VA Bounty Hunter Captures Skip in CA • PUBLIC SECTION • Media Coverage • Fugitive Recovery Network (FRN) Forums
FRN Banner
wordpress-ad

Post subject: Re: VA Bounty Hunter Captures Skip in CA
 Post Posted: Tue 13 Oct 2015 09:02 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 455
Experience: More than 10 years
One must also consider the average bond in the area of operation. It is easy for a Californian to throw their nose up at a small bond, but if your area of operation is predicated on $500 to $2500 bonds, a $15K skip can close your doors.

I have made a living off of old school bondsman who don't want the reputation that somebody can run on them. There is intrinsic value in having a reputation that this bondsman will chase you to the end of the earth for $50. How do you quantify the untold numbers of potential runners that change their minds upon hearing of this?

Scott

"Leaders are like Eagles, you never see them in a flock, but one at a time"

Chesapeake Group Investigations, Inc.
Chesapeake Bail Bonds
877-574-0500
301-392-1100 (fax)
301-392-1900 (Office)

Post Posted: Thu 15 Oct 2015 15:08 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 340
Mdbtyhtr wrote:
One must also consider the average bond in the area of operation. It is easy for a Californian to throw their nose up at a small bond, but if your area of operation is predicated on $500 to $2500 bonds, a $15K skip can close your doors.

I have made a living off of old school bondsman who don't want the reputation that somebody can run on them. There is intrinsic value in having a reputation that this bondsman will chase you to the end of the earth for $50. How do you quantify the untold numbers of potential runners that change their minds upon hearing of this?

Scott

So very right Scott . . . I "hear" that the Bail Schedules are significant in Cali . . . here a Dom Battery is only 1300 $ a paltry sum I am sure . . . but enough to send me on a road trip . . . and 15K . . . Buddy you know I am moving.

Do not consider anything for your interest which makes you break your word, quit your modesty, or inclines you to any practice which will not bear the light, or look the world in the face .... Marcus Antonius

I AM Some Folks "KARMA" and A MODERATOR @ FRN

Post Posted: Thu 15 Oct 2015 21:00 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 4013
From what I gather, the bail schedules in California are the highest in the nation; however, I used to operate in the Silver State where the bail schedules are much lower, so I learned a very long time ago never to turn my nose up at any assignment based solely upon a bail amount because opportunity exists within every challenge...

Los Angeles, California
(323) 786-FIND

"Approach is Everything."

Post Posted: Wed 23 Mar 2016 19:01 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 1474
... I haven't seen any new posts on this thread... I still do not know this RA...

I was curious while reading the story... it mentioned that the local LE was going to extradite the guy... mmmmm... why didn't the BH return with him... if he caught him and I am sure it was under the radar... how come he didn't just return with him... also... no mention was made of the bondsman on this case... what happened with that??? was there a forfeiture? and how did that go when he was returned... some unanswered questions here...

I have a few connections in that part of VA... but so far... haven't been able to confirm info on the BH...

... any updates??

DCJS: 99-176979
Cell: 434-294-0222

"Endeavor to Persevere" "Lone Watie"

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that , comes from bad judgment" "Will Rogers"

Post Posted: Fri 25 Mar 2016 01:16 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

I would say that the criminal justice system opted to extradite the accused to the demanding state, which is a rather common occurrence. It appears to me as though actual custody was transferred to Virginia on 10/02/2015 at 1044.

Los Angeles County Jail
http://app4.lasd.org/iic/ajis_search.cfm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

California Penal Code § 847.5 Fugitive admitted to bail in another state; affidavit; hearing; warrant for arrest; order for return
If a person has been admitted to bail in another state, escapes bail, and is present in this State, the bail bondsman or other person who is bail for such fugitive, may file with a magistrate in the county where the fugitive is present an affidavit stating the name and whereabouts of the fugitive, the offense with which the alleged fugitive was charged or of which he was convicted, the time and place of same, and the particulars in which the fugitive has violated the terms of his bail, and may request the issuance of a warrant for arrest of the fugitive, and the issuance, after hearing, of an order authorizing the affiant to return the fugitive to the jurisdiction from which he escaped bail. The magistrate may require such additional evidence under oath as he deems necessary to decide the issue. If he concludes that there is probable cause for believing that the person alleged to be a fugitive is such, he may issue a warrant for his arrest. The magistrate shall notify the district attorney of such action and shall direct him to investigate the case and determine the facts of the matter. When the fugitive is brought to him pursuant to the warrant, the magistrate shall set a time and place for hearing, and shall advise the fugitive of his right to counsel and to produce evidence at the hearing. He may admit the fugitive to bail pending the hearing. The district attorney shall appear at the hearing. If, after hearing, the magistrate is satisfied from the evidence that the person is a fugitive he may issue an order authorizing affiant to return the fugitive to the jurisdiction from which he escaped bail. A bondsman or other person who is bail for a fugitive admitted to bail in another state who takes the fugitive into custody, except pursuant to an order issued under this section, is guilty of a misdemeanor.

