Dash Camera • PUBLIC SECTION • Open Discussion • Fugitive Recovery Network (FRN) Forums
FRN Banner
wordpress-ad

Post subject: Dash Camera
 Post Posted: Fri 01 Mar 2013 11:06 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 1474
Experience: More than 10 years
Looking to purchase a good quality dash camera... I ordered one advertised on KimKomando for $99... shoulda known.... she is hot but the camera was cold.... very poor quality video and basically terrible sound... gonna send it back... I don't want to pay $500 for it but I feel there are better quality items out here....

So.... who has an opinion on this stuff.....

DCJS: 99-176979
Cell: 434-294-0222

"Endeavor to Persevere" "Lone Watie"

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that , comes from bad judgment" "Will Rogers"

Post subject: Re: Dash Camera
 Post Posted: Fri 01 Mar 2013 12:25 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3902
Bill, I don't own a dash camera and don't know much if anything about them, but I'm thinking Jeff would probably have some helpful information on those. He probaly knows someone with one or maybe has one himself. Pretty knowledgeable guy and his car is decked out pretty good.

Good luck.

Asheville NC 28804
828-777-8667
Lic # NC10013561
Lic # TN 2033018

Never be haughty to the humble
or humble to the haughty - Jefferson Davis

Post Posted: Fri 01 Mar 2013 19:54 
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 0
Experience: None
Hello Bill,

You don't have to pay top dollars for an HD camera nowadays. Apex, GoPro, and Contour are known for their compact, and outstanding video quality playback. I work a lot, with cameras, both still and videos.

In video, I've rigged small video cameras on a drone; remote controlled aircraft.

There's a new buzz in the industry right now that's endangering and highly competing with major companies.

Coleman came out, with their own version of HD sport camera called the "Coleman CSXSWP-R" and has been tweaking the little HD cam to perfection, I'm not saying that the old version wasn't perfect, but they really focused in the color and sharpness, they lowered down the sharpness and tamed its color pallet.

I have been a fan GoPro, I own 6 of them for aerial videography work, but the quality of the Coleman HD camera exceeded my expectations, the Coleman is cooler in Kelvin temperature than of that of the Contour and GoPro, this means that when you take night footage, any ambient that exceeds 57k are not distorted.

Here's the Coleman: http://www.beachcamera.com/shop/product ... 1496760966

The only cons about this device is that there is little support in rigs and attachments, like of that of a GoPro and Contour.

BailSpeak Alumni
N.A.B.B.I member

Post Posted: Fri 01 Mar 2013 20:10 
in memoriam

Wow, that is some good info... wish I had seen this 3 hours ago... I did a bit of reading and research and checked some reviews.... a couple of taxi companies use the one I just ordered.. that, IMHO is a pretty good recommendation for a dash cam... wasn't too expensive... if it doesn't work out... I will send it back... thanks for the info... you obviously have a lot of experience in this field....

I just ordered the following... "720p Wide Angle Dual Car Camera with GPS & Night Vision Dash Cam" because of the recommendations and it records to the front and the rear (the road and the front seat... wide enough for both driver and passenger... which is important in our business.

http://www.zetronix.com/Car-Cameras/c59 ... _info.html

Not too expensive but again... if it doesn't pan out.... I can send it back...

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that , comes from bad judgment" "Will Rogers"

Post Posted: Sat 02 Mar 2013 15:32 
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 0
I used one from www.DieselBoss.com 2 cam. system for $ 299.00 .

Post Posted: Sun 03 Mar 2013 07:47 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3828
Hey Bill its been a crazy work load of a week .. I finally found where my head rolled to when it fell off my shoulders last week.. here is a China EBay camera.. but I did alot of review reading and people seem to report it works well and I have seen youtube video on it .. although this auction is over you may be able to find it in their ebay store.. http://www.ebay.com/itm/190786028419?ss ... 1423.l2649

it has dual front back video recording and logs gps as well.. with night vision too.

NABBI Member

"Surprise Sex is the Best Thing to Wake up to, UNLESS, You are in Jail... "

Post Posted: Fri 08 Mar 2013 07:34 
in memoriam

Ok... let me give a brief critique on this product...

Last nite I hooked this little jewel up on the way to the jail... plugged it in after attaching it to the center of my windshield... made no adjustments... just plugged it in... the GPS set itself automatically... the record started up in about 10 seconds... automatically....

It ran for about 2 hours... with a 8G SD mini card.... one of the really little ones.... after I got home, I took the card out and inserted it in the "USB card reader" that came with the unit... installed the software CD, that came with the unit... opened the program and 'voila' ...

Here's my report...

1. it is small and compact, about the size of a pack of cigarettes...
2. it has no viewing screen, which initially I thought might be a drawback but in retrospect... I think that is probably a good idea since you are not distracted while it is on and recording.
3. it records both to the front of the vehicle and to the rear... inside the vehicle.
4. even in total darkness inside my car... the IR lit up the entire view and all was visible very clearly inside ... it has a 170 degree spread which takes in the entire interior.
5. the front view outside the car is about 120 degrees which is plenty wide... wider than the fenders...
6. nite vision if very good... probably as good as any recorder in nothing more than headlights.... in fact... I came upon several deer on the trip and it recorded them very clearly.
7. details are clear and if viewed on a good computer, with plenty of RAM... it plays back smoothly
8. the sound is great... it recorded my entire conversation with YAK... which I intend on saving for future reference and to keep for playback, if he gets out of line.
9. when you get home or office you simply remove the SD disc, put it in the card reader, insert it into your computer via the USB and open the program.
10. here is where I was really impressed... I mean big time... listen to this....

It is of course in living color....

a. the viewing screen has 3 separate panels... one large one that shows the front view as you drive... then one smaller one to the right that shows the interior of the car... very clear... then another below and to the right, which shows a GPS map and follows the entire route either in map mode or satellite view...
b. it also has a speedometer on the left bottom, a clock showing real time... several buttons to change all sorts of stuff.... like kilometers to MPH... time change... save mode, fast forward, reverse, pause... etc. etc.. etc...

I cannot say enough about this little unit... and for $300 that is a deal... IMHO.

I would recommend it to anyone that is looking to put a dash cam in your vehicle.... very nice and not too expensive....

I only have one thing to say.... watch what you say cause it records everything... including "farts, belches, swear words... phone calls to girlfriends or boyfriends... and don't pick your nose... cause it seeeessss allllll...."

Post Posted: Fri 08 Mar 2013 13:33 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 340
Quote:
I only have one thing to say.... watch what you say cause it records everything... including "farts, belches, swear words... phone calls to girlfriends or boyfriends... and don't pick your nose... cause it seeeessss allllll...."

LOL . . that means it is a goooooood camera !

Do not consider anything for your interest which makes you break your word, quit your modesty, or inclines you to any practice which will not bear the light, or look the world in the face .... Marcus Antonius

I AM Some Folks "KARMA" and A MODERATOR @ FRN

FRN Forums » PUBLIC SECTION » Open Discussion