True or Bull? • PUBLIC SECTION • Open Discussion • Fugitive Recovery Network (FRN) Forums
FRN Banner
wordpress-ad

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue 24 Jan 2006 22:44 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 324
Experience: 5 - 7 years
Colorado has no licensing for PI's. All you have to do is say you are one and you are.

As to incorporating, you can go to the secretary of state website and file your corp or LLC online. Depending on the day, the e-file fees are 0.99 to $75. I say this tongue in cheek, because they change them back and forth periodically. Filing by paper is higher, about $125. Does this secretary also act as the service agent in Colorado? Whether you are a domestic (in-state) or foreign (out of state) corp, you still have to have an agent with a physical address for process service in the state. As a corporation, you also have to file a state income tax return every year whether you have income in the state or not. That means every state that you are registered to do business in or do business in.

An individual has the same business write-offs as a corporation. I'm not sure what you meant about not paying social security tax for many out of pocket items. Social security tax is your employment tax. If you are self employed then you pay your own social security and medicare on your "net" self employment income. If you are paid by the corporation, the corporation is responsible for withholding this as well as income tax from your's and any employees paychecks. The corporation is then required to file payroll tax reports and deposit the amounts along with its portion of the social security and medicare tax to the IRS and state(s). Along with this comes unemployment tax for any employees. You have to file your personal tax return based on your W-2 income from the corporation. If the corporation has profit for the year, the corporation pays tax at the corporate rate. If you are then paid out of those profits the following year, you will still have to pay income tax on your income. Thus the double taxation that so many complain of.

So, before you jump right in, make sure that the cost-benefit is worth it and won't cost you more in paperwork, stress and money than it's worth.

I checked out the IPIU site many months ago. I didn't really see anything bad about it, just more that a person had to spend hours and hours learning how to post in the forums, using all the little emoticons, using quotes, and generally having to post thousands of posts to creep up the levels. It just wasn't worth my time when I can go elsewhere for the help and information that I need.

And yes, I am in Colorado and also a Certified Public Accountant, so I deal with this stuff daily. JMHO even so.

Sales Associate, Prepaid Legal Services, Inc.
Walsenburg, CO

Proud Member of the AB Reject Club

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed 25 Jan 2006 15:14 
in memoriam

I find it amazing Colorado has no licensing law for PI's. In vermont, to become a lawyer all you have to do is work for an attorney for six years then pass the Bar Exam. No schooling required.

“What is sought is found... what is overlooked escapes” (Oedipus Rex)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed 25 Jan 2006 18:40 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 5
Experience: More than 10 years
We have no regulations/requirements for pi's either, or BEA's.....not yet anyway.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue 31 Jan 2006 22:02 
in memoriam

We have course requirements for BEA's, but no licensing for them and nothing is required for PI's. Anyone can work here as a PI.

Agent8, As to whether you should incorporate in CO or anywhere else goes back to the cost benefit analysis. Are you wanting to incorporate because of liability issues? Or just because you think it's a tax write off? If you are doing it to be able to chase skips from your state to here, it is not necessary. If you want to chase skips as a CO BEA, you will have to take the 16 hour POST certified course and submit your prints for the background check. It is done on an individual level, not as a corporation. If you are doing it to have an office here, just rent it under your company name as it exists now. You should register the trade name with the Dept of Revenue, though. That prevents another company from using it. It is $10 and renews annually.

I don't know what other states charge to register a foreign corporation so you will have to check with your Dept of Revenue or Secretary of State office. If you are just looking to form a corp, also check into Delaware. Many corporations form there because of the ease and low charge. They charge an annual fee based on your sales in or out of state. Several states do this whether the corp is domestic or foreign, so check the annual fees out before you incorporate.

Maybe I'm dense, but I'm not seeing any valid reason why you want to do this. Most of what you have given can be done without a corporation in Colorado. If you need a corp to operate in your state, go for it. Otherwise I consider it a waste of time and money.

Walsenburg, CO

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu 13 Jul 2006 12:45 

Agent8,

I suggest you investigate the thousands of book titles and Internet Web Pages, authored by tax attorneys and CPA's (who ONLY specialize in corporate tax rules and liability law) that carefully detail the why's and how's that IPIU summarized for you in avoiding paying taxes as a corporation versus just being a sole owner. You do not need anyone on the Internet giving you limited advice when you can probably find a professional who specializes in the answers - right in your home town. If not, most of them are a phone call away.

For the record, I purchased the Colorado PI Office item in Denver through IPIU and use the team there exclusively. Top notch service. I am also waiting for them to announce the availability for a second PI Office soon in another state so that I can branch out.

IPIU also added something else since you asked this question a few months ago. I had them incorporate my business, do all of the filing of state documents, provide me with custom stock certificates, corporate seal, Bylaws, Minutes, and a Resident Agent - to be included with my annual rent for the PI Office, all for an average of about $15 a month! And because I am one of their charter customers, additional offices nationwide with either be free or at a nickel and dime rate for me.

You also get a private password access to their new Corporation Forum for guidance, tips, and advice on how to run your new corporation and exactly what items and expenses can be run through your corporation to avoid ALL FICA taxes and federal and state income taxes that a sole owner run-business CANNOT avoid. That alone was worth a thousand dollars for me. But don not take my word here. Investigate it yourself.

As for your comment about sending in a fingerprint card to IPIU, have you read their Privacy Statement? Since they were founded seventeen years ago in 1989, they have NEVER had a single loss or complaint about anyone's record. Still, since 911 and the new Homeland Security Guideline, IPIU started last year offering a waiver of the fingerprint card you have with a new Personal Identification Card that only needs a notary. You should have gotten card.

I read your comments about the Better Business Bureau and laughed at the link to that other wacko site for Rip Off reports. The Rip Off owner is under federal indictment for Rico Charges!

The best way to judge IPIU is by their TOTAL reputation and how they treat YOU. Look at their Testimonial Forum which is all UNSOLICITED posts by "real people using real names with real locations."

I also David Martz's negative view of IPIU and had a BIG chuckle, because I see that he has been a MEMBER of the IPIU site for sometime! And ALL those members are required when they apply for their password to AGREE to their personal Oath, Code of Ethics, IPIU Mission Statement, and Forum Rules! So if the straight shooter is blazing from his hip, I'm glad he ain't pointing it in the two directions his mouth is going. ;) (Sorry, David, but you need to choose a side and STICK with it through thick and thin).

And I read Kathy's advice, but I know a LOT of qualified professional CPA's just do not live and breath corporation tax law and schedules. MOST are helping the majority of business owners who do NOT have corporations. (Kathy, I saw you too are a member of the IPIU site!)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu 13 Jul 2006 18:03 
in memoriam

Mr. Williams,

I am repeating part of my post from January 2006.

"I checked out the IPIU site many months ago. I didn't really see anything bad about it, just more that a person had to spend hours and hours learning how to post in the forums, using all the little emoticons, using quotes, and generally having to post thousands of posts to creep up the levels. It just wasn't worth my time when I can go elsewhere for the help and information that I need."

If you check, you will find that I only made a couple of introductory posts over the space of a week or two and haven't posted since. Nor have I been back to the site. I didn't say anything bad about them, just that it wasn't for me. SOOOO, I don't think the fact that they haven't deleted me for non-activity should make you use that derrogatory tone about my having joined, or my tax knowledge either. You can only scam the IRS for so long before you get caught. Look at all the big corps and CPA firms that found that out the hard way :lol: .

Walsenburg, CO

FRN Forums » PUBLIC SECTION » Open Discussion