Another State Eliminates Bail • PUBLIC SECTION • Open Discussion • Fugitive Recovery Network (FRN) Forums
FRN Banner
wordpress-ad

Post subject: Another State Eliminates Bail
 Post Posted: Sun 07 Jan 2018 18:55 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3904
Experience: More than 10 years
http://juneauempire.com/state/news/2017 ... al-justice

Post subject: Re: Another State Eliminates Bail
 Post Posted: Fri 02 Feb 2018 10:32 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 1474
... as usual........... my 2 cents.......

I posted this on the website that posted the article...

So, this is really about money, not justice and BTW... with the demise of commercial bail and fugitive recovery... who pays for the recovery if the defendant flees or FTA's.... or even if he doesn't flee... who keeps up with them while they are awaiting trial... again, no cost if done under the current bail system... commercial bail is a cost free application that frees the taxpayer from monitoring... or keeping up with the defendants who are released... jail costs the taxpayer of course, but commercial bail has no cost to the taxpayer... at all.... so with this change, that system, is now added to the tax rolls... fairness is a two sided sword... just depends on which side you happen to be on when the blade is swung... sooner or later... as you continue to add more and more entitlements on the back of the taxpaying public... the proverbial bow will break... but of course we won't worry about that... will we???

BTW... how did this work out in Philadelphia???

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
... also added this later............

If the justice is handed out fairly... bail would not be so out of reach for the average person accused of a crime... California bail system is so out of touch with reality that it is actually laughable... compare bail set in say Virginia to California.... take a 1st. offense DUI... Virginia is probalbly around $2500... requiring a fee of 10%, or $250... an amount most people can come up with... California on the same charge is maybe 4 or more times that much sometimes as much as 10 times... putting the fee out of reach for many... that, in my opinion is the real culprit in this scenario... but of course as a bondsman... I am somewhat biased. I had occasion to visit California several years ago and after talking with bondsmen in that state... I was totally flabergasted at the bond amounts being posted.... amazing... !!!

DCJS: 99-176979
Cell: 434-294-0222

"Endeavor to Persevere" "Lone Watie"

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that , comes from bad judgment" "Will Rogers"

Post Posted: Fri 02 Feb 2018 10:49 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

And now the politicians in CA are pushing hard to eliminate commercial bail in favor of more bureaucratic, governmental run system using computer algorithms.

First they push bail amounts way high for all violations and then claim poor people can't afford to pay bail.

Years ago, the bail association actually recommended that bail amounts be REDUCED for certain common crimes. That was ignored by the courts and politicians.

But to be fair, several surety companies were against lowering the bail schedules. They were looking at their own profits.

Well now that have come home to bite us all in the a$$. In a couple years there will be NO commercial bail in California at all. We are all suffering now.

I ran into an agent for a very large statewide company at the main jail yesterday. They are hurting real bad like all of us.

Post Posted: Tue 21 Aug 2018 13:28 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/face ... 720180SB10

On Monday, Aug 20th, the CA State Assembly passed SB10. It if signed by Gov Jerry "Moonbeam" Brown, it will end commercial bail in California on October 1, 2019.

I have been saying this for years that it is not if commercial bail will be eliminated, just a matter of when.

Now there is a small chance that the Senate will either amend or not send it on the governor. I think they will send it on to him and I think he will sign it as a great move to reform the criminal justice system.

If it does get signed into law, you can expect other states to quickly follow, that is those that have not already done so.

You old guys close enough to retire, go fishing or hunting. You youngsters, time to look into a new career. :lol:

Post Posted: Wed 22 Aug 2018 14:30 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 0
Experience: 7 - 10 years
We can only hope Brown uses his head and Vetos. Doubt it but we can hope. If this does go through think of the costs. I smell a new tax hike coming up. Tax money lost from Sureties, Bail Corps and a whole lot of unemployment apps.

360 237 1721 efax
408 402 2710 work cell
DOI Bail Agent Lic 1844214
BSIS G1533544

Go hug a Tree

Post Posted: Fri 24 Aug 2018 14:34 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Brown already said he would sign it.

What the public doesn't know and the legislators do know is, the additional costs of running the courts and sheriff offices will just be hidden in their overall budgets. So it will not show up.

The lost in tax money will be offset by eliminating the cost of licensing bail agents, renewing bail agents and processing the education requirements. So, the DOI will show a lower operating costs when we go away.

Courts will have less paperwork to do. No processing and keeping track of bail bonds, notifying sureties of forfeitures. No bail motions / hearings. No summary judgments to collect.

The jails will not have to process bonds, maintain bail agents lists, handle jail bail interviews. No free phone calls to bail bond offices.

So everyone will say they are saving money by not having to deal with bail bonds anymore.

The cost in missed courts, delayed cases, and picking up skips, will be downed played and just passed off as part of the normal doing business. No big deal.

The public will not know otherwise.

As far as tax money, as in income taxes paid by bail agents and their sureties, most will find other work. Some will retire, like me. And in todays' economy, the lost to California will not even be noticed.

FRN Forums » PUBLIC SECTION » Open Discussion