More about guns • PUBLIC SECTION • Open Discussion • Fugitive Recovery Network (FRN) Forums
FRN Banner
wordpress-ad

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

Post subject: More about guns
 Post Posted: Mon 10 Mar 2014 19:55 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 1474
Experience: More than 10 years
DISCLAIMER: Want to state this up front... this thread and any other threads I post on this site are based on my personal experiences and my opinions only... do not accept anything I say at face value, check it out for yourself. I am not an expert on anything...nada... I am very opinionated and as such I may come on very strong but again... these threads are only my opinions... if you disagree... no problem... just provide me with facts and I will probably agree with you if I can prove what you are saying... read all this stuff with a "grain of salt"... if you like it fine, if you don't, just chalk it up to an old man's ramblings... and that' about all I have to say... about that... 8)

I like talking about guns... also computers, motorcycles, hunting and sometimes women... I know a lot more about guns however... motorcycles a little less, computers a bit less and women... well, I am only 70 and still learning in that venture... however.

What I was wondering... I am sure most of you all are into guns to a degree... I made a post on one of the gun blogs I frequent, concerning the ever changing construction of firearms in general and handguns in particular... in this light...

... I have come to the conclusion, as stated above... that as firearms in general and handguns in particular continue to use different forms of plastics ... we are seeing ever so slight reductions in reliability and service life. The older firearms... like Ruger, Smith, Colt for example were built to withstand Atomic bomb blasts... were solid and pretty much indestructible... I fear not so with the polymers... but here again is an opinion and as known, we all have one, most differing in content.

I like the current production styles.... part steel... mostly the stress parts... barrel, slide, upper if you will and then the lower parts... the carriage, grip... out of different forms of polymers, plastics, etc... they are light, easily concealable and for the most part, quite serviceable... of course, I am not going to take my plastic guns to the range for several thousand rounds... I will practice and try and become increasingly proficient to the degree that I feel I can be fairly accurate if the need arises, but you will not see me putting thousands of rounds through these guns...

I am sure that many former military folks are on here... what do you all think of the trend to change the material in these weapons... I have a Colt M4 that is about 60% polymer... the upper of course is steel but then much of the rest is plastic... and it appears to be strong and resilient but what do I know... the M1 Garand I have in my safe... the M1 Carbine... the 1911 Colt.... the Ruger and Smith revolvers... all steel and Walnut... no plastic there and who can debate their reliability... but I also have many Poly guns in my safe and they all seem to work fine... so who's to say............

Plastic is simply not as durable as steel... that cannot be debated... but as a CC gun... the lighter weight affords reasons to lean in that direction... it is, as they say... a value judgement... I am an old man and my opinions are only that, formed over a long time, but I sometimes am wrong, so jump in and lets hear what you all have to say... that is the way I learn...

DCJS: 99-176979
Cell: 434-294-0222

"Endeavor to Persevere" "Lone Watie"

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that , comes from bad judgment" "Will Rogers"

Post subject: Re: More about guns
 Post Posted: Tue 11 Mar 2014 08:21 
in memoriam

Disclaimer: Your decision to carry or not to carry is a personal value judgement thing and I do not recommend everyone carry... you need to be trained and practice to hone your skills... carrying a firearm will at the very least, raise the level of confrontation and introduces an entirely new set of circumstances that must be seriously considered in your business. Consider your decision very carefully and do not rush out and buy something just because you like the way it looks... take your time and get some good training and advice from those you trust... and be legal, get you permit ...

... and remember this... if you draw a weapon, be prepared to shoot, you may not have to, but you best be ready to... so again, seriously consider your decision here....

so, having said that......................

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I might mention that according to Glock and several other major manufacturers of poly guns... their poly guns are as strong as and as durable as... any steel weapon... and have had many thousands of rounds fired through them... I am not questioning that, only making an observation... I do own a fair number of poly or plastic guns and most shoot quite nice... fact is, they are much easier to carry and the lower calibers... like .380 or 9mm do not have difficult recoil... fairly easy to control... the larger calibers do tend to be a bit heavy on the recoil side... .40's, .45's and certainly the 10mm... (BTW, are you aware that the .40 actually seems to have more 'felt recoil' than the .45?) I personally normally carry an M&P Shield .40, or sometimes just an M&P Bodyguard .380, but those are my preferences... and as always... a matter of opinion and a value judgement... you make the call.

This is the Bodyguard .380 w/lazer

Here are two more poly guns, Ruger LCP .380 w/lazer and Ruger LC9 w/lazer... and a Springfield XD Subcompact .40

Image Image

Any of these can be found at your local gun shop and are not particularly expensive as that goes... usually around $500 or less. The Lazers run them up a bit... I personally think lazers are fine on the small guns... but the larger, just a good set of sights, maybe nite sights like the 'TRIJICON' night sights, which can be purchase on Amazon for a bit less than the gun shops... and you can usually put them on yourself if you are halfway mechanically inclined...

... of course, if you want to spring for more expensive stuff you certainly can... small CC guns are available for up in the thousands if you like.... but poly guns can be had for much less...

Compact Colt .45 'Defender' for around $1100... but this is not a poly gun....

Just trying to give you all some 'food for thought'

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that , comes from bad judgment" "Will Rogers"

Post Posted: Fri 21 Mar 2014 15:33 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 1973
Experience: 3 - 5 years
The defender is a nice gun.
Feels better than my Glock 23 to be honest.
Your right the 40 cal does have more of a snap to them than the 45s
Gotta go shot it more often.
I also have a Ruger GP100

Been thinking about those 380s as well as some rifles.

Dave
Private Investigator
Licensed by the NYS DOS Division of Licensing

Post Posted: Fri 21 Mar 2014 17:48 
in memoriam

Oh yeah Dave... the Ruger SP101 is a very nice wheel gun... fact is... sitting at my computer writing this... there is one beside my left knee right now... I sometime carry it but most often it is the Smith Shield .40... but I have to do more practicing with it... it is light and takes a bit of getting used to for good control... now that little Smith Bodyguard .380 is a great little package that you can very easily slip in you pocket if you are limited on carry as if you aren't wearing a jacket and your shirt is tucked in or you just want something small but still packs a fairly nice pop... some of the big boys seem to put down the smaller .38s like this little .380 but hell... James Bond carried one for years so maybe it is ok.... and frankly, it does put the same size hole as the old 9mm but certainly less penetration.... but I keep repeating the same ole same ole... the only bad carry gun, is of course the one you left at home...

my little SP101 Ruger 'hammerless' with an aftermarket grip... I think those are made by 'Hogue'... it is a .357 but I only had to shoot 3 rounds of .357 and I immediately dumped them and replaced them with 5 .38+P... just a bit less jump... actually, this gun shoots rather well for a single action hammerless.... I was really surprised and these grips make it much easier to handle... and who can argue with the quality of Rugers...

.... one other thing... believe it or not... I do not own a Glock... never have... there certaily nice and reliable but there is just something about them that......... well, as I also often say... guns are sort of like women... some just don't turn you on.... while other do.... matter of opinion.... I will say that I am of the opinion that women, however, are probably a lot more dangerous than guns... and ... a woman with a gun..... "bye, bye now.... I'm outta here"... 8)

Post Posted: Fri 21 Mar 2014 18:14 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Have you checked out the gen 4 models.
They have the removable back straps.
So with all the models and adjustable grips I believe you might like one. I personally have a gen 3 so I can't change the back straps but I put a hogue grip on mine.

I like that sp101. Smaller than the 100. Same grips with hammer though.

Dave
Private Investigator

Post Posted: Fri 21 Mar 2014 20:11 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Attachment:
1.JPG
1.JPG [ 343.44 KiB | Viewed 109661 times ]

One thing I don't understand is why some Defenders have the tail curved up and some curved down.
I assume they were made at different times.

Attachment:
2.JPG
2.JPG [ 315.01 KiB | Viewed 109661 times ]

Then there is the Glock 23...... just unable to go up stairs right now, but Glocks are pretty much the same.
Wife has the S&W M&P 9mm.

Dave
Private Investigator

Post Posted: Sat 22 Mar 2014 09:12 
in memoriam

I think it is just a design difference, nothing more... I have several 1911's... Colts, Springfields, Rugers... each has a slight veriation but still very similar... the basic design was straight out but I think the flip came later...

Image Image Image Image Image

First is an early 1911 that I inherited from a buddy who shot this one at Camp Perry... second is my Ruger SR1911 with the flip up and third is a variation of a defender... fourth is mine... a "night defender", both defenders show the flip sort of down... and then last is an old WWII P38, inherited from the same friend with the 1911, with all matching numbers and other markings that I thought were different... each has a slightly different flip on the grip... all simply designed to keep the web of your hand from rising up and encountering the slide as it cycles... I think if you look at most auto's, they do for the most part have some sort of extension above the web and below the slide, for the same reason... that is my take on it... maybe somebody with more expertise can explain it better...

Post Posted: Sat 22 Mar 2014 09:51 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 1366
Experience: 7 - 10 years
I'm a HK kind of girl..and being a lefty their guns are much more comfy and "user friendly" and they lave an LEM..goes from a double action to a single action in 1 pull of the trigger :)

" Yeah, I see ya, you ding dong..."

Post Posted: Sat 22 Mar 2014 11:40 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

HKs are nice too. On the expensive side though.
A buddy has the one below. Feels/shoots nice.
Probably will get some kind of HK in the future
Attachment:
lg_hk45_3.jpg
lg_hk45_3.jpg [ 26.07 KiB | Viewed 109604 times ]

Have you seen the Colt New Agent with the flush trench style sights.
Almost bought that one. Don't know why I didn't. Maybe I will in the future.
Attachment:
50828.jpg
50828.jpg [ 36.69 KiB | Viewed 109604 times ]

Attachment:
new.agent_006new.agentedited.JPG
new.agent_006new.agentedited.JPG [ 287.7 KiB | Viewed 109603 times ]

Dave
Private Investigator

Post Posted: Fri 28 Mar 2014 20:50 
in memoriam

... you all know I love Beretta's... has anyone seen the ARX 100.... HOLY COW...

I just watched a video of the civilian version of the ARX 160 (select fire version)... the ARX 100 is absolutely beautiful... of course that is MY opinion... you be the judge.... http://www.beretta.com/en-us/arx-100/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
GO TO THE VIDEO AND CLICK ON THE "OVERVIEW".... and then click on the "TEASER"... wow is all I can say....

Soon as I can find that damn coffee can I buried in the backyard... gonna have to get one of these... like I really need it.... but like the little boy said to his momma when she told him.... "Johny, why in the world do you want that!" and his response with tears in his eyes... "But Momma.... I NEED IT!".... :roll: :roll: :shock: :shock:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

FRN Forums » PUBLIC SECTION » Open Discussion