Taser broke on me in less than a week • PUBLIC SECTION • Open Discussion • Fugitive Recovery Network (FRN) Forums
FRN Banner
wordpress-ad

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri 28 Jul 2006 15:21 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

There all kinds of Pro's and Con's on everything we use as a tool in our business. I will tell you a little bit of my experience with the Taser versus a Gun.

Every single time I pointed my Taser at an individual and they saw the laser sight they gave up without discharging the weapon. I have had them running down the street (pointed Taser out drivers window), hanging out of the attic swinging a machete (cranked up on meth), bowed up in the house ready to fight etc and every single time the Taser was a deterrent from any further action.

When pointing a gun at someone they tend to look at you like go ahead and shoot or take off running. This leaves you in a precarious position of whether or not you are going to shoot them in the front or the back and you have no other form of backing down other than letting them know they called your bluff they, know you will not shoot unless it is life or death. However every time they saw my Taser with the Laser sight on them they knew it was less than lethal and hurt like hell and de-escalated to date all confrontations.

Yes I know the Pro's and Con's, I thought I would throw in my 2 cents worth from my personal experience.

Post subject: Geez What do you say?
 Post Posted: Sat 29 Jul 2006 21:27 
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 0
Experience: 3 - 5 years
Bob (Hound Dog) You have hit the Nail on the head. I appreciate the experiences and the statements that others have stated here. Deal with facts if you want the OK Corral and have a shoot out and dont give yourself options with in a force continum profile. You will Be a Cowboy and a Rambo in my book and many others. Options being the best policy always offer alternatives before you go to the final end lethal force. I was Management of a Large police force at the rank of Inspector. I have always been out on the streets toe to toe with the bad guys when my Officers uniformed and plain clothes members always used reasonable and justifable force necessary.

I have seen thru 17 years SWAT / TRG/SPG (Tactical Response Group / Special Protection Group), Dog Squad Master Trainer, Taser Master Trainer, ILEETA (International Law Enforcement Educators and Trainers Association is an organization by, for and about Instructors and training for the criminal justice professions) Member USA and International members Training cops, .As an organization, ILEETA is committed to the reduction of law enforcement risk through the enhancement of training for criminal justice practitioners.

As ILEETA member, we are fully committed to the saving of lives through the development and delivery of high quality training.

As training and education professionals, we are committed to the safety and security of our fellow citizens, and the furtherance of understanding between society and the criminal justice professions.

I have heard just some of the perception amongst police departments and instructors I mix with across the USA and there negative attitude when dealing with some Bail Bonds men and women and the Rough redneck Bounty Hunters that just want to be the next dog or thug of this world to make a name for themselves. Think before you act and keep this statement in your mind (committed to the safety and security of our fellow citizens, and the furtherance of understanding between society and the criminal justice professions). If you cannot your in the dark ages and the wrong industry.

Regards and stay Safe

Jamie Laird
FRTF Colorado

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri 04 Aug 2006 16:55 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Very nicely written Jamie, Not much to add to that post it was well said.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat 05 Aug 2006 11:09 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 340
Experience: More than 10 years
Touche~ Jamie

Do not consider anything for your interest which makes you break your word, quit your modesty, or inclines you to any practice which will not bear the light, or look the world in the face .... Marcus Antonius

I AM Some Folks "KARMA" and A MODERATOR @ FRN

Post subject: Well I call as I see it
 Post Posted: Sat 05 Aug 2006 20:47 
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Well Luvonda I call it as I see it. Too many little boys with toys and not enough experience using them and not having the training to carry them appropriately. Sorry havent got the patience any more been dealing with too many wannabee's.
Theres a element out there that Are the time wasters that really dont want quality experience to do the job right at the start and they want to pay peanuts and they get MONKEYS to do it. When they get some boy or girl out there that are rookies or Green as grass do it as they say for a set fee which is minor compared to the equipment and the out lay and experience cannot replace for good old fashioned experience that the real serious Fugitive investigators out here have and know. Have all the bells and whistle dont make you good at your job.

I have just spoken the words and if they offend then your to sensitive and to warm and cuddly for this industry and you wont survive. Its Doggie and Dog out here. (O God I said that word that must not be said it Do Do by name Do Do by Nature) I am running into too many with the $85.00 9mm Auto'S that blow up in your face. Sports Five store bargain basement throw aways and wearing cheap real cheap $20.00 Bullet Proof Vests that Walmart tossed out on the market and some bright spark thought they had a bargain and they have just run up a tab as a fact that their life is worth $105.00 been the costs they have out laid then you take into perspective they are even licenced by whatever there state requires or they have completed the manadatory course that state requires. They feel with all there might they are Gods gift to the bad guys bringing back the wrong Doer back to justice. This is not MidNight Run with Robert De Niro and we dont make Millions per year. We Make a living what we do best and just scrap in a living and it costs more then what we make to do it right.

Regards to the real True by Nature BH or Fugitive Investigators out there.

Jamie Laird
FRTF Colorado

Last edited by wolf93usa on Sat 05 Aug 2006 22:27, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat 05 Aug 2006 21:32 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 2
Experience: 7 - 10 years
Does anyone know if its possible to be certified to carry a taser without being shocked by the taser??

-X-
St. Louis, MO
FRN#2
Member of The C.B.C

Post subject: Those that live by the sword die by the sword
 Post Posted: Sat 05 Aug 2006 22:26 
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Recoveryguy wouldnt it increase your judgement of using a Taser to understand how it feels to be on the other end. I am not saying if we carry guns we go out and shoot ourselves. No that would be stupid and brainless. But you have to know how to use them thru practice and proficiency. Taser are knowing and be able to feel what cause is justified in using that device effectively. Its directly up to Taser students if they want to get tasered, Give it a go so you can can feel for the unlucky soul that fails to comply with a verbal challenge and acts in a threatening and challenging degree of being combatant to the officer or investigator on a issuance of a warrant. Most just see the targetting of the Laser and if they have been on the other end of a Taser they will comply faster then saying BoB's your uncle and they will hit the ground without a taser cartridge being fired. Its the fools that ignores your warning, Thats why they call it the Equalizer it changes the offender attitude when they fail the ATTITUDE test.

Regards,
Jamie Laird
FRTFcolorado

Post subject: taser
 Post Posted: Sun 06 Aug 2006 08:01 
in memoriam

Tim u do not have to hit with the taser as part of the certification -- i do recommend that you do get hit--but it is not needed--as far as taser replacing a handgun not in a million years--tasers sometimes have little or no effect and have limited range and limited amounts of ammo--taser a another part of our less lethal inventory great--personally i would use taser before oc--oc decontamination time is a factor so is possibilty of spraying one of your team mate--also transport is not easy with a bad guy full of oc

FRN Forums » PUBLIC SECTION » Open Discussion