Deception Detection Techniques • PUBLIC SECTION • Open Discussion • Fugitive Recovery Network (FRN) Forums
FRN Banner
wordpress-ad

Post subject: Deception Detection Techniques
 Post Posted: Thu 19 Feb 2015 11:34 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 4013
Experience: More than 10 years
I highly recommend that you read the following articles if you would like to obtain more detailed insight regarding deception detection:
How to Detect Lies (links to all of the following articles)
http://www.blifaloo.com/info/lying-reso ... p#articles" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
How to Detect Lies - Become a Human Lie Detector (Part 1)
http://www.blifaloo.com/info/lies.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Eye Direction and Lying (Part 2)
http://www.blifaloo.com/info/lies_eyes.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Micro Expressions, Subtle Body Language and Lying (Part 3)
http://www.blifaloo.com/info/microexpressions.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Deception Detection Using Statement Analysis - Intro and Resources (Part 4)
http://www.blifaloo.com/info/lies-state ... alysis.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Deception Detection Using Statement Analysis - Unique Words: “Never” (Part 4b)
http://www.blifaloo.com/info/never-stat ... alysis.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Deception Detection Using Statement Analysis - Unique Words: “Actually” (Part 4c)
http://www.blifaloo.com/info/actually-s ... alysis.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Why People Lie and The Psychology of Lying (Part 5)
http://www.blifaloo.com/info/lying-why.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Los Angeles, California
(323) 786-FIND

"Approach is Everything."

Post subject: Re: Deception Detection Techniques
 Post Posted: Wed 08 Apr 2015 06:31 
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 0
Experience: 3 - 5 years
Good resources. Thanks for the post.

NSIN# LSH1002

Leo's Bail Bonds
ATU Monitoring & Recovery Service
Lansing, MI
(989) 721-6236
(517) 676-1021

Post Posted: Wed 15 Apr 2015 08:17 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 455
You could have attended and suported NABBI, there was a presentation at a previous conference on this very topic. :)

Scott

"Leaders are like Eagles, you never see them in a flock, but one at a time"

Chesapeake Group Investigations, Inc.
Chesapeake Bail Bonds
877-574-0500
301-392-1100 (fax)
301-392-1900 (Office)

Post Posted: Wed 15 Apr 2015 11:31 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

I really wish that I could have been there. Unfortunately, life is sometimes what happens while we're making other plans. Lately, my finances and timing haven't been cooperating with each other at all. I plan on joining NABBI just as soon as I can possibly afford to do so and I also hope to be able to personally attend future NABBI functions and participate in and contribute to professional efforts at the national level...

Los Angeles, California
(323) 786-FIND

Post Posted: Wed 15 Apr 2015 19:52 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3902
There are a tremendous amount of variables that go into deception detection techniques. It certainly isn't cut and dried by any stretch of the imagination. Just my opinion and the opinion of many experts that know much more than myself about these so called techniques.

Bill

Asheville NC 28804
828-777-8667
Lic # NC10013561
Lic # TN 2033018

Never be haughty to the humble
or humble to the haughty - Jefferson Davis

Post Posted: Thu 16 Apr 2015 06:51 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Now, that's a fact! There's definitely more than one way to skin a cat and just like Bill said, deception detection techniques most certainly aren't cut and dried. There's no single, surefire approach to curing all of our headaches. Fortunately, the more tools and skill sets that we possess, the more tasks that we can accomplish in a professional fashion. Whenever possible, I like to try to determine a person's intent in order to help me detect deception. Here's an example from my book:

