Investigative work related to PI license • PUBLIC SECTION • Open Discussion • Fugitive Recovery Network (FRN) Forums
FRN Banner
wordpress-ad

Post subject: Re: Investigative work related to PI license
 Post Posted: Tue 24 May 2011 11:40 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3828
Experience: More than 10 years
Curtis wrote:
Sir,

I for one have never understood how someone with a law enforcement background is qualified to be a private investigator as the job is totally different from what they've been doing their entire career.

I have conducted thousands of Investigations while with the N.Y.C. PD (Robberies, Assaults, Burglaries, Police Officer assassinated and then went under cover which led to the capture of the shooter, etc..) also I have spent many a nights on roof tops with binoculars while I was assigned to SNEU (Street Narcotics Enforcement Unit) watching drug dealers & getting intelligence on the who is who game of drug dealing .. believe you me when I tell you that I can honestly say that Private Investigations is very much part of being a Law Enforcement Officer.. being a cop is not always about writing a parking ticket and delivering a baby and handling domestic violence cases.. it involves "investigations" as well.

NABBI Member

"Surprise Sex is the Best Thing to Wake up to, UNLESS, You are in Jail... "

Post Posted: Tue 24 May 2011 12:20 
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 0
Experience: < 1 year
This is from the CA website. Not your state, but has a list of jobs.

Quote:
Experience must be certified by your employer and have been received while you were employed as a sworn law enforcement officer, military police officer, insurance adjuster, employee of a licensed PI or repossessor, or arson investigator for a public fire suppression agency. (Work as a process server, public records researcher, custodial attendant for a law enforcement agency, bailiff, agent who collects debts in writing or by telephone after the debtor has been located, or person who repossesses property after it has been located is not considered qualifying experience.)

California PC1299 Compliant Fugitive Recovery
Process Serving
Mobile Notary
Security Consulting

Post Posted: Tue 24 May 2011 12:38 

Demian,

Thanks man! Exactly what I was looking for.

Post Posted: Wed 25 May 2011 08:28 
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 2567
Experience: 7 - 10 years
Jeff,

I understand your point, but I still choose to disagree with you. My reasoning is this while you as an individual did those things how many other officers can say that. My second point would be while you have investigated a wide range of felonies you did so with the help and support of a government/state ran agency where you have access to information and materials that as private investigators we can only dream about. I understand that some officers like yourself have done many things in their career. I do believe that the majority especially in small towns of officers have no more clue how to conduct and run a private investigations company than I would of how to do their job. In some states the law may stipulate what a police officer has had to accomplish in order to obtain private investigator licensing, in Tennessee all that the law requires is that the individual have been a law-enforcement officer to my understanding in any capacity. I understand why you take offense to my statement and it is possible that my statement is too broad, but it is truly my opinion.

Jacksboro, Tn 37757
(865)223-2049
Tn P.I Lic # 6495 / 1609
T.C.A.40-11-301 Compliance Card
Member NAIS,NLLI,TPIA,USAPI,TACDL

Post Posted: Wed 25 May 2011 10:18 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3828
I do respect your opinion and didnt take offense to it .. I have to tell you that I did not have all this super duper equipment that you speak of..

Yes I could run tags on vehicles and run Criminal History Checks on subjects.. but nothing that IRB couldnt do for me as well..actually I wish I had IRB back in the day .. it might have made my job alot easier..

NABBI Member

"Surprise Sex is the Best Thing to Wake up to, UNLESS, You are in Jail... "

Post Posted: Mon 13 Jun 2011 20:15 

Want a PI License without waiting 2-3 years for full time experience? The answer is simple, but comes with a cost. "Obtain a sponsor". A sponsor is a licensed private investigator willing to help you.

Some states, like California, call it a "qualified manager". Other states have different names, but in the end it means obtaining a licensed private investigator to sponsor your agency license, which in turn qualifies you for your personal license.

I have seen this work on two web sites:

The first web site (which is a national agency) sells a territory for $25,000 and guarantees to sponsor your agency and personal license.

