NC Bail Meeting • PUBLIC SECTION • Open Discussion • Fugitive Recovery Network (FRN) Forums
FRN Banner
wordpress-ad

Post subject: NC Bail Meeting
 Post Posted: Tue 19 Feb 2013 09:34 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 1474
Experience: More than 10 years
I am posting this in the public section as I feel it has importance to all.

Scott MacLean, Joe Stiles, Bill Williams and myself, attended a continuing education class in Concord, NC presented by the NCBA... "North Carolina Bail Academy"

The CE class was absolutely done in a very professional manner. Complete with a simulation done to discuss the proper way to enter a dwelling in search of a your skip. Many aspects of the NC legal system, rules, regulations and many of the legal requirements of entering and staying in this industry were presented.

Tim Mathis, a very well known and professional NC bondsman, was the moderator and teacher and did an outstanding job. Also in command of the meeting was Dallas McClain, also a licensed NC bondsman with many years experience.

Both these men did a very professional job of teaching this CE class.

The NABBI group was well represented and Mr. Maclean, Stiles, Williams and myself were on hand to meet and discuss the positive aspects of NABBI, the "National Association of Bail Bond Investigators"

I have a number of points that I intend on posting here but for now, I will simply start this thread and post a few pictures.

LtoR... Dallas McClain, Bill Williams, Bill Marx, Scott MacLean

Tim Mathis teaching

Note the closed video screen for the simulation... very high tech and professional.

... close up of the simulation.

DCJS: 99-176979
Cell: 434-294-0222

"Endeavor to Persevere" "Lone Watie"

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that , comes from bad judgment" "Will Rogers"

Post subject: Re: NC Bail Meeting
 Post Posted: Tue 19 Feb 2013 09:57 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 455
It was a very interesting class and the scenarios as well as the effort to set them up is very admirable. The NCBA is the fastest growing training school in NC and their efforts to put on a great class is the reason why!

Thanks to Bill Williams, for hosting us and to Dallas McClain (note he spells his last name wrong!) and Tim Mathis for an excellent presentation.

Scott

"Leaders are like Eagles, you never see them in a flock, but one at a time"

Chesapeake Group Investigations, Inc.
Chesapeake Bail Bonds
877-574-0500
301-392-1100 (fax)
301-392-1900 (Office)

Post Posted: Tue 19 Feb 2013 17:59 
in memoriam

I want to expand on this thread for several very important reasons... and I hope this information will get out and back to those that should or would or could make a difference in our industry and its' future.

Having been a licensed Virginia bail bondsman for almost 14 years... I feel I can discuss the following with a bit of expertise....

When DCJS took over the regulations of this industry (in Virginia)... around 2005... there were basically no major regulatory requirements involved in this industry.... at least not to the extent that were supposed to be enforced.

Oh you needed a license, yes... you needed CE on a regular basis, yes... you needed your carry permits renewed yearly and training as always, yes... but as time moved forward, I, and other bondsmen, noticed that the regulating, control and prosecution of illegal activities within our industry was quite shallow or even non existent.

I have had, for years, a saying relating to DCJS... and with all due respect... it was.... "DCJS has no teeth"...

Recently, I have noticed a slight increase in the interest that DCJS seems to have toward the bail bonding and recovery community and hopefully it will be for all our benefit. We all know that there are a few bondsmen and recovery agents that do not follow the rules and to that end, need to be regulated, brought out into the light and either corrected or removed. Most of us try very hard to follow the regulations set forth by this state and it is very disheartening when we see the actions of some that tend to be unprofessional and down right illegal.

I believe that training by certified, reputable and knowledgeable members of our industry is one of the best ways to correct many of the problems prevalent in our business practices. Enforcement and prosecution of the laws being broken is of course paramount also....

One of the things that I have noticed in Virginia is the complete lack of specific training in the CE courses offered to the bonding community. I have taken CE courses, every two years, since 1999.... and frankly, the only instruction that I am seeing, regardless of the school involved, is aimed at the insurance industry, namely the P&C segment, which as surety, we need to have... but training specific to the bail bonding segment is absolutely, non existent. About the only discussion that takes place related to the bonding business is when we are asked to tell a story about our supposed adventures while doing bonds or recovery.

