Bernstein in the News AGAIN! • PUBLIC SECTION • Media Coverage • Fugitive Recovery Network (FRN) Forums
FRN Banner
wordpress-ad

Post subject: Bernstein in the News AGAIN!
 Post Posted: Sun 15 May 2005 10:53 
in memoriam

The following article was emailed to me. I believe the newspaper is in New York. Bernstein has been on a few television shows as a bail enforcement agent...

Wesley Hills man charged in road rage
By STEVE LIEBERMAN
slieberm@thejournalnews.com
THE JOURNAL NEWS
(Original publication: May 12, 2005)

A Ramapo private investigator already facing charges related to stopping two drivers on the road has been accused of chasing down another driver.

Scott Bernstein, 47, of 87 Spook Rock Road in Wesley Hills was charged Tuesday with harassment, a violation, during an incident that Ramapo police yesterday labeled as "road rage."

A 43-year-old woman had turned onto Spook Rock Road from Grandview Avenue at 8:35 a.m. Tuesday, police said, when a white 2004 Hyundai sport utility vehicle pulled up behind her back bumper.

With the SUV tailing her vehicle, she turned onto Bruce Court and pulled into a driveway, police said.

Bernstein is accused of blocking her car with his SUV and screaming at her while videotaping her and her car, Detective Sgt. John Lynch said.

"She turned away from him and called 9-1-1." ... She was shaken up and scared. She didn't engage him in any way," Lynch said.

Bernstein was arrested in February on allegations of acting like a police officer, pulling over two drivers in separate incidents and possessing cocaine. He was charged with third-degree criminal mischief, a felony, and second-degree criminal impersonation and seventh-degree criminal possession of a controlled substance, both misdemeanors, and harassment, a violation. He was driving a black Dodge Intrepid equipped with flashing emergency lights and a siren.

He was accused of trying to stop a driver Jan. 30 on Route 202 in Pomona. When the driver followed the Intrepid to a Wesley Hills house, a man identified as Bernstein broke his car antenna and tried to pull the driver from his car, police said.

On Feb. 15, police accused Bernstein of pulling over another car — driven by an off-duty police officer — on Spook Rock Road by activating the Intrepid's emergency lights and siren. When the officer called Ramapo police to check on the driver's claim of being a cop, police said, Bernstein drove off.

Lynch said an order of protection has been issued prohibiting Bernstein from going near the woman in Tuesday's incident.

He is scheduled to appear June 21 in Ramapo Justice Court on all three cases.

In California, Bernstein has been accused of posing as a police officer and flashing a badge to get information related to the disappearance of Laci Peterson, whose husband, Scott, was eventually convicted of murder.

“What is sought is found... what is overlooked escapes” (Oedipus Rex)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun 15 May 2005 11:51 
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

How does this guy manage to regularly impersonate a Police Officer and still keep walking the streets, and apparently endangering or at least threatening and mistreating others in the process?

No wonder everyone thinks that anyone who is (or is intersted in becoming a) BE professional is a cowboy LEO wannabe.
This guy during his mentioned escapades wasn't acting as a BE Agent just an askwhole. Unfortunately as LAW mentioned this guy is known to have publicly represented BE professionals in the past.

It is very apparent to me that while there are many members of this forum that are full of good information and willing to share it with newer members interested in starting out in this business, the industry (as it relates to BE Professionals- not your run of the mill bounty hunter type) is a pretty tight circle and difficult to get a break in. It is much to easy for someone associated with you or your company to ruin a good solid reputation with a few knuckle-head actions.

For those interested in this business (as I am) it has become obvious to me that there isnt room for door kicking swat team antics. This is a business of protecting your clients assests (and arresting your clients clients) which needs to be done professionally.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun 15 May 2005 22:16 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 2570
Experience: More than 10 years
Maybe on June 21st he will get what he has coming to him, not only is anther black eye for BE but also the PI business if he is still licensed as a PI. It just amazes me how many nut cases are around.

