This is one good reason why NABBI is needed • PUBLIC SECTION • Open Discussion • NABBI Info • Fugitive Recovery Network (FRN) Forums
FRN Banner
wordpress-ad

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post subject: Re: This is one good reason why NABBI is needed
 Post Posted: Tue 04 Jun 2013 18:57 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 455
Experience: More than 10 years
I agree with Mr. Williams. Follow through Mr. Marx.

I am, however, fully convinced that the anti bail powers that be hope we all take each other out and will notourn when we dry up and blow away. Helping us to clean up this industry vicariously helps to keep our profession healthy, and that is not either their desire or their actions.

Scitt

"Leaders are like Eagles, you never see them in a flock, but one at a time"

Chesapeake Group Investigations, Inc.
Chesapeake Bail Bonds
877-574-0500
301-392-1100 (fax)
301-392-1900 (Office)

Post Posted: Tue 04 Jun 2013 20:15 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3902
Some do tend to give the one's that want us gone, the ammo to make it happen...We can be our own worse enemy at times. Some in this business think they are the enforcers of bail laws and quick to condemn our own. Some wear this like a badge of honor.

I know where you're coming from Scott and if it were just anybody making these statements I'd dismiss their thoughts and move on, but Bill Marx, as we all know is a level headed man. He isn't out to harm this business by outing one of our own, thinking it's making him look good. In fact, he tried to talk to the guy privately and got cussed out and hung up on. In this case I think giving the information to DCJS is appropriate. From what I've read i seriously doubt this man is even in this business. Getting rid of what I think is a guy pulling a scam is a good thing in my opinion. Again, I undersatnd completely where your coming from, but in this case i hope Bill follows through....Just my 2 cents in the matter.

Asheville NC 28804
828-777-8667
Lic # NC10013561
Lic # TN 2033018

Never be haughty to the humble
or humble to the haughty - Jefferson Davis

Post Posted: Tue 04 Jun 2013 20:22 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3904
Bill,

I am fighting a big time case out here as my email to you guys stated. It will require a lot of my time that could be spent on what some would think is more important.

How ever, I feel that we must shine the light on the roaches in this business and stamp them out, before we can truly be respected as a professional part of the CJS.

PS, I haven't forgotten your request. I will get to it tomorrow.

Post Posted: Wed 05 Jun 2013 05:48 
Posting Newbie
Posting Newbie

FRN Agency ID #: 0
Experience: < 3 years
Hi guys. New to the industry, but wanted to share.

I just wanted to say that the original title of this thread had to do with NABBI, which caught my eye. My experience in the licensing process thus far (training with Kevin Nichols at the Bail Enforcement Academy, who said BEA's are competitive and tend to be cutthroat biz-wise with each other and that it is not uncommon for bondsman to try and rip you off as a new BEA), and having access to a bonds biz atmosphere where the bonds writers have to deal with mostly uneducated druggies and screwed up families most of the time, leads me to believe that there is sort of a natural "darkness" built into this industry.

If you deal with "defendants" it seems you usually deal with unfortunates to put it nicely and a lot of bad apples. As a bondsman you make money off of these often 'unprivileged' people, which other people and some politicians don't like; despite the fact a bondsman can do good for somebody who made a bad decision, give them a chance to stay out of jail and get their lives together; go to rehab, get some help, etc. There are, at least around here in SW Washington State, no cookie-cutter, tidy, corporate-like, culturally highbrow, "Starbucks" Bail Bonds places. My perspective thus far is that there seems to be a fringe perception of the bail bonds industry because, plain and simple, it deals with the fringe of society.

My initial impression and perception of NABBI is that it can be a sort of beacon of professionalism in the midst of this inherently murky industry. I couldn't find any other organizations that seemed legit for BEAs. I visited the website and have read the bylaws, and have read many posts from people on here associated with NABBI. If I had the money (initial equipment and divorce took it for now) and luxury to forgo upcoming obligations with regard to being available for field work/training right now, I would go to Long Beach CA for the next conference. I would LOVE to learn all I could; I like the "old school" yet innovative vibe I get from NABBI. I appreciate Mr. Marx's sense of honor and integrity for this industry and while I think this business will always be, or at least be perceived as, shady in certain ways, I like the idea that there are people in it who want to make a difference REGARDLESS.

Post Posted: Wed 05 Jun 2013 08:49 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 1474
metaphyde, I found your post quite interesting... I must say, your name is different... as an old student of biology... the only reference I could fine to metaphyde... was metaphase or metaphysics... which has to do with the Mitosis in cells... or either philosophy; either way.... boy did that take me back!! :mrgreen: 8)

Anyway... I would only offer that you are correct about NABBI... we are trying to pull together a more professional and ethical group of BEA's, bondsmen and PI's and anyone else of like businesses... this industry is as you say... filled with a very diverse and sometimes unethical group and the regulatory agencies ie: government be it federal, state or local... seem not to give a good hoot what really takes place as long as they can protect their agendas and personal interests and that is basically why it is so damn frustrating to those of us that would try to be legal and compliant in our industry.

Frankly, most BEA's are not making a living doing this work.... regardless of what you may hear... oh, some are bumping along but I dare say you will not find 5% that do not have another income producing job. Bondsman are also suffering to an extent in today's politically charged 'negative' environment. This is not to say you cannot make it in this business, only that it is a stretch... I am doing ok, but I am a retired UPS truck driver with almost 30 years OTR and a background in business, having owned and operated a small rural business as well as being a bondsman and a PI.... so if I don't write a single bond... I will not starve.... that is why I have the time to devote to this endeavor... and write all this 'stuff' in these different forums....

