Pvt. prisoner transport screw up not far from me. • PUBLIC SECTION • Media Coverage • Fugitive Recovery Network (FRN) Forums
FRN Banner
wordpress-ad

Post subject: Pvt. prisoner transport screw up not far from me.
 Post Posted: Mon 20 Aug 2007 10:28 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 1343
Experience: More than 10 years
Tucson Region
2 prisoners flee transport van; both rearrested
By Dan Sorenson
arizona daily star
Tucson, Arizona | Published: 08.20.2007
advertisementAuthorities Sunday night caught the second of two convicted sex offenders who escaped in the afternoon from a private interstate prisoner transport van near I-10 and Cortaro Road, a Marana Police Department spokesman said.
The escape happened when the driver stopped at a Circle K, 5600 N. Cortaro Road, about 3 p.m. so a female prisoner could use the toilet, according to Sgt. Tim Brunenkant, of the Marana Police Department. Brunenkant said the driver told investigators that when he and the woman prisoner returned to the van, he found that the two male prisoners were gone.
The two male prisoners were wearing handcuffs and leg irons shackled by chains to a belt, "but were able to get out of them," he said. The restraints were found in the van, Brunenkant said.
Jose Montenegro Ramirez avoided apprehension until about 10:30 p.m. Police said a resident called 911 after Ramirez showed up at his home near West Massingale Road and I-10 looking for help.
The resident recognized Ramirez from earlier news reports of the escape. He ran from the home, but police already in the area searching for Ramirez tracked him down soon after the 911 call. A canine unit helped apprehend Ramirez, police said.
The 26-year-old was being returned on a California warrant for parole violation, with a sex offense as the original charge.
The second inmate who escaped, Luis Angel Torres, 25, was found on the I-10 frontage road between the Cortaro and Ina road exits about 5:30 p.m.. Torres was being held on a warrant for failure to register as a convicted sex offender, Brunenkant said.
Torres was taken to a hospital after capture. Torres had a pre-existing abdominal condition that required attention, Brunenkant said. No information was available on which hospital he was taken to.
The three prisoners, being transported by U.S. Extradition Service of Austin, Texas, were being taken to California, said Gordon Brooks, director of operations for the service.
Brooks said the company's rule of having one driver-guard watch over three prisoners is well within federal guidelines, which he said call for one employee per six prisoners.
He said other employees of the company were on the way to Arizona as of Sunday evening.
The prisoners are unlikely to be turned back over to the company, and other arrangements would be made for their transport, Brunenkant said. Escape charges are likely to be sought against Torres.
● Contact reporter Dan Sorenson at 573-4185 or dsorenson@azstarnet.com.
$1 Sunday delivery - Subscribe to the Arizona Daily StarEmail this storyPrint this storyLetter to the editorCopyright © 2007
Go Back Wildcat newsletters
ARIZONA• sign up now
U of A basketball coverage

Mark C. Cavendish is a Certified Fugitive Recovery Agent, P.O.S.T. Certified by the State of Colorado and registered with the Arizona Department of Insurance. Member of the National Surety Investigators Network #MC806, The U.S. Professional Bail Bond Investigators Association, and a Life Member of The U.S. Coalition of Bail recovery Agents "Cobra" Control # 1058. Serveing Arizona, Colorado and New Mexico.
phone 520.850.7490 24/7/365

"Sub Rosa"

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon 20 Aug 2007 10:36 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 324
Experience: 5 - 7 years
Guidelines be damned, you need more than one person, particularly if you are transporting people of opposite sexes. You never leave prisoners unattended for any reason!!

Sales Associate, Prepaid Legal Services, Inc.
Walsenburg, CO

Proud Member of the AB Reject Club

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon 20 Aug 2007 13:36 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3904
I wouldn't use that company based on its name. Seems to be trying to sound like a gov agency.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon 20 Aug 2007 15:39 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 340
DAMN ~ it should never be done one on one for this very type of reason ~ not smart, Fed Guidelines or not.

Do not consider anything for your interest which makes you break your word, quit your modesty, or inclines you to any practice which will not bear the light, or look the world in the face .... Marcus Antonius

I AM Some Folks "KARMA" and A MODERATOR @ FRN

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon 03 Sep 2007 16:20 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 340
anymore on this?

Do not consider anything for your interest which makes you break your word, quit your modesty, or inclines you to any practice which will not bear the light, or look the world in the face .... Marcus Antonius

I AM Some Folks "KARMA" and A MODERATOR @ FRN

FRN Forums » PUBLIC SECTION » Media Coverage