Practical Martial Arts training? • PUBLIC SECTION • Open Discussion • Fugitive Recovery Network (FRN) Forums
FRN Banner
wordpress-ad

Post subject: Practical Martial Arts training?
 Post Posted: Thu 19 Mar 2009 18:57 
Posting Newbie
Posting Newbie

FRN Agency ID #: 0
Experience: None
I just came accross this website and was curious as to what self defense training you all have encountered in your time in the business, I am looking for somthing practical in real life situations and possibly some work out routine suggestions, thanks!

Post subject: Re: Practical Martial Arts training?
 Post Posted: Fri 20 Mar 2009 05:56 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 1474
Experience: More than 10 years
Boy, is that a complicated question... if you have a good friend in LE or Special Forces... just a couple of quick take down moves with your hands is probably all you really need... although I will tell you that after 15+ years of training in several styles of Karate... I have only been in two real confrontation and got my azz whipped both times... but that was only because she was a lot faster and a lot younger and she didn't fight fair... :shock:

But seriously, self defense tactics are like automobiles... or women... whatever you feel comfortable with will work for you... but do not get involved with these so called "schools" that take your money over time and give you an expensive work out and little "practical" training and then wrap a pretty colored belt around you and give you a piece of paper to hang on the wall. Looking back over years of trying to be a bad azz... as a lot of self proclaimed macho guys do... my opinion is that if you can perfect just a couple of good quick moves and forget about all the extensive training... that's all you really need...

I would also say that ending a confrontation as quickly as possible is primary in my book... you don't want to spend 10 minutes duking it out with some guy... take him/her down as quickly as possible... best for all concerned... also, I usually wear a real good pair of 'tennis shoes' cause if your still standing after about 6 seconds... I'm bookin'...

... of course you should stay in shape and work out a couple of times a week just for general health...

... of course you can also save yourself a lot of money and sore body by simply employing a couple of Navy Seals to help you when you have to take on a real bad azz.... I have several friends that I can call on when needed and I just step back and watch... :mrgreen: I have found that to be a lot cheaper and easier on my body... of course if you just want to mix it up with somebody... get into cage fighting.

DCJS: 99-176979
Cell: 434-294-0222

"Endeavor to Persevere" "Lone Watie"

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that , comes from bad judgment" "Will Rogers"

Post Posted: Fri 20 Mar 2009 06:57 

The best way is to not fight fair. End it before it begins. If you get into a fight, shame on you, you made a mistake somewhere if you think about it.

Have enough help there to overpower teh situation. Have enough toys (spray, tazers, asps, etc...) that a fight wont break out or wont last long if it does. Most of the time, if someone is going to fight, their actions will telegraph it. Their butts should already be on the ground and cuffed before they begin to fight.

Having said that, it doesnt hurt to have some training. My son trains MMA, mainly Jui Jitsu, Mauy Thai and Kickboxing. I go to train with him and learn a little here and there that would be useful.

Post Posted: Fri 20 Mar 2009 08:28 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 2065
Experience: 7 - 10 years
Andy is absolutely right. In over 6 years, I have not had one single fight. I've had them to resist, but not fight.

Jui Jitsu and Karate are the two I have taken and in my opinion, Karate is only a sport. Jui Jitsu is practicle in take downs when someone wants to resist.

Toys come in handy for intimidation, but I've never had to use them except for spraying dogs.

Anniston, AL

Post Posted: Fri 20 Mar 2009 12:52 
Posting Newbie
Posting Newbie

FRN Agency ID #: 0
Experience: None
Hey thanks alot every one, I just wanted to be able to get someone under control if the need arises, not to go out and get into a fist fight. I'm a pretty calm and collected person by nature, but I, to be honest, have only been in a few fights my whole life and have only ever lost 1 out of the maybe 5 times Ive fought. I'm gonna get into a routine and try to find a mentor in my area, is there alot I can learn from the http://www.bondforfeitures.com/ video for the $120.00 it runs? I am interested in a career where I can make a difference and have some excitement in my life, I just turned 21 and I havnt gone into school or anything as I want to do more than be involved with law enforcement in general. Although Ive been told my past issues with partying too hard would DQ me from being a cop so I havnt gone far down that road as I also feel fugitive recovery is somthing I'd be more interested in. If you all feel spending the money on the class is worth it I will certainly purchase it and get on with more learning. Thank you all for all of your informative posts!

Post Posted: Fri 20 Mar 2009 17:53 
in memoriam

Eagle wrote:
in my opinion, Karate is only a sport.

oooooo, disagree there.... sport is what America has made it... with all the youth competition etc... I think the origins of martial arts would tend to disagree also, regardless of the style.... they are sport now because there is really no practical application for all the moves and strikes and that goes for all MA in todays society.... it's all sport, even the bad boys in the cages... just sport.

What we are talking about is gaining instant control of whomever you are after... and that can be done with any of the arts if the move is done correctly and quickly... every country over the years has developed varies forms of MA. If you really want to get confused google MA and take a look at what is really out there... here is a small example... Kenpo Karate, Chun Kuk Do, Kajukenbo, Kickboxing, Shootfighting, Aikido, Iaido, Jujitsu, Karate, Kenpo, Kendo, Kyudo, Ninjitsu, Sumo, Taido, Kuntao, Pentjak Silat, Tarung Derajat, Hapkido, Hwa Rang Do, Jidokwan, Kuk Sool Won, Kumdo, Soo Bahk Do, Tae Kwon Do, Tang Soo Do, Yudo...

... do you get my point...?? and that was only 4 countries.... there are hundreds of different styles in dozens of countries and each has it's advantages and disadvantages.... sport... oh sure, sport alright but who is to say which is best??

