More about guns • PUBLIC SECTION • Open Discussion • Fugitive Recovery Network (FRN) Forums
FRN Banner
wordpress-ad

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

Post subject: Re: More about guns
 Post Posted: Mon 12 May 2014 18:13 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 1474
Experience: More than 10 years
Now here's something you won't see every day....

Just what every upstanding bondsman/recovery agent/PI/LE or just any ole southern redneck needs to have in his gun safe.

A DOUBLE BARREL .45 PISTOL

Image Image

I will admit... I had a very hard time pulling the slide back.... it is unbelievable... also has two separate triggers, side by side... and as for the price... well.... I decided to hold on to my 5k for the rest of the afternoon...

Ok guys, I can tell you where to get one real quick... call me... or take a close look at the tag... Greentop in Ashland, Va....

Here's a writeup on it out of Guns and Ammo for those interested....

BE SURE AND CLICK ON THE LINK TO THE WEBPAGE AND ALSO THE VIDEO!!!!!

http://www.gunsandammo.com/2012/03/12/d ... el-pistol/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

DCJS: 99-176979
Cell: 434-294-0222

"Endeavor to Persevere" "Lone Watie"

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that , comes from bad judgment" "Will Rogers"

Post Posted: Tue 13 May 2014 08:55 
in memoriam

I have some advice for those that choose to carry a weapon... any kind of weapon (I am speaking of firearms, generally pistols)...

... as most of my friends know... I like guns... no reason other than they turn me on.. I like to shoot... I am far from good at it but I can still hit a pack of cigarettes at 10 or 12 ft.... but then... what good is that... in the scheme of things.... I offer that I have never