The second web site (which is a private investigator's association) offers several memberships, one of which includes locating and screening a sponsor for you at no additional charge). I have seen their processing take less than a week to obtain the sponsor with pre-approval for the license, which is mailed within a few weeks.

After you have had your agency license for 2-3 years, then you no longer need the sponsor. But by then you may wish to keep the licensed PI on your staff as your business grows.

Good luck with your endeavors.

Post Posted: Mon 13 Jun 2011 21:46 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 567
Just one correction regarding California requirements; you can not be a qualified manager for an agency unless you meet the same requirements as the license holder/owner. However, in California, you can be employed by a licensed private investigator without having to obtain a license yourself but you will still have to have the 6000 hours of experience to obtain your own license or to act as a qualified manager.

Post Posted: Sun 14 Aug 2011 18:39 
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 0
Experience: < 1 year
Bill Williams wrote:
Want a PI License without waiting 2-3 years for full time experience? The answer is simple, but comes with a cost. "Obtain a sponsor". A sponsor is a licensed private investigator willing to help you.

Some states, like California, call it a "qualified manager". Other states have different names, but in the end it means obtaining a licensed private investigator to sponsor your agency license, which in turn qualifies you for your personal license.

I have seen this work on two web sites:

The first web site (which is a national agency) sells a territory for $25,000 and guarantees to sponsor your agency and personal license.

The second web site (which is a private investigator's association) offers several memberships, one of which includes locating and screening a sponsor for you at no additional charge). I have seen their processing take less than a week to obtain the sponsor with pre-approval for the license, which is mailed within a few weeks.

After you have had your agency license for 2-3 years, then you no longer need the sponsor. But by then you may wish to keep the licensed PI on your staff as your business grows.

Good luck with your endeavors.

Mind sharing the websites?

California PC1299 Compliant Fugitive Recovery
Process Serving
Mobile Notary
Security Consulting

Post Posted: Sun 14 Aug 2011 20:06 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 2570
Mr, Retired Federal Agent,
I know where your post is going and don't go there.

(1) There are no short cuts. The Mandatory Hours that are put in place are there for a reason.
(2) Surveillance is a choice, There are PI that wouldn't touch a Domestic or surveillance case.
(3) A good surveillance person is worth his weight in gold( Just because you can sit in a car & take Pictures for hrs will not qualify you as a Surveillance Investigator as there is so much more that needs to be done)
(4.) Leo's make good Investigators on certain Projects and i still have 2 Deputy Sheriffs that i get extra work for. Officers know how to interview, They know how to read people, most can write a good report and i can go on, then on some types of work they are not worth a shit until they get the Public Sector out of there system.
(5.) You can be one of the best investigators in the world and you will go broke trying to run a business. It is two completely different animals i can assure anyone. Not everyone is cut out for the headache of running a business full time for profit and if you have employees well i won't go there at this time.

Do the time, learn all you can. I have spent thousands of dollars taking classes on different subjects over the years, One thing to remember all the money brought into a business is NOT PROFIT

Retired Private Investigator & Bail Enforcement
NAM VET 1969- 1975 US Army (RECON)
Office 260-220-3877
1-888-631-5520
Fax 260-456-6062

Post Posted: Mon 15 Aug 2011 14:44 
Posting Newbie
Posting Newbie

FRN Agency ID #: 3861
Hello,

In the State of Illinois, you need to have either been a sworn law enforcement officer above the rank of patrolman, or have worked for a private detective for three years. The three-year requirement can be reduced by one or two years if you have an associate's degree or a bachelor's degree in a related field. Another way to be licensed here, is to have been licensed in another state first, and then get licensed here, based on the fact that you were already licensed.

Perhaps your state has some similar provision.

Fidelity Security & Investigative Services, Inc.
Private Detective Agency 117-001551
Chicago, IL. 60641
BB: 773-940-9844
Office: 773-787-5577

FRN Forums » PUBLIC SECTION » Open Discussion