Article in the Wisconsin State Journal • PUBLIC SECTION • Open Discussion • Fugitive Recovery Network (FRN) Forums
FRN Banner
wordpress-ad

Post subject: Article in the Wisconsin State Journal
 Post Posted: Sat 22 Jun 2013 10:56 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 1474
Experience: More than 10 years
While reading the Wisconsin State Journal, a state that does not allow bonding, I came across the article that was forwarded by Tony Suggs and just had to respond to a post made related to that article.

Here is the link to the article and also a copy of my response, I would welcome comments... as many of you already know... I have a hard time keeping my mouth shut when I believe something needs to be said.... it has gotten me in hot water before but that is just the way I am and will not change... You would think that an old shy, reclusive man like myself could keep my mouth shut... but alas... I cannot help myself.... I am not afraid to stand up for what I think is right and should be addressed.

http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/local/ ... cadfe.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

... and my response...

Please allow me to comment on Chapman and Suggs... I have been a licensed, compliant bondsman in Virginia for 13 years. I am also a licensed Private Investigator and a small business owner for many years. I can tell you that being licensed and being compliant are two entirely different things; while Mr. Chapman may be licensed, he is also operating in a state; Hawaii; that as far as I know, allows convicted felons to be licensed as bondsmen and/or recovery agents... ie: bounty hunters. Unless I am mistaken, and you may correct me if I am wrong about this fact, Mr. Chapman is still a convicted felon (unless his rights have been restored) and as such cannot operate legally in many states, Virginia being one. I do know that he has operated illegally in some states and faced charges in Mexico... which was highly publicized and although he obviously has a following, he is not representative of the industry as a whole. 'Dog' is a TV personality and operates with cameras rolling... he dresses like a SWAT member and is certainly successful in his TV portrayal in his role. I might also mention that Mr. Suggs is a respected member of the California bail industry and operates a very respectable and successful bonding company in that state. There are many in our industry that operate legally and compliant within their jurisdictions but remain below the radar and do not seek fanfare. I for one do not aspire to be on TV, I am not the least bit impressed or envious of Dog or any of the many similar shows that basically are there for the excitement, the money and very little else. I operate in a small town environment as do so many others in this industry. There is also a major difference between bondsmen and recovery agents. Although each may rely on the other for business associations, the licensing and compliance of each is very different. There are states that do not require licensing for recovery agents but I do not know of a single state that does not require a bondsman to be licensed and compliant. My point here is that the recovery industry, ie: bounty hunter, is unfortunately filled with a vast number of members who are… for lack of a better description… are “cowboys”… wanna bee law enforcement and as such absolutely give a black eye to the industry as a whole. Now there are many that are legal, licensed and compliant and those generally are the ones that no one sees or hears about because they operate quietly, legally and strive to be compliant. In my short tenure as a bondsman, I have made many pickups on those that FTA or for whatever reason fail to comply with my bonding conditions. I have never kicked down a door, dragged someone by the hair, dressed like I was a SWAT member or portrayed myself as anyone or anything other than a legal member of the bonding business. I can tell you that I have not, to date, had a single problem with law enforcement or the courts that I deal with and that is simply because I strive to do it in a manner that garners respect. Many of us operate the same way.

As for Beth Chapman being voted into the PBUS organization, allow me to say that if you believe that there is any other motivation for PBUS to place her in that position… other than the obvious notoriety and the garner of membership simply because she is a TV personality; your glasses are quite rose colored. She is there because she and Dog have a presence that will increase membership and money to that organization and for no other reason… do you seriously believe that she is there because of her articulate ability to communicate or her vast intelligence? You need not watch and listen but to one show to form your opinion on that.