In the end it is I believe as I pointed out in the first post.... learn a couple of moves from qualified people and forget about trying to become Bruce Lee... unless of course that is your goal... and I say again... buy a good pair of tennis shoes... and surround yourself with a couple of Seals... and buy a good quality 'pepper spray'... it's always good to be prepared... I won't even mention a firearm cause that is a different level of what we are talking about here.....

I will tell you this.......... a tough street fighter will kick the karate kids azz everytime....

... so now all you kung fu guys jump on me and tell me where I am getting this wrong.... BTW, I personally think these are the deepest MA: Chinese Kempo, Kung Fu, Jeet Kune Do, San Shou, Tai Chi, Pa Kua Chang, Wing Chun, Wushu, Zui Quan

If you want to know how I knew all these styles... I just copied them off a website..... :lol: :lol:

There's an old story that goes like this...

Guy in a bar gets mad... jumps back into a fighting stance and sounds off with a loud "Kiaaahhh"... he then says... "this is Karate from Japan... don't mess with me"... the guy he is facing picks up a bar stool and hits him over the head knocking him out... he looks at the bartender and says... "when he wakes up tell him that was a bar stool from Sears and Roebuck" and walks out the door.

Martial arts don't always work... sometimes you have to incorporate something else.... like planning

Sorry........... sort of got a little off the subject here... you can move this is you guys want...

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that , comes from bad judgment" "Will Rogers"

Last edited by speezack on Sat 21 Mar 2009 06:54, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Fri 20 Mar 2009 22:40 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3904
Well if you have legal issues that would eliminate you from working in law enforcement, they may also prevent you from working in bail as a recovery agent.

So what issues do you have? Any felonies?

Post Posted: Sat 21 Mar 2009 06:22 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 5
Quote:
...have some excitement in my life,

This statement alone, in spite of all the others you have made, scares the hell out of me. This speaks volumes about where your head is. Being 21, looking for the adrenaline rush, the power plays, control issues, and all of the other psychological processes that accompany your current mindset indicate to me that potentially you are a walking liability.

The main function of any PROFESSIONAL BEA is to mitigate our client's liability in as low profile and non-confrontational manner as possible. There are many ways to do this. For example, I just exonerated a client's high dollar bond on Thursday and never laid eyes or hands on the defendant. I found her in a local jail. I called the client, told him to go serve his bail pieces on her so he could come off her bond, thereby relieveing him of his surety obligation to the courts.

Like everyone else is telling you, if an apprehension has escalated into a physical confrontation, then something went wrong somewhere. Poor planning, not enough man power, overconfidence, under estimating the defendant, etc.

The other consideration here, that most people in general fail to consider, is losing a fight. Very few of us ever entertain the idea that if engaged in a physical altercation, could we actually beat this defendant ? Then you have other issues...other family members/friends in the house, dogs, birds (yes, alot of people have birds as pets who can be extremely violent) terrain, escape routes, tunnels ( yes, people do cut hatches, especially in mobile homes, to duck into that go under the trailer and out into the yard.)

I have been physically attacked by family members while fighting with a def; I have had other family members physically place themselves in between msyelf and the def; on one occasion I completely under estimated the situation and it quickly deteriorated into a major issue and I have never made that mistake again. Now I do so much research on a defendant that I know more about them than they do, and I try to choose the location, the timing, everything to where it is as low profile, confrontational, and professional as possible.

Another example for you to use as a life lesson: 3 years ago, 1 of my best friends who is in this business, was over confident and under estimated a defendant. It was supposed to be a "porch pick up"....he and his back up rolled up to the defendant's house and saw the defendant sitting on the front porch drinking a beer. My buddy got out and approached him. He identified himself as being from the bonding company and as he was explaining everything to the defendant he went to cuff him. The defendant unexpectedly jerked back, resisted, and began fighting back. Now this was an all out street fight, literally in the front yard. The def. broke free and ran down the street. My buddy caught up to him, tackled him, and finally managed to cuff him.

While my buddy was walking the def back to the car, he felt something wet and sticky on his stomach. He looked down and discovered the def. had stabbed him ! So then the obvious happened...911 calls, hospital, etc. My buddy survived, Praise God, but now he is missing a good portion of his intestines and stomach, and can only eat certain foods.
And to add insult to injury, it was all over a $300 bond !..while my buddy's hospital bills are around $70k !

So to wrap this up, it always goes back to proper planning, sufficient man power, knowing everything there is to know about your defendant, and recognizing your own vulnerabilities.

"A man has to know his limitations"- Clint Eastwood

Post Posted: Sat 21 Mar 2009 06:49 
in memoriam

tsuggs wrote:
Well if you have legal issues that would eliminate you from working in law enforcement, they may also prevent you from working in bail as a recovery agent.So what issues do you have? Any felonies?

Quote:
my past issues with partying too hard would DQ me from being a cop

I think that is the bottom line...

Research the Michigan requirements... although as far as I can tell, there are no regulations pertaining to BEA in Michigan... which on the surface sound like it is wide open but in reality, slams the door on you because most any law can be dropped on you in the course of your work... the formost of which are kidnapping and crossing a state line with the perp... my experience has been that when there are no specific laws relating to a particular activity... the LE and courts start making them up and applying similar laws to intervene... and that is another bag you don't want to get into.

This is a very, very complicated business... not at all simple as so many folks would like to believe... so, so many different limbs on this tree... Ruffin told you right... plan and research... and in the end... if the issues you hint at warrant... you may want to consider another line of work.

Post Posted: Sat 21 Mar 2009 10:35 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 5
Bill,

New laws governing Michigan were passed last year, they just haven't been posted yet. I don't know exactly what they are, but I would consult with Steve F.

FRN Forums » PUBLIC SECTION » Open Discussion