First meeting with a general agent • PUBLIC SECTION • Open Discussion • Fugitive Recovery Network (FRN) Forums
FRN Banner
wordpress-ad

Post subject: Re: First meeting with a general agent
 Post Posted: Fri 08 Feb 2013 17:44 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3902
Experience: More than 10 years
Bill, That is absolutely the best advice that I have ever seen given to someone brand spanking new in this business. I hope this man takes this and makes a copy of it and follows it to a T. You covered it all and as others come along I hope they will read this and follow the many things mentioned.

You know I don't say much without meaning it, and I wanted you to know if I were starting out, that advice would be priceless.

Thanks Bill!

Asheville NC 28804
828-777-8667
Lic # NC10013561
Lic # TN 2033018

Never be haughty to the humble
or humble to the haughty - Jefferson Davis

Post Posted: Fri 08 Feb 2013 20:31 
Posting Newbie
Posting Newbie

FRN Agency ID #: 0
Experience: < 1 year
Thank you for the advice, all of you, It is very much appreciated. It really shows the caliber of the members on this forum.

Ban one,
The goal is to eventually have my own business.

Bill M.
Thank you for such a thoughtful reply and you definitely suggested some things I was not thinking of before reading your post. I am lucky to have another source of income while I gain experience and I foresee it increasing my chances of making it long term in this business.

Steve,
As far as my location I live in Madison county but my work is in the SE Columbus area. I intend on using my location to my advantage as I could easily cover everything from Dayton to Lancaster OH and am very familiar with the entire central Ohio area from growing up here...... and I may very well take you up on that phone call.

NPN:16873052

Post Posted: Sat 09 Feb 2013 08:02 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 1474
Experience: More than 10 years
A bit more once you take the plunge... If you hook up with Steve F. a lot of this will be covered but I just thought I'd drop some more on ya... (mainly because it is early, I am on my 3rd coffee and being wired... I just felt like writing something 8) )

1. Make completely sure that you have total compliance in your state of operation, licenses with proper agencies, gun permits if you decide to carry, etc. and do not take one persons word for this (including mine) talk to numerous sources and LISTEN closely... often times it is what is not said that is important.

2. This is extremely important.... once you are up and running... if you are the one making the decision to 'write or not to write'... "DO NOT WRITE THE PREMIUM... WRITE THE BOND" Look past the premium money... bail bonds is about the bond... I cannot stress this enough.... I have seen new folks enter this business and fail very quickly because they lost site of this #1 Rule... they wrote loose and went down the tube when they lost and/or forfeited a few bonds....

I know that the very first bond I wrote was on a "Mexican" kid that was being held on a little $500 bond... yep... $500. I charged him $250.... got all of his family to sign (I figured that was solid)... lined em up and took the picture of the entire family (6 or 7 as I remember).... they went out the jail door... got in a very large van and went straight to Mexico... never to be seen again. :oops: :oops: :oops: After I paid the forfeiture... my lovely wife looked at me and said... "so how long you figure your gonna stay in this business?" :oops: :oops:

3. IMHO... the main focus in this business is "INFORMATION"... everything else is second... try to fill in every blank line on the app... sometimes the most insignificant thing can mean the difference between recovery if your def. skips and a forfeiture.

4. If you don't like paperwork and/or details.... do not get into this business... the road to success in the bond business is paved with paperwork and details... always strive to KEEP EVERYTHING UP TO DATE.

5. When dealing with LE, courts, judges and anyone else who is in a controlling position on you and your business... remember this rule... "THE RULE OF THUMB IS... THERE IS NO RULE OF THUMB...

... and also.... even if you are right and the judge, LE, courts.... whomever.... are wrong.... 'they are always right'... so don't even try to change their mind at that point.... let it go and come back later to correct it....

I am trying to give you my take on this business... others I am sure have other opinions.. listen to everyone and make your own decision... weigh it all... there is wisdom in most everything, your job is to try and separate the BS from the wisdom.... ... and the funny thing in life is.... "sometimes the BS is filled with wisdom" :mrgreen: :shock: :roll:

... and this is a very good quote... IMHO: "Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment." "Will Rogers"

That's about all I will lay on ya... GOOD LUCK.

DCJS: 99-176979
Cell: 434-294-0222

"Endeavor to Persevere" "Lone Watie"

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that , comes from bad judgment" "Will Rogers"

FRN Forums » PUBLIC SECTION » Open Discussion