I will only say, please do not paint us all with a negative brush. The bonding industry has been and can continue to be a very viable part of the judicial system. If managed and operated properly, this industry can continue to provide a totally self supporting, non tax based service that can actually enhance public LE services and free up members of that segment of the system to do much more important things. Chasing fugitives who simply fail to comply with court orders absolutely takes up valuable resources. One other thought, defendants have a constitutional right to be free during their trial unless overruled by a court, judge or magistrate. That right has existed since before this country was formed and was brought here from the European legal system. It has worked and can continue to work if implemented properly. I will be the first to agree that there are problems within the system but that can be said of pretty much any industry. Working together to fix the problems is certainly more difficult than sitting back and voicing a negative opinion, but it can be fixed.

Without going into a more lengthy discussion, I would offer those to take a look at a newly formed association that operates as a 501c nonprofit organization for the betterment of this industry as a whole. That association is NABBI, the National Association of Bail Bond Investigators and can be viewed on its website http://www.nabbi.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow. I would offer everyone to form their opinions after all the facts are in.

DCJS: 99-176979
Cell: 434-294-0222

"Endeavor to Persevere" "Lone Watie"

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that , comes from bad judgment" "Will Rogers"

Post subject: Re: Article in the Wisconsin State Journal
 Post Posted: Sat 22 Jun 2013 12:41 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3904
Bill,

Thanks for posting the link here. There are so many wrong facts from those 2, it is laughable. As the man said, "You can't fix stupid."

Post Posted: Sat 22 Jun 2013 13:02 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 340
O My Gosh ! Some people are beyond belief ! btw . . . WHO is this Mike Helmer character ? an 'employee" of the Chapman's ?

Do not consider anything for your interest which makes you break your word, quit your modesty, or inclines you to any practice which will not bear the light, or look the world in the face .... Marcus Antonius

I AM Some Folks "KARMA" and A MODERATOR @ FRN

Post Posted: Sat 22 Jun 2013 21:06 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 1474
Sure are getting heat on that post... it never ceases to amaze me how easy it is to enrage the uninformed... I actually wish Dog and Beth would step into Virginia or NC or Maryland or any of a dozen states and attempt to make a recovery.... that would deflate the sails rather quickly.

DCJS: 99-176979
Cell: 434-294-0222

"Endeavor to Persevere" "Lone Watie"

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that , comes from bad judgment" "Will Rogers"

Post Posted: Sun 23 Jun 2013 15:47 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3671
Experience: 3 - 5 years
You just wait, Bill. Here in Cali, we have very clear laws that state no felons, which of course he is, and rules for compliance, which he has not met. Yet, this past March, he did his thing here and broadcasted it nationwide in May. Then he went to Nevada which, law wise, makes us look like kindergarten! If they want to bring their particular brand of bullshit to your yard, they will.

Ca. Bail Agent Lic#1845795
Owner/Operator, Thomas Duprey Bail Bonds
Owner/Operator, Orange County Bounty
(714) 727-4689

Post Posted: Sun 23 Jun 2013 16:10 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 455
Unfortunately halfway through the pig wrestling exercise, you realize that the pig likes it. Kind of like arguing with a liberal...

Scott

"Leaders are like Eagles, you never see them in a flock, but one at a time"

Chesapeake Group Investigations, Inc.
Chesapeake Bail Bonds
877-574-0500
301-392-1100 (fax)
301-392-1900 (Office)

Post Posted: Sun 23 Jun 2013 17:55 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3904
So true Scott. And it is very hard to get the mud off afterwards.

Post Posted: Sun 23 Jun 2013 20:44 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 340
Mdbtyhtr wrote:
Unfortunately halfway through the pig wrestling exercise, you realize that the pig likes it. Kind of like arguing with a liberal...

Scott

amen ! Best just to leave it with a final . . . "whatever" (we all know what that means) ;) sometimes some folks stupid asses just aren't worth the rise in blood pressure

Do not consider anything for your interest which makes you break your word, quit your modesty, or inclines you to any practice which will not bear the light, or look the world in the face .... Marcus Antonius

I AM Some Folks "KARMA" and A MODERATOR @ FRN

FRN Forums » PUBLIC SECTION » Open Discussion