained combat individuals... then doing what we used to do... that is... "putting a lot of lead on the target".... would certainly be advisable.... and superior firepower would be foremost... certainly we have to react quickly, but if we are trained, we can have the upper hand. That is all I am saying....

Quote:
Center mass is always a sure thing in a reactive scenario, I carried a 9mm para in the army. I know FOR A FACT that a full jacket 9mm round takes at least 4-5 rounds center mass to stop someone. Needless to say, I talked with my CO about decommisioning our berreta 92fs 9mm stock for a 1911 .45 surplus.

No question that a .45 is superior to the 9mm in stopping power.... and the FMJ is designed to penetrate and is far less effective than the modern defensive rounds that are now available in any gun shop (at least up until recently)... a modern, hollow point, jacketed bullet in a +P configuration is far more effective than the old FMJ that you and I fired in our military weapons.... that is again... my opinion... I would also offer that the adversary you were attempting to stop was hyped up on adrenalin and very likely trained to a much higher degree than the thugs I described previously.... that is of course why the military double action revolvers in .38 Long Colt.. were replaced by the .45 during the Moro Rebellion of the Philippine–American War.

Quote:
The reason I feel more comfortable with a .40 is that it is a compromise between the .45 and 9mm. While still compact, and easy to conceal.

I am of the opinion that the .40 is one of the greatest developments of the modern firearm.... having owned a Delta Elite 10mm... which I held onto for several years, just because it was a collectable... and then traded it for another nice 1911 .45... the 10 was and I believe is... just too damn much... I believe the .40 (which is as mentioned a short 10mm) is an excellent caliber and I have at least 4 or 5... but alas... I still carry my little LC9 Ruger cause it just fits so good.... 8)

I think we are preaching to each others choir... 8)

also... thank you for your service...

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that , comes from bad judgment" "Will Rogers"

Post Posted: Wed 27 Feb 2013 00:40 
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 0
I've seen a couple of responses that make me raise a brow. I carry, and have for 22 years.it wasn't until my 20th year that I had to resort to my sidearm after taking multiple shots from my defendant.
1) if you're gonna carry, PRACTICE! (if ccw, practice from a ccw carry position)
2) NEVER, EVER shoot to kill as indicated above. Only shoot to stop the threat. Anything more is murder.
3) full frame 9mm is very concealable. Look at crossbreed holsters. You will love it.
4) someone said "I keep it close". I guess he will have time to run back to his car, grab it and use it. Hmmmm. I don't think so. Your gun in the car during a gun fight is as good as your seatbelt out the door during a car accident. Keep it on you.
Be safe!

Post Posted: Wed 27 Feb 2013 17:57 
in memoriam

Quote:
2) NEVER, EVER shoot to kill as indicated above. Only shoot to stop the threat. Anything more is murder.

Quote:
Anything more is murder
I have to say... that is BS....

Kill is stop.... dead is dead... if your shooting to stop or kill or whatever you want to define it as... it is not murder...

I have never met anyone that can tell me how you shoot to stop rather than shoot to kill.... how do you change your application.... your mincing words... I can tell you if I have to pull on anyone, I am shooting to stop the threat... and if that means kill... so be it... semantics aside.

As an old Marine, I can tell you that stopping and killing are words that mean basically the same.... and that applies to civilians and/or military. You use stop... it's ok by me.

The only thing that applies to what you are saying is when the investigation is taking place... during that ... I would certainly say "I was in fear for my life and I shot to stop."

This discussion reminds me of deer hunting... Some say they "kill" the deer... some say they "harvest" the deer.... that is a pretty close example of what is going on here..... end result, the same.

Post Posted: Wed 27 Feb 2013 18:10 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 455
The confusion is in terminology, if you are threatened and use deadly force to stop the threat, that is homicide, not murder. Then, depending on the facts as determined by investigation, the homicide can be further qualified as justifiable, vehicular, 2nd Degree Homicide (no premeditation), 1st Degree (With premeditation) etc. Homicide is the killing of one human being by another, and is not necessarily a crime. Murder is a crime.

Scott

"Leaders are like Eagles, you never see them in a flock, but one at a time"

Chesapeake Group Investigations, Inc.
Chesapeake Bail Bonds
877-574-0500
301-392-1100 (fax)
301-392-1900 (Office)

Post Posted: Wed 27 Feb 2013 18:46 
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

The reason I haven't joined this forum a long time ago, or others like it is due to the amount of ignorance associated with it. Call it crap, bs, a lie, whatever you want. And for that matter, go ahead and shoot to kill. But me and my 22 years of bail recovery work, 19 years as a defense attorney investigator and my 160... Yes 160 firearms courses and 12 ccw classes will NEVER shoot to kill. As for it being homicide or not. By definition, any death is a homicide. The difference is weather it is done with mallice or not. If you have it pre determined in your mind that you're going to shoot to "kill", then you are doing it with forethought and malice. ANYONE who has ever taken ANY firearms course will tell you this. If not, then they need a new instructor or need to pay attention in class. Google it "shoot to kill or stop the threat". You may be enlightened.

Post Posted: Wed 27 Feb 2013 18:50 
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

To SCOTT: you are correct in your assessment. I wasn't driving that last comment your direction, but read yours after the previous one and thought I would make it clear.

Post Posted: Thu 28 Feb 2013 06:33 
in memoriam

I said what I believe, feel I clarified my points and still stick by it... I have also had a bit of training and time in grade but I have found in my short tenure in this business that just because someone has 25 years doing something, regardless of their history, background and qualifications... they often still do not see the forest for the trees... and BS is still BS, yours or mine makes no difference... it all smells the same.

I think you may want to change the "D" to an "R". :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Thu 28 Feb 2013 17:09 
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Unfortunately, what you believe, I know can land you in hot water. Call any NRA instructor, sheriff, police chief. I don't want anyone to just "take my word for it". Research it.
Happy hunting

Post Posted: Thu 28 Feb 2013 17:38 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3902
Bill M, sometimes it's best just to let it go. I've been carrying since 17 years old and now I'm 57. I squeezed the trigger on several back in my military days. The number of years somebody has done something doesn't impress me much. Could be doing it for years....all Wrong!

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

Asheville NC 28804
828-777-8667
Lic # NC10013561
Lic # TN 2033018

Never be haughty to the humble
or humble to the haughty - Jefferson Davis

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

FRN Forums » PUBLIC SECTION » Open Discussion