CA Another Attack on Bail • PUBLIC SECTION • Open Discussion • Fugitive Recovery Network (FRN) Forums
FRN Banner
wordpress-ad

Post subject: Re: CA Another Attack on Bail
 Post Posted: Fri 18 Mar 2016 05:40 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 4006
Experience: More than 10 years
We have received inquiries from law enforcement in MN over the past year concerning fugitive recovery agents in the state. The gist of it is that they feel that some agents are pushing the envelope on what is considered acceptable of private sector agents. Having worked in law enforcement I know first hand the culture i.e. territorial, there are often rivalries between agencies and put FRA's into the mix and it can be an unpleasant thing. The biggest thing that they are upset about is FRA's running around looking like police officers, sworn officers go through a lot of vetting and training to earn that badge and the public trust, it really upsets them when non sworn private actors run around looking like them and they feel that it could lead to a situation where the public could be taken advantage of by mistaking them for police. If the FRA's in MN don't get with the program there will likely be some unfavorable legislation.

Post Posted: Mon 21 Mar 2016 00:56 
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 4150
Experience: < 3 years
Chuck, I'm well aware of these FRA's in this state as the recovery community here is small, (5 active recovery-and a handful of part-timers). Legislation has been passed recently due to the actions of one of these guys. Myself personally, I'm taking steps to get out of the bail industry as a whole. There is way too much unwanted attention and opposition here for myself and people like me who try to play by the "rules".

Bail License #40313820

Post Posted: Mon 21 Mar 2016 15:41 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 340
Quote:
This entire scenario is about money... money,,,, money............

If the courts/judges/magistrates would get real on the amount of bond verses the charge... this entire situation could be resolved in an amiable and proper manner...

.... bottom line is............. in the great state of California... bond amounts are absolutely out of line... through the roof if you will...

When I see (and I have been to CA many times and talked with many bondsmen and others involved in their system)... bonds set at $25K.... 100K... and even in the millions... for offenses that in many other states would be way below those amounts... that is... IMHO... the problem in CA...

AMEN !
The PROBLEM IS CA . . . The Bondsmen need to be approaching the Powers that be and working on the getting the Bail Schedules lowered. EveryONE will still make $$$$ because MORE people will be able to Bond out. Greed has always been the undoing of any venture. Sometimes it just takes a while for it to all fall down. :(

Do not consider anything for your interest which makes you break your word, quit your modesty, or inclines you to any practice which will not bear the light, or look the world in the face .... Marcus Antonius

I AM Some Folks "KARMA" and A MODERATOR @ FRN

Post Posted: Thu 24 Mar 2016 23:17 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3904
Guys,

You are missing the point. It is not a matter of high bail schedules. It is about having to pay ANY bail amount to a private party to get out of jail period!

This is a continuation of the Vera Institute 60 year fight to change the CJS system.

When you have counties in South Dakota talking about it, its not because the bail is real high. They are talking about the fairness of the system.

If we go at this thinking to get bail schedules lowered and believe that will solve the problem, we will lose because they are attacking bail as a equal justice issue.

Post Posted: Fri 25 Mar 2016 01:18 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 4013
Bingo! ...and there you have it folks!

Los Angeles, California
(323) 786-FIND

"Approach is Everything."

Post Posted: Sat 26 Mar 2016 14:35 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3904
http://www.northjersey.com/news/acting- ... -1.1528588

And if you need any more proof, read the entire article from Bergen County, NJ.

About half way down they talk about bail reform. It is the same message repeated through out the country and it is reaching every state.

Post Posted: Mon 25 Apr 2016 19:07 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3902
Chuck. we have had a couple problems with Bail Agents driving vehicles that could be confused with law enforcement. We aren't allowed to wear clothing that might cause people to think we look like law enforcement officers. We are allowed to have a "shield' with the state seal but law enforcement are very territorial. I was once one of those officers many years ago. I have a brother that is a law enforcement officer an uncle and a brother in law who is a retired Marine who is currently a detective. You're are correct that cops don't like anyone but themselves to look the part of a police officer. After all they have worked hard and have gone through a ton of training to become officers.

I agree some bail agents in most. if not all states cross that line and it can cause some major problems .

I just read an article about law enforcement officers in New Jersey not happy with New Jersey Constables having the word police on their uniforms. it seems for the same reason. I've tried to post the link but can't right now.. I'll need assistance from my wife :)

So, it looks as if the Constables have crossed the line as well.

So, bail agents aren't the only ones that have crossed that line. Hopefully the bail agents will realize this is a problem, if not they will have problems indeed.

Asheville NC 28804
828-777-8667
Lic # NC10013561
Lic # TN 2033018

Never be haughty to the humble
or humble to the haughty - Jefferson Davis

Post Posted: Mon 25 Apr 2016 19:20 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2012/0 ... s_are.html

Hopefully this worked.

Asheville NC 28804
828-777-8667
Lic # NC10013561
Lic # TN 2033018

Post Posted: Tue 26 Apr 2016 05:03 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 4006
Constables and Marshals have different levels of authority depending on the state i.e. statutes, for example Texas Constables have full Police powers, Massachusetts and New Jersey Constables are little more than appointed public officials that mostly work doing private process serving. In Pennsylvania where I was a Constable authority is similar to the Sheriff with the exception of authority to enforce the vehicle code. Constables and Sheriff's in PA serve the majority of arrest warrants for the courts but don't investigate crimes. Both are Police Officers by statute but have different training and areas of responsibility than municipal and state police, some duties overlap and some are distinct.

Post Posted: Tue 26 Apr 2016 09:35 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Chuck.

Earlier in this thread you stated that you had gotten inquiries concerning FRA's in MN. My intent was to show that there is friction between law enforcement and Constables as well. I'm aware that constables in PA are actually elected officials with mostly court services duties with very limited arrest powers.

My point was. that not only FRA's have had run in's in these situations but constables, security guards etc. have had the same issue.

There's more than FRA's butting heads with law enforcement. and was just putting this into context. It's sometimes easy to think Bail Agents are the only one's that get out of line. I certainly don't condone this behavior, but Bail Agents aren't the only ones that overstep their authority in the judicial system.

Well, I'm obviously off topic here. so maybe I'll start another subject concerning this later.

Asheville NC 28804
828-777-8667
Lic # NC10013561
Lic # TN 2033018

FRN Forums » PUBLIC SECTION » Open Discussion