Do I need a Taser? • PUBLIC SECTION • Open Discussion • Fugitive Recovery Network (FRN) Forums
FRN Banner
wordpress-ad

Post subject: Do I need a Taser?
 Post Posted: Sun 17 Jun 2012 17:41 
Posting Newbie
Posting Newbie

FRN Agency ID #: 0
Experience: None
I am looking to purchase equipment to start my FRA business but was wondering if I really need a taser? Right now I have 2 pairs of handcuffs, a gun, double magazines a flashlight and concealable level IIIA body armor, anything else I need?

Thanks ahead of time for the advice!

Post subject: Re: Do I need a Taser?
 Post Posted: Sun 17 Jun 2012 21:38 
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Experience: None
In my opinion It's a good 2nd choice instead of going hand to hand then to your gun. Just make sure you get proper training because if something happens you will scrutinized on your training.

954-298-5579

Post Posted: Mon 18 Jun 2012 07:08 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 1988
Experience: More than 10 years
I would suggest that you check your state law first as it relates to bail enforcement personnel carrying a taser. If your state law allows you to carry a taser, I would recommend that you secure the correct training from a factory certified instructor. Contact Taser International they should be able to provide you with the names of instructors in your area.

Tel: 1-800-387-0787

Anti-Moral Majority Club President
"Fear not the unknown, Fear the person who controls the unknown" Gene 7:14

Post Posted: Mon 18 Jun 2012 07:12 
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Experience: 3 - 5 years
Weather you need one or not, is a decision best left to you and your area of operation. First thing obviously is to make sure it is legal in you state/jurisdiction. Beyond that, I would highly recommend one of the law enforcement models over its civillian counter part. And as previously stated get good training from a reputable source. Make sure the training is conducted by a TASER authorized trainer and includes a TASER certification. User certifications are good for 12 months. Be sure you keep it up to date.

Beyond that there is some basic equipment we recommend our agents have available, but much of that equipment may or may not be needed at all times.

State Approved Courses for POST and DIFP
Located in Central/Southwest Missouri/St. Louis/Kansas City

Post Posted: Mon 18 Jun 2012 07:55 
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Experience: < 1 year
Need one? No...
Can they be helpful? Yes...but only if used properly, and not taken from you...
You gotta see if its an expense that's ok for you just starting, or if you want to wait and see how things go. If you decide to wait and oc spray is allowed in your area, then I recommend fox labs spray. The 1lb units spray real nice, but are overkill for anything not involving crowd control. I like the 4oz flip top.

I do ccw/cpl classes, and love to train. I would appreciate the opportunity to get some experience in his field, so if anyone can use any free help, I'm used to working in high risk and high liability situations.

Post Posted: Mon 18 Jun 2012 09:52 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 5
DSI's advice is dead on. Also, the advice of scrutinization is also dead on. Remember.....liability, liability, liability. Any 1 of us can be sued at any time along with our client, for anything, by anyone. The formula or standard that the suing attorney most likely will use is the local leo use of force/continuum policies in place for local jurisdictions. That attorney will then raise questions regarding your level of training (or lack thereof), and then your trainer's certifications. All will come into play.

Guns: Realistically, how many times do professional BEA's actually draw their weapons ? From a technical and legal standpoint, you CANNOT use a gun as a compliance tool. But, you can use ltl devices to compel your defendant/fugitive to cooperate.

Furthermore, fugitives know the laws better than we do in most cases. They know you cannot and will not shoot them for simply resisting re-apprehension. By the same token though, they do know that we can and will taser them if they fail to follow our "verbals"...verbal commands.

Additionally, you may also have collateral liability issues during a re-apprehension. There may be innocent 3rd parties present at the re-apprehension location. You introduce a firearm, now you could be facing criminal charges from brandishing a firearm to felony aggravated assault.

So to answer your original question "do you need a taser ?" In my opinion, yes.

Regarding your 2nd question: What else do you need ? Education, training, a good criminal defense attorney on retainer, commercial liability insurance, cameras: 1 in your vehicle, 1 for your person-a body cam. Just fyi, Taser does make a model that includes a built in camera.

You need to consult with your attorney regarding the statute of limitations in your jurisdiction for lawsuits. In my area, it's 2 years. So you should remove the chip from the camera or transfer the data onto a disc, zip drive, whatever, place it in your case file, then store it for the limitations timeline. Once the timeline has expired, then you can re-use, recycle, or destroy the data.

Always remember: CYA; When you get into trouble, you stand alone. Suddenly nobody knows you. So don't think for a minute that a bondsperson has your back....because they don't.

Post Posted: Mon 18 Jun 2012 10:02 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 5
Restraints: 2 sets of handcuffs ? I'm assuming standard, nickel ones ? What about oversized cuffs for people with large wrists ? What about leg shackles for extended extradition trips ? Belly chains ? Do you use chain or hinged ? etc. etc. etc.

I could make a whole class on the topic of restraints, their proper usage, types/styles, etc. So could most of the other old timers on here.

I strongly advise you to study the UCEA for your state and your state laws regarding citizens arrest powers, trespassing laws, stalking laws, etc.

Post Posted: Mon 18 Jun 2012 10:28 
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Experience: < 1 year
Oversized restraints are an excellent thing to have. Learned that in my PPCT class...my trainer was a freakin gorilla and gettin the asp cuffs on him was a fight...

I do ccw/cpl classes, and love to train. I would appreciate the opportunity to get some experience in his field, so if anyone can use any free help, I'm used to working in high risk and high liability situations.

Post Posted: Tue 19 Jun 2012 12:45 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Experience: 7 - 10 years
you could contact my wife on cuffs, restraints and ................................... Oh sorry wrong fourm. :oops: :oops: :oops:

360 237 1721 efax
408 402 2710 work cell
DOI Bail Agent Lic 1844214
BSIS G1533544

Go hug a Tree

Post Posted: Sun 24 Jun 2012 00:32 
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Experience: < 3 years
eliterecovery wrote:
I am looking to purchase equipment to start my FRA business but was wondering if I really need a taser? Right now I have 2 pairs of handcuffs, a gun, double magazines a flashlight and concealable level IIIA body armor, anything else I need?

Thanks ahead of time for the advice!

Mace, ASP, and cuffs has worked for me. Maglite also if working at night, if I have a maglite with, I usually leave the asp in the trunk.

I don't carry a gun because on recovery cases because of liability. (You will find that some insurance companies prefer that their contractors not carry firearms.) My carry piece is a 9mm S&W Sigma, with which I am very proficient, but entering private property without permission carrying a firearm, can lead to a cluster of problems.

Haven't carried a taser yet, because... I don't have one yet.
BUT just the sight of the taser can cause a defendant to become completely compliant. Not every time, but a lot of the time.
I do have a stun gun, but that is more of a tool to use when trying to gain compliance from a defendant while in the process of placing the restraints on them.

Personally, I like OC/CS units, and I like them a lot. You will find yourself in more situations that warrant the use of mace, than situations that warrant the use of a firearm. Doesn't hurt to have a decon kit if you're carrying OC.

FRN Forums » PUBLIC SECTION » Open Discussion