Appearance • PUBLIC SECTION • Open Discussion • Fugitive Recovery Network (FRN) Forums
FRN Banner
wordpress-ad

Post subject: Appearance
 Post Posted: Mon 02 May 2016 08:15 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3902
Experience: More than 10 years
While meeting with approximately 50 bail bondsman yesterday, I've decided to give my take on the way the majority of these people were dressed.

We had a very informal meeting and the vast majority of these folks looked as if they had been partying non stop for a week. Clothes were dirty, shoes looked like hell, some were wearing their shield (shield is supposed to be worn only when conducting bail bond business) some were wearing what looked to be shorts they bought from Goodwill for 50 cents and some should have bought a hair brush or comb.

I can honestly tell you that is was a sight I hope I never see again! If what I saw is indicative of how most in this business dress, no wonder we're looked upon as being worse than some that we bail out!!

For the few that actually know me on here, you know what happened next.

As we all know, that type look and dress is a good thing in some cases, it is sad to see this during a meeting. Even an informal one.

To all the new folks that may read this. Take some pride in how you represent yourself. You're also representing this industry.

I have tried to be loyal to my fellow bondsman, when I hear and read things that feed into the narrative of those that are working hard to eliminate commercial bail, but if this is what's going on across the country no wonder they're trying to shut us down!

My 2 cents!

Asheville NC 28804
828-777-8667
Lic # NC10013561
Lic # TN 2033018

Never be haughty to the humble
or humble to the haughty - Jefferson Davis

Post subject: Re: Appearance
 Post Posted: Mon 02 May 2016 12:25 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3904
Bill,

Unfortunately, you described the typical dress of most bail agents / bondsmen and women across the country. Many times I can't pick out who is the bondsman and who is the defendant just released from jail.

There are a few state wide companies that require their employees to wear dress shirts and ties when posting bonds. Half the time the shirt tails are hanging out and the tie is not done, if worn at all.

On the other hand, I some times see mostly women dress nicely but overloaded with jewelry. Rings on every finger, necklaces, diamond earrings, etc.

Now I have no problem with people dressing like they are successful. But when they claim that we are losing business or will be put out of business, yet they drive luxury cars and are loaded up with bling, it is hard to garner any sympathy from the public.

Post Posted: Tue 03 May 2016 07:36 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 1474
Oh Boy............ !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You have hit on my number one pet peeve in this business....

Several years ago... I gave a little talk to two organizations...

One... the NABBI convention held in Long Beach, CA and Two... the CBAA convention held also in Long Beach, CA....

I think several of you were there... I know Tony was at both...

I never understood why either of these groups would ask and old country bondsman, who has never broke a million in bonds in a year... to get up in front of the largest Bail Bonds state association... California... and give a talk on "Attitude and Appearance"... I mean really??? what the hell could I possibly tell the most sophisticated group of bondmen in the country about how to write bail and how to look professional...

Most of those in attendance were dressed very well... but that was not a particularly informal meeting and most had on business suits, ties and such...

Anyway... I really don't think they were impressed with my tongue in cheek presentation...

As those that know me will attest... I tell tales to try and teach a lesson... most are dotted with little bits of humor... which is of course a matter of opinion...

I got the impression from many of those in those meetings that they looked upon me as just what I am... an old school bondsman from a rural Virginia community... which frankly is all I have ever tried to be.

"Appearance and Attitude" is so damn important that I cannot stress it enough.

I frankly get tired of reading, watching, seeing on Facebook, You-tube and other social media sources... those that tout their pseudo-successes in fugitive recovery or bonding experiences... and put forth a persona that absolutely makes us look like a bunch of redneck clowns... that's right... a bunch of foul talking, uneducated clowns who think this is Dodge City.

Yes, I have been caught having to do a recovery while on vacation and dressed like I was at Disneyland... but I can tell you that on the occasions that I actually have to go to court or the jail or in any other venue where I need to be seen as a professional bondsman... I dress accordingly... I don't like coat and ties but I always have on a decent pair of pants, shirt and try to look and act as professional as possible...

I don't know if we can save this industry... really... there are just so many "yahoos" in this business... it is hard to impress those that we need to .... I just don't know if we can save it...

Bill, you hit the nail on the head....................... there are certainly times that you may want to look like you just fell of a turnip truck but others that you need to dress and act like you are a professional not the ones you are bonding...

I certainly have been caught in a not so professional dress while making a recovery... TACTICAL SANDALS AND ALL...... :shock: :shock:

... but when I need to look professional... I can fool the best of them.... almost... 8) 8)

It's ok to play the fool some of the time... but know when and where... but always be prepared to be the professional you need to be... at any time... cause you never know who is noticing you and forming a lasting impression and opinion...
Nuff said..............

DCJS: 99-176979
Cell: 434-294-0222

"Endeavor to Persevere" "Lone Watie"

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that , comes from bad judgment" "Will Rogers"

Post Posted: Tue 03 May 2016 09:27 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 0
Experience: 7 - 10 years
Suit and tie for court. Love being asked if you are the Bail Company Lawyer. Nope just the lowly Recovery Agent. Button up shirt 5.11 pants and casual leather shoes for 95% of my work days.

360 237 1721 efax
408 402 2710 work cell
DOI Bail Agent Lic 1844214
BSIS G1533544

Go hug a Tree

Post Posted: Sat 07 May 2016 11:27 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

tsuggs wrote:
Bill,

Unfortunately, you described the typical dress of most bail agents / bondsmen and women across the country. Many times I can't pick out who is the bondsman and who is the defendant just released from jail.

There are a few state wide companies that require their employees to wear dress shirts and ties when posting bonds. Half the time the shirt tails are hanging out and the tie is not done, if worn at all.

On the other hand, I some times see mostly women dress nicely but overloaded with jewelry. Rings on every finger, necklaces, diamond earrings, etc.

Now I have no problem with people dressing like they are successful. But when they claim that we are losing business or will be put out of business, yet they drive luxury cars and are loaded up with bling, it is hard to garner any sympathy from the public.

Tony, I've noticed over my life. The shinier the bling, the smaller the mobile home. Also, the more bragging about apprehending skips, the fewer skips actually apprehended. Just my opinion from the years of seeing this stuff.

Asheville NC 28804
828-777-8667
Lic # NC10013561
Lic # TN 2033018

Post Posted: Sat 07 May 2016 19:18 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 0
Experience: 7 - 10 years
Tony needs no bling. He has natural bling written all over him naturally. Me bling free and brag free.

360 237 1721 efax
408 402 2710 work cell
DOI Bail Agent Lic 1844214
BSIS G1533544

Go hug a Tree

Post Posted: Sun 08 May 2016 05:24 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Doc, you haven't seen Tony's you tube video's, wearing gold chains, rings etc. while chasing down bad guys?....... Neither have I.

Hopefully some of the guys and gals will see this post and the responses and will consider their appearance next time they go out.

That was my intent anyways.

Asheville NC 28804
828-777-8667
Lic # NC10013561
Lic # TN 2033018

Post Posted: Sun 08 May 2016 06:59 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Lookin good Bill Marx!

Asheville NC 28804
828-777-8667
Lic # NC10013561
Lic # TN 2033018

Post Posted: Wed 11 May 2016 09:32 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 1474
B Williams wrote:
Lookin good Bill Marx!

... the only bling I have ever had is the twinkle in my eye................ 8)

DCJS: 99-176979
Cell: 434-294-0222

"Endeavor to Persevere" "Lone Watie"

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that , comes from bad judgment" "Will Rogers"

Post Posted: Thu 12 May 2016 19:09 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3904
I thought I took down those YouTube videos, :oops:

On a serious note, the Boss and I had to read the riot act to our son.

The idiot posted on his FB page a picture of him holding a stack of $100 bills. It was the premium he had collected on a bond he wrote under us while we were out of town.

He had his tough, street punk face on and yes a backwards ball cap and fake Rolex.

Of course the FB account had his job title as a bail agent for Castle Bail Bonds.

Well after I got through with him, he could poop cinder blocks as I reamed him a large new one.

He could not understand what was wrong with his "image" and all the other garbage on his FB page.

So the option was, take down that account or go find another job elsewhere.

Now he was 30 at the time, so still kind of young and dumb. But it amazes me how many "youngsters" haven't a clue how their image on social media can come back and bite them in the rear.

Needless to say, from then on, all premium collected comes back straight to the office or immediately put in the bank.

FRN Forums » PUBLIC SECTION » Open Discussion