I was extremely impressed with the class given in NC... it was aimed directly at the bail bondsmen and was related directly at the legal aspects and the state codes as they related to bonding and recovery. It was direct, to the point and when questions were asked, they were answered directly and with emphasis on specifics.

The scenarios were presented for training and gave a very good representation of the proper way to execute skip recovery. Other training scenarios were also available and I just wanted to commend the teachers and participants involved in this training course.

I again want to mention the organization responsible for this session... "The North Carolina Bail Academy"

I realize that CE related to our P&C licenses is needed for our insurance related surety... but regulations and training directed specifically at our bonding license also needs to be addressed... in fact, if insurance were the only CE requirement, why does a property bondsman have to take the CE courses????? no need???

I would very much like to see the teachers involved become compliant agents in Virginia and become involved in the CE training.... I absolutely believe all Virginia bondsmen and recovery agents would benefit. Other states have compliance agents that teach CE courses, who are based out of neighboring states, so it would not be a particularly difficult undertaking and frankly would probably be quite helpful to DCJS by providing much needed proper instruction which would be directly aimed at specific regulations and codes... something that is terribly needed in Virginia.

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that , comes from bad judgment" "Will Rogers"

Post Posted: Tue 19 Feb 2013 18:44 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 455
Very well said and there is nothing to add.

Scott

"Leaders are like Eagles, you never see them in a flock, but one at a time"

Chesapeake Group Investigations, Inc.
Chesapeake Bail Bonds
877-574-0500
301-392-1100 (fax)
301-392-1900 (Office)

Post Posted: Wed 20 Feb 2013 07:12 
in memoriam

Mdbtyhtr wrote:
Very well aaid and there is nothing to add.Scott

Quote:
It was a very onteresting class and the

Scott, if you continue to post from your cell phone or your ipad... you need to take a class on how to text or get an app that has a 'spell checker'... It is becoming a chore to correct your spelling... and for such a professional as yourself... you need to be more attentive to your spelling.... I will have to speak to your secretary.... :shock:

... I can't walk, but I can type.... 8)

Post Posted: Wed 20 Feb 2013 11:21 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 340
ahhhhhhhhhh sooooooooooo this is what you look like Bill W.

Would be nice to see this type of training come this way as well. However it would change the way that Companies had to cover themselves with Insurance.
To be "trained" is to be a greater "Liability" . . . does not make any damned sense to me

Do not consider anything for your interest which makes you break your word, quit your modesty, or inclines you to any practice which will not bear the light, or look the world in the face .... Marcus Antonius

I AM Some Folks "KARMA" and A MODERATOR @ FRN

Post Posted: Mon 25 Feb 2013 18:06 
in memoriam

I want to offer a belated apology to Joe Stiles... I did not get a picture of him at the NC meeting and for that I am sorry.... Joe is a very important member of not only the NABBI organization but a very well connected member of our national industry and attends these functions without fanfare and always is a knowledgeable contributor to the meetings.

The above picture was taken before Joe arrived and I should have taken another including him... but alas... I have fallen down on the job once again.... sorry Joe....

Post Posted: Mon 25 Feb 2013 20:11 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3902
Sorry Bill, but you can't blame yourself on this one...We were big time busy and you're human, regardless of what you may think :D Take care Big Brother!!

Asheville NC 28804
828-777-8667
Lic # NC10013561
Lic # TN 2033018

Never be haughty to the humble
or humble to the haughty - Jefferson Davis

Post Posted: Tue 26 Feb 2013 01:12 
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 92
No problem, Bill. I am not the least offended as I am not a huge fan of having my picture taken anyway. All that, "low profile" jazz that I'm very fond of. ;-)

Knoxville, TN
800-689-5031

FRN Forums » PUBLIC SECTION » Open Discussion