This is one good reason why NABBI is needed • PUBLIC SECTION • Open Discussion • NABBI Info • Fugitive Recovery Network (FRN) Forums
FRN Banner
wordpress-ad

Post subject: This is one good reason why NABBI is needed
 Post Posted: Mon 03 Jun 2013 20:48 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 1474
Experience: More than 10 years
Writing a bond in a local jail, here in south central Virginia today... came across this card... look at it closely...

I have marked out the phone and name.... only the first name was shown on the card.

Now here's the deal...

In Virginia, based on DCJS regulations... you:

1. Cannot have anything that suggests that you are connected to LE or a state agency other than bonding or recovery

*Note the badge with the label.... "Special Police"

2. Must have your DCJS number on the card... not there.
3. Cannot alter the premium, 10% is the fee... not negotiable... rebating or reducing the bond premium is against the law... period.

*Note the "Price Negotiable"

I actually called this guy, identified myself as a licensed bondsman and PI in Virginia and asked simply, what was negotiable about the bond premium...

He told me "I will get a person out of jail with no money and let them pay me later"

I then ask what "Special Police" referred to and he told me...

"I am a police officer!"... I ask him a second time and he stood fast on that statement.

I told him that was not possible for him to be a police officer and a bondsman and he got rather irate, cussed me out and hung up...

I then called DCJS and told them of my phone call and the card.... they told me to send them what I had and they would investigate.... I intend on doing just that and will follow up on this.

If we, as licensed and legally compliant bondsmen and recovery agents in not only Virginia but across the nation... do not stand up to these wannabees and illegal types, nothing will improve and we will have no one to blame but ourselves.

NABBI is simply an organization that is formed to provide a professional association of our members that are held to a high standard of ethics as addressed in our bylaws and although we certainly have no legal manner of addressing these unethical activities, we have to stand up when we see things like this and try and bring these people to the attention of regulatory agencies that hopefully can get them out of the business.

It infuriates me to see this... I strive to be proper and professional in my dealings with everyone involved in this business and if we can't work to improve our own image and do away with those that have no scruples.... then we might as well find another occupation because we don't deserve to stay in this one.

NABBI IS A WORTHWHILE ASSOCIATION... JOIN IT NOW, WE NEED EACH OTHER... get over your petti differences... you cannot change that which needs changing by sitting on the sidelines, get involved and try to enact positive change.

check out... http://www.nabbi.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

DCJS: 99-176979
Cell: 434-294-0222

"Endeavor to Persevere" "Lone Watie"

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that , comes from bad judgment" "Will Rogers"

Post subject: Re: This is one good reason why NABBI is needed
 Post Posted: Tue 04 Jun 2013 07:07 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3671
Experience: 3 - 5 years
And NABBI needs bondsmen like you, Mr. Marx! (Good thing we've got you!)

Ca. Bail Agent Lic#1845795
Owner/Operator, Thomas Duprey Bail Bonds
Owner/Operator, Orange County Bounty
(714) 727-4689

Post Posted: Tue 04 Jun 2013 07:53 
in memoriam

Checked later on the DCJS website... there is no one with the first name that was on the card (which I will not mention).... listed as a licensed Virginia bail bondsman... I think this guy is a crook... I am gonna go after him big time... it has to be done... no one seems to be interested in taking these matters in hand... well, I may be old and not as connected as many but I damn sure am gonna stand up for what I think is right... and unless I am missing something here.... this guy is a fraud.

I do believe NABBI at least gives those of us that want to do this job right... an association that we can be proud to be a member of... please people, forget your differences and get involved with something that matters.

http://www.nabbi.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

We all have a living to make but just remember.... "there is a bigger picture than just you"

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that , comes from bad judgment" "Will Rogers"

Post Posted: Tue 04 Jun 2013 08:53 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 1988
Did you check to see if he is also a Special Conservator of The Peace (Police ) in Virginia insofar as SCOP’s can use the title Police Officer and they can also work as Bondsmen or BEA as long as not appointed by a government agency.

Tel: 1-800-387-0787

Anti-Moral Majority Club President
"Fear not the unknown, Fear the person who controls the unknown" Gene 7:14

Post Posted: Tue 04 Jun 2013 09:38 
in memoriam

Gene, there is a listing for a SCOP with his first name, in the general area that he identified himself in (he told me he was in Portsmouth and the listing for the name I found is in Newport News) ... but assuming this is him... he does not show having a bonding license in Virginia... 'Price Negotiable' is still advertising in a manner that is unethical and I don't think he can put that badge and title on his card... he also doesn't list his DCJS number.... I still think he is a 'snake in the grass' and needs to be called on the carpet, additionally based on my conversation with him.