Retired Private Investigator & Bail Enforcement
NAM VET 1969- 1975 US Army (RECON)
Office 260-220-3877
1-888-631-5520
Fax 260-456-6062

Post subject: Rings A Bell
 Post Posted: Mon 16 May 2005 05:31 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 0
I can't specifically recall, but why does the name 'Bernstein' ring a bell?

I'll have to dwell on that.

On April 5, 1970, four California Highway Patrol Officers pulled over a vehicle occupied times two, and a shootout ensued resulting in the deaths of the officers--God rest their souls; henceforth, the felony car stop has become SOP for agencies all across this great nation of ours and other lessons come from this tragic event as well.

AMW aired a show wherein the reenactment showed a bail agent politely entering a house and telling the bail fugitive that he was under arrest. The bail agent died after allegedly being shot by the bail fugitive.

I just received an E-mail requesting assistance on a local case wherein the bail fugitive took a shot at a pursuing BEA during a foot chase and then got away.

Now, this is the second time in a week that critical management of a case or "SWAT" type tactics has been brought up on the Internet that I'm aware of.

To summarily dismiss the valid need for tactical training or preventative measures during an arrest of a wanted felony bail fugitive is, in my opinion, to discount or otherwise marginalize the potential hazards of this trade.

Pulling over vehicles is not a BE function--period. I'm not condoning that here, but to arbitrarily toss the 'wannabe' label out is something that should be studied.

For example, and I've brought this up before, if one uses certain pieces of safety equipment commonly in use by cops, does this make the user a wannabe? If so, then anyone who uses handcuffs, body armor, long black flashlights, raid jackets or badges would fall under that loose guideline--don't you think?

The measured and lawful use of certain equipment can only happen if someone is mature enough and knowledgeable in his or her state laws with the actual experience in the trade to put it all into lawful action.

If someone has counter-points with regard to tactical training then by all means state your case, and I would be open to a debate so long as each party bases his or her argument on history, rule of law, common sense, logic and is able to stay on point without resulting to personal attacks; indeed, this would be good for the new people tuning in.

Kindest Regards,

Rex

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon 16 May 2005 05:56 
in memoriam

Tactical knowledge and training is necessary... that is undisputed. Those BEA's who are NOT on a case have no need to walk around with tactical outfits or tools of tactical application. We employ tactical methods during cases and are all the safer for it.

We do NOT parade with tactical outfits/equipment during our down time.

We do NOT kick in doors of third parties (unless we personally see our quarry inside).

We do NOT engage in high-speed chases.

We do NOT fail to report our purpose and presence to local law enforcement.

We do NOT have 'special agent' on our ID.

We do NOT display bail enforcement related jackets or hats in our vehicles so they are seen by passers-by.

We do NOT have flashing lights and siren capabilities.

We do NOT have law enforcement type decals on our vehicles.

I could go on and on but to summarize... we do NOT fail to do our homework and we do NOT fail to safeguard all including innocent citizenry. After 21 years in this dysfunctional industry I'm still learning "what to do" but I damn sure know "what NOT to do".

“What is sought is found... what is overlooked escapes” (Oedipus Rex)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon 16 May 2005 09:32 

THANK YOU L.A.W! That’s a note that should be taking down!
How is this guy Bernstein keeping his PI license? Also, is he here living on the east coast? If he is I think I've talked with him about 3 years ago about joining NIBE.

Post subject: Indeed
 Post Posted: Mon 16 May 2005 19:01 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 0
Well said L.A.W..

Again, it takes maturity along with a working knowledge of YOUR local laws to tie everything together to operate within applicable laws of your area of operation.

Bernstein????? I'm still working on that one.

If the news report is even half accurate, I would have to question how it is that the accused is still running around allegedly doing the same thing?

Rex

FRN Forums » PUBLIC SECTION » Media Coverage