If you get a chance, come on down to Long Beach... it should prove rather interesting... and if I can manage to get there and give my little talk on "Old School Bonding"... I will tell you a few stories.... some of which are actually true..... :shock:

BTW... Scott and Bill W.... thanks ... I think we three have mutual respect.

I will follow through and take this to the appropriate contacts that I have inside DCJS.... (for what that is worth)... we shall see.. and I will try to post the results... again, without names.

DCJS: 99-176979
Cell: 434-294-0222

"Endeavor to Persevere" "Lone Watie"

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that , comes from bad judgment" "Will Rogers"

Post Posted: Wed 05 Jun 2013 09:26 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 4013
You know, it wouldn't hurt for folks to put a link to the N.A.B.B.I. website on their company website. It will help get the word out there about the association and it will also improve the association's search engine rankings. Just a little food for thought...

Los Angeles, California
(323) 786-FIND

"Approach is Everything."

Post Posted: Wed 05 Jun 2013 19:13 
Posting Newbie
Posting Newbie

FRN Agency ID #: 0
Experience: < 3 years
Mr. Marx. Bill okay? Thanks for the reply to my post. Yeah, I have no illusions as to the % of fulltime BEA's, and starting out I plan on eventually - after exhausting BEA gig options in Western Washington State- supplementing income with process service, which I had some fun experiences with as a PI working out of a huge legal support firm in Seattle some time ago trying to serve 'avoiders' (though I mostly did their cold case skip tracing). There is one or two fulltimers here in Cowlitz County as far as I know, I think a few more in outlying counties.

As far as my handle "Metaphyde". I laughed when you wrote about your interest in it. Cool you were a biology guy!...I was working on a History of Science Masters Degree before divorce stuff landed me back into the PI/BailEnforcement/ProcessService genre of sustenance (probably for the better, I would have been a lousy professor). The "meta" does refer to metaphysics, as in the Western Philosophical tradition (Aristotle, Plato, St. Augustine, Descartes, Locke, Hume, Wittgenstein, Hegel, Heidegger, etc.), my BA degree was in philosophy...The story behind the term: I tried to invent a new verb that would describe doing and thinking in terms of logic and metaphysics (Western not New Age)...So I came up with "to metaphy" pronounced "meta - fie", "Metaphyde" being a sort of past-tense description of someone who is into Western Metaphysics and thinks in terms of logical argumentation and existentialism with regard to the classical metaphysical questions "What Is?" or "Why Are We Here?" etc...one who 'metaphIzes", I guess then, sees the world philosophically and likely just plain asks to many deep questions that can never be answered...if you do this YOU ARE COMPLETELY METAPHYDE. Kind of get it? Anyway...this was a strange post. But fun to address your intrigue regarding my handle Mr. Marx (Any relation to Karl?). Thanks again for sharing you experiences. --- JJ

Post Posted: Wed 05 Jun 2013 20:18 
in memoriam

Well, Met.... shortened you up a bit...

You obviously are way above my pay-grade as to education and obvious intelligence.... I know a few big words... like mayonnaise and others.... however...

Just an old trucker who enjoys light conversation as in this forum and a few others... if it weren't for spellchecker... I would be shown up rather quickly.

Professor huh?? Well, I am but a lowly trucker who happens to have started and operated a couple of small businesses.... and now an old bondsman, PI and ofttimes ... preacher of the BS community.

My father however, signed his name as M.B. Marx, DVM, MPH, PhD... who taught at University of Kentucky for some 25 years... in the med school... Doctor, Veterinary Medicine- Texas A&M, Masters Public Health- Harvard and Doctor of Epidemiology- UNC, Chapel Hill, NC... often times people look at me and say... "Your father was a doctor, and you are a truck driver"... to which I respond... "Yes, well, I always tried not to hold it against him" 8)

My job on this site is to tell a few stories, get a laugh occasionally and try and steer newbies in the right direction... which if they truly listen to me... will be out of the business in a couple of weeks. Most of the more serious members on here will confide to you that I am just kept around for kicks...

I have fun, however. If you want serious information, there are a number of very connected members who frequent this site often... if you read much on here... you will quickly determine who they are... I will not mention them at this time... as said... you will determine that as you move through the threads.

Welcome to FRN and good luck in your endeavors...

PS... add a signature line to your posts and post an introduction in that section so we know a bit about you.

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that , comes from bad judgment" "Will Rogers"

Post Posted: Wed 05 Jun 2013 20:22 
in memoriam

SURETYRISKMANAGEMENT wrote:
put a link to the N.A.B.B.I. website on their company website. It will help get the word out there about the association and it will also improve the association's search engine rankings. Just a little food for thought...

Jason, that is a very good idea, thanks for mentioning it... hopefully, in the coming months, I can spruce up the website a bit and get a bit more professional look to it... but for now.... it will have to do...

Post Posted: Wed 05 Jun 2013 20:46 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 4013
I'm really impressed with the N.A.B.B.I. website thus far. It's coming along rather nicely and it's looking good.

I recently completed a big project that I started working on a few months ago. I compiled lists of website links to the detention facilities that allow users to run searches for inmates. The lists are divided by State and are in alphabetical order by the name of the city or county. The information that I collected came from multiple sources. If the association would like, I will make these lists available to the association. It would be really cool to see the links listed on the N.A.B.B.I. website, but that's not my decision to make. It would also be a rather valuable resource for the association members; especially when they are conducting "in-custody" checks in regards to "wayward/missing bail clients." I would not expect anything in return; I merely like helping out others. Anyhow, it's yours if you want it.

Los Angeles, California
(323) 786-FIND

"Approach is Everything."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

FRN Forums » PUBLIC SECTION » Open Discussion » NABBI Info