There is no licensed bondsman with his first name listed in the area he told me he worked. His card lists his first name only and as mentioned, he would not give me his last name.

Post Posted: Tue 04 Jun 2013 12:34 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 455
Bill, since our phone conversation, I have given this some thought. He may be a bond broker, they are prevalent in MD and just as illegal. Usually they are someone with ties to the industry and they are bail smart, and they try to sell bonds to bondsmen for a fee. To this person's card, fee negotiable may meen he will entertain a payment agreement and not a discount. Either way, he is on the fringe.

Scott

"Leaders are like Eagles, you never see them in a flock, but one at a time"

Chesapeake Group Investigations, Inc.
Chesapeake Bail Bonds
877-574-0500
301-392-1100 (fax)
301-392-1900 (Office)

Post Posted: Tue 04 Jun 2013 13:14 
in memoriam

I have decided to just forget this effort.... nothing will be accomplished... DCJS has no teeth and these guys have operated on the 'fringe' for years... I have seen these types over and over and nothing is ever done... I think I am spending a lot of time and energy on a lost cause...

I have given a lot of thought to my efforts in the direction I try to go with all this 'professional effort' (for lack of a better term).

I am getting a lot of .... 'negative input', for lack of better term.... and I have just about been convinced that at my age... I need to just settle in and be the little country bondsman and let the chips fall where they may... I really don't think I can make a difference in the overall scheme of things...

I'm a bit tired of the fray, as they say.

... so... having said all that.... I'll just let this guy do whatever... and worry about other stuff that is probably equally as unimportant.

I preach my line on here and other sites and about the only input or feedback I get is a laugh when I tell a joke... so I think I will stick to that and let others handle the more serious roles in this business.

Wow... no, I am not having a bad day.. just been thinking about a few things.... just a bit frustrated... and I happen to know that there are several other serious members on this forum that probably feel the same way.... "when all is said and done.... it probably is not worth the effort...."

What's the old saying.... "you can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear".... most of these types will remain just that.... far be it for me to try and change the world... or even a small corner of it.

Post Posted: Tue 04 Jun 2013 13:39 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 1988
I do not think you are wrong in your efforts to correct a situation that appears outside the DCJS rules and regulations. My only suggestion was to check and see if in fact he had police powers. If he does not have Bondsman License or a BEA license and is only working off his police powers he is wrong all day.

The other issue is trying to get DCJS to do anything useful. With the cut backs they have lost several staff positions , they have merged the private security, bail industry, law enforcement staffs. So you can imagine how much work is really getting done. Now they did add a second investigator to the Northern Virginia area part-time. All I call say is kept during what you do, at some point DCJS will get right.

Tel: 1-800-387-0787

Anti-Moral Majority Club President
"Fear not the unknown, Fear the person who controls the unknown" Gene 7:14

Post Posted: Tue 04 Jun 2013 16:16 
in memoriam

Oh I know Gene... it just gets a bit frustrating when after years of trying to comply you see others that continue to operate in maybe not totally illegal but certainly unethical ways and apparently, no one cares... or so it seems.

Post Posted: Tue 04 Jun 2013 18:19 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3902
Bill,

I wasn't going to get into this one because all I know and want to know about Virginia Bail Laws is, in NC, we have one doing time for making an apprehension in Va, one who's case is on appeal for making an apprehension there and one that almost was charged with kidnapping for making an apprehension in Va, and I ain't goin to Va to apprehend anybody!! Having said that, Re-read your posts and ask yourself if you truly want to let this one go.

With my limited knowledge on Va bail laws, based on your posts I think this guy is exactly what you said from the get go...a fraud or at the very least the man is not compliant with VA Bail laws.

You have no control over what the DCJS does with the information but you can do what you feel is right, and then "let the chips fall where they may."

And for that old country bondsmam thing.....You're a bondsman, a Licensed PI and I know you do recoveries when the need arises, who on this forum is more qualified than you?...I'll give you the credit you deserve, whether you like it or not 8) Not blowin smoke as you sometimes say. I mean it!! Love ya Brother!!

Asheville NC 28804
828-777-8667
Lic # NC10013561
Lic # TN 2033018

Never be haughty to the humble
or humble to the haughty - Jefferson Davis

FRN Forums » PUBLIC SECTION » Open Discussion » NABBI Info