Discovering a Wayward Bail Client’s True Intent
Whenever you have status checked a criminal court case and have discovered that a bail bond client has failed to appear in court and that the bail is currently in forfeiture, it is often a reasonably logical practice to attempt to discover that client’s true intent in regards to whether or not the client is going to accept personal responsibility for making the mistake and honestly attempt to correct the mishap. I would suggest making a phone call to the client and asking the following three questions, without being judgmental or revealing that you have already ascertained the facts of the matter:
Did you make your appearance in court?
What happened in court?
When is your next court appearance?
The opening statement to your conversation might sound something like this, “I was going over the master calendar and I noticed that you had court the other day and I’m calling to find out what happened in court and when your next court date will be.” By utilizing this type of approach and asking these specific questions, you will be providing the client with an opportunity to either:
    accept personal responsibility for having made a mistake and to be absolutely honest with you regarding the facts of the matter or
    attempt to deceive you regarding the matter
because you will be providing the perceived notion that you are uninformed about these same facts; which is a type of approach that is known as subterfuge because it is specifically engineered to elicit the facts regarding the client’s true intent. Whenever a client fails to accept personal responsibility for having made a mistake or inform you that the court date was missed, then you will have a better understanding of the facts regarding the situation, which will also serve to aid you in selecting the best approaches in regards to curing a forfeiture.

Los Angeles, California
(323) 786-FIND

Post Posted: Thu 16 Apr 2015 07:09 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3902
I think you just nailed it Jason. Try and always ask a question you already know the answer to. Find out really quickly who's being honest and who isn't.

Asheville NC 28804
828-777-8667
Lic # NC10013561
Lic # TN 2033018

Never be haughty to the humble
or humble to the haughty - Jefferson Davis

Post Posted: Thu 16 Apr 2015 08:28 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

That's right, Bill! Quite often, bail clients will "beat around the bush" in a cunning effort to be deceptive about their true intent. Bail bond professionals can also utilize similar tactics with a hidden agenda in mind...

I combed through that paragraph and made some modifications to it in an effort to make it more clear and concise...proof reading and editing are extremely important tasks...so, here is the latest version of the same...

Utilizing Subterfuge in Order to Discover a Wayward Bail Client’s True Intent
Whenever you have status checked a criminal court case and have discovered that the bail is currently in forfeiture because a bail bond client has failed to appear in court, it is often a reasonably logical practice to attempt to discover that client’s true intent in regards to the matter. Your chief objective at this point is to ascertain whether or not the client is going to be absolutely honest and forthcoming or deceitful with you regarding the facts of the matter. I would suggest making a phone call to the client and implying that you need to obtain the answers to the following three questions, without appearing to be judgmental or revealing that you have already ascertained the facts regarding the matter:
Did you make your appearance in court?
What happened in court?
When is your next court appearance?
The opening statement to your conversation might sound something like this, “I was reviewing the master calendar and I noticed that you had court the other day, so I’m calling to find out what happened in court and when your next court date will be.” By utilizing this type of approach and wording your statement in this specific fashion, you will be providing the client with an opportunity to either:
    be absolutely honest with you regarding the facts of the matter, accept personal responsibility for having made a mistake and convey the willingness to personally rectify it or
    attempt to deceive you regarding the matter
because you will be providing the client with the perceived notion that you are uninformed about these same facts; which is a type of approach that is commonly known as being subterfuge because it is specifically engineered to elicit the facts regarding the client’s true intent. Whenever a client fails to voluntarily:
    inform you that the court date was missed
    accept personal responsibility for having made a mistake, or
    convey the willingness to personally rectify it
then you will have a better understanding of the facts regarding the matter, which will also serve to aid you in selecting the best approaches in regards to curing a forfeiture.

Los Angeles, California
(323) 786-FIND

Post Posted: Tue 15 Sep 2015 14:29 
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 0
Experience: 5 - 7 years
Been a long time since I said much here but if you are looking for educations I would talk to Stan Walters his website is the lieguy... I have trained with Stan and he is good at what he dose. Goddluck

Cell 443-379-9463
To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Post Posted: Tue 15 Sep 2015 19:23 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Thank you for the information Christopher!

Los Angeles, California
(323) 786-FIND

FRN Forums » PUBLIC SECTION » Open Discussion