Governor's Warrant • PUBLIC SECTION • Open Discussion • Fugitive Recovery Network (FRN) Forums
FRN Banner
wordpress-ad

Post subject: Governor's Warrant
 Post Posted: Tue 12 Apr 2011 20:16 

Hey, I was wondering if anyone has ever had to get or is familiar with a "Governors Warrant." I first heard about them from the owner of the company I was a bail bondsman at in Michigan. From what I know a "Governors Warrant" is just what it says! It is a warrant written by the Governor to extradite a fugitive from where ever they are back to their home state. There is a law in Michigan that makes it illegal to skip bail. So if a bail skipper wandered off to somewhere like Kentucky the owner would get a Governors warrant for that person and ask to be appointed as the person to do the arrest.

Post subject: Re: Governor's Warrant
 Post Posted: Tue 12 Apr 2011 21:09 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 340
Experience: More than 10 years
A Governor's Warrant is issued when the person is in the custody of an entity and has refused to sign a waiver of extradition.

You have been doing this work for how long and you have what kind of background ?

You do realize where you are posting, correct ?

Do not consider anything for your interest which makes you break your word, quit your modesty, or inclines you to any practice which will not bear the light, or look the world in the face .... Marcus Antonius

I AM Some Folks "KARMA" and A MODERATOR @ FRN

Post Posted: Tue 12 Apr 2011 21:59 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 2570
Things that make you go HUH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Retired Private Investigator & Bail Enforcement
NAM VET 1969- 1975 US Army (RECON)
Office 260-220-3877
1-888-631-5520
Fax 260-456-6062

Post Posted: Tue 12 Apr 2011 22:11 

The company I worked for people signed a waiver of extradition as part of their agreement for getting bonded out. However, just because they signed that waiver does not mean that a BEA can legally enter a state like Kentucky can perform an apprehension right?

For example, if a Governors warrant was obtained and a person (BEA or not doesn't matter) was appointed as the authorized person to arrest a wanted fugitive (charged with skipping bail) then he/she could legally perform an arrest on the fugitive. It would be a legal arrest because the person isn't performing the arrest as a BEA but as a person authorized by the Governor of the home state.

I know what the Governors warrant is as far as definition but have you ever needed to get one? If so what was your process?

Post Posted: Tue 12 Apr 2011 22:32 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 340
You are not listening. A Governors Warrant is ONLY issued when a person is ALREADY in custody. It has NOTHING to do with what or what not a Bail Bond Company wants.

You are asking about a UFAP (Unlawful Flight to Avoid Prosecution) . . . two different animals.

Do not consider anything for your interest which makes you break your word, quit your modesty, or inclines you to any practice which will not bear the light, or look the world in the face .... Marcus Antonius

I AM Some Folks "KARMA" and A MODERATOR @ FRN

Post Posted: Tue 12 Apr 2011 22:48 

I do understand this is a forum of experienced investigators that is why I am asking because I do not know. I have never done one of these. This is just something the owner of the company told me about before and I am unfamiliar with it. I have looked online and I wrote some agency (I think the Governors office) about it to get information but it didn't help much.

Post Posted: Tue 12 Apr 2011 23:47 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 2087
Definitions

Governor's Warrant: Refers to a warrant issued by the Governor's office and used to extradite a wanted suspect from another state, where they are being held under arrest, in order to be returned to the warrant-issuing state to face trial for a criminal act.

A state's attorney general requests that a warrant be issued from the governor for the extradition of a fugitive from the law in another state. Governor's warrants may be issued for inmates in another state's prison system.

THE POINT BEING MADE HERE IS YOU CAN NOT GET ONE SINCE YOU ARE NOT AN ATTORNEY GENERAL OR A GOVERNOR, NOR CAN YOU REQUEST ONE.

It does not apply to Bail or Fugitive Recovery.

J.G. Marshall
MARSHALL FUGITIVE SERVICE
Lic. # 2008-392

Its the Irish in my mind that keeps me sane,
and the Irish in my heart that keeps me strong.

Post Posted: Wed 13 Apr 2011 05:46 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3828

LOL....Image

NABBI Member

"Surprise Sex is the Best Thing to Wake up to, UNLESS, You are in Jail... "

Post Posted: Wed 13 Apr 2011 05:55 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3077
Experience: 5 - 7 years
Also on a side note,I believe kentucky is not to keen on Bail Recovery either.
In some states you will need to get authorization from local magistrate to take a subject into custody or have a local Agent pick them up for you.Kentucky Is just ONE of the states that you can not pick up a "skip" by way of Bail Enforcement.
Bail Enforcement agents are NOT police officers and cannot get the type of warrant that you are refering to.As LuVonda and Marshall have said that warrant is mainly for people that are already in custody and that mayor would like them in THIER costudy.I have personally never dealt with a Governers warrant and in this business I dont think I will ever really need to.
Each state has different laws,some more strict than others.Before any entrance into a state for purposes of recovery be ABSOLUTELY sure you have all your documents and know what the law of that state requires of you to be legally allowed to retrieve your defendant and adhere to those laws.The waiver of extradiction is part of a BAIL contract therefore if that person is in a non bail state than a Bail enforcement agent cannot enter to get them.There are other means of doing this legally but take a little more of a process.Be it by Local law enforcement or an active warrant in that state etc..Again,different states,different ways of doing things.

Cell:(931)551-5020

Post Posted: Wed 13 Apr 2011 08:49 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 1474
Jayc4929 wrote:
Also on a side note,I believe Kentucky is not to keen on Bail Recovery either.<<>>Kentucky Is just ONE of the states that you can not pick up a "skip" by way of Bail Enforcement.Bail Enforcement agents are NOT police officers and cannot get the type of warrant that you are referring to.Each state has different laws,some more strict than others.Before any entrance into a state for purposes of recovery be ABSOLUTELY sure you have all your documents and know what the law of that state requires of you to be legally allowed to retrieve your defendant and adhere to those laws.The waiver of extradition is part of a BAIL contract therefore if that person is in a non bail state than a Bail enforcement agent cannot enter to get them.There are other means of doing this legally but take a little more of a process.Be it by Local law enforcement or an active warrant in that state etc..Again,different states,different ways of doing things.

I was at one of our jails doing a bond several weeks ago and another bondsman (remain un-named) was writing a bond and had another person with 'her' who identified himself as a bondsman and BEA both... during our conversation he mentioned that he had just gotten back from Kentucky, where he had 'picked up' a fugitive... "from a local jail!!!" and brought him back to Virginia?:?!!

I questioned him on this and he said... the fugitive was charged with a felony and as such he was able to bring him back... he said if it had been a misdemeanor... he would not have been allowed to remove him from the state.

I have no idea if this is credible but this guy was telling me all this... I just listened and after questioning him about the laws of Kentucky... he continued to tell me that he had no problems with LE or the local magistrate in removing the fugitive from the state.

Any comments on this would be welcome. I am only providing this info and cannot verify the facts, only present them. I can also provide this BEA's name and company if anyone in our private section would PM me... I won't post it here. I do know that he is licensed with Virginia DCJS as a bondsman and I think as BEA also, but BEA qualification has not been verified.

DCJS: 99-176979
Cell: 434-294-0222

"Endeavor to Persevere" "Lone Watie"

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that , comes from bad judgment" "Will Rogers"

FRN Forums » PUBLIC SECTION » Open Discussion