Los Angeles, California
(323) 786-FIND

Post Posted: Sat 02 Apr 2016 07:44 
in memoriam

I told this story long time ago but here is a repeat....

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Several years ago... on a $4000.00 bond... I called a California BEA, who is very well known... on a skip out of Virginia... I was told that the paper mentioned in the code would cost me $250. because he had to travel 100 miles to obtain the paper... and probably take at least a week... I said I would call him back...

... I called several other BEA's who had various procedures that I would have to do in order to get this skip back...

I stayed at it and called another... who said there was no cost in obtaining the paper and he could probably have it in hand in a couple of hours?????????????????????

I questioned his procedure but in the end, I sent him a copy of my info including the bail piece... he returned my call the next day.... we made a deal... he picked the skip up... put him on a plane IN CUFFS... (which everyone says cannot be done)... flew him to Baltimore, MD... which happened to be the closest at the time... got off the plane with him IN HANDCUFFS (which again is said not possible)... met me at my van and we transported him to the jail in Virginia...

During the entire process... this BEA and the skip were questioned by LE in every airport and for whatever reason... apparently his paperwork was in order... he was allowed to proceed.

This story is absolutely fact and I have had this BEA pick up several other skips over the years... frankly, there are things about him that I still question and honestly... he actually pisses me off at times... but I cannot get past the initial action that he did... and for that... and in that light... I do respect for him...

So.... whenever you hear that something cannot be done and that the procedure for carrying out an action is not possible... do not give up...

I have said for many, many years and one of my pet sayings is.. "THE RULE OF THUMB IS... THERE IS NO RULE OF THUMB"

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that , comes from bad judgment" "Will Rogers"

Post Posted: Sat 02 Apr 2016 17:54 
in memoriam

Mdbtyhtr wrote:

As an example... in Virginia...

Since Sept. 30, 2015... I have exonerated 2.3 million... bonds written over the last few years that have finalized.... guess how many bonds that added up to.............................

... just over 1200 cases... that figures out to just over $1900. average per bond....

Some were much less.... some even at the $500 level... I can number the bonds over 20K on two hands, so you figure what the average is in my neck of the woods...

Many of the bonds I write result in a premium of $150.00 (my minimum)... so if the bond is $1500 or less, the premium I charge is $150.... and believe me... there are a lot of them... yep... I'm gettin' rich in rural Virginia............... 8) 8)

I know there are many bondsmen up in the big cities... that are knocking down much more than me... and that is fine... hell... I might write 10 or more bonds a week (on a good week) and they don't add up to maybe 20K... but I'm fine with that.... let the big boys prosper... I would venture to say.... as long as I am breathing (which may not be tomorrow :roll: :shock: ) I will bump along and be very satisfied with my small time business............

Now you know why I do most of my skips............. in house.............

Post Posted: Sat 02 Apr 2016 17:58 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3904
Bill,

There are a couple reasons why this particular BEA may not have had a problem.

1) MOST LEO's don't know about Penal Section 847.5 when it applies to a bail fugitive that is picked up by a BEA. For the most part if the BEA has a warrant in NCIC and paperwork from the out of state surety, they are happy to get the perp out of their jurisdiction.

2) Most perps don't know that they have the RIGHT to request an extradition hearing and therefor just agree to go back.

3) Now if this BEA did it by the book, he got a warrant from a local judge, ( It does not cost anything for the warrant ), picked up the skip, took him back before the judge and the skip AGREED to waive extradition and went with the BEA voluntarily.

Any other way by skipping any of those steps is breaking CA law.

Post Posted: Sat 02 Apr 2016 18:05 
in memoriam

tsuggs wrote:
1) MOST LEO's don't know about Penal Section 847.5 when it applies to a bail fugitive that is picked up by a BEA. For the most part if the BEA has a warrant in NCIC and paperwork from the out of state surety, they are happy to get the perp out of their jurisdiction.
2) Most perps don't know that they have the RIGHT to request an extradition hearing and therefor just agree to go back.
3) Now if this BEA did it by the book, he got a warrant from a local judge, ( It does not cost anything for the warrant ), picked up the skip, took him back before the judge and the skip AGREED to waive extradition and went with the BEA voluntarily.
Any other way by skipping any of those steps is breaking CA law.

Tony, I know exactly what you are saying............. I always look to you for the true skinny in that crazy state you live in................... thanks for the info.

Post Posted: Sun 03 Apr 2016 17:07 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Yup, Tony definitely nailed that one right on the head!

Los Angeles, California
(323) 786-FIND

FRN Forums » PUBLIC SECTION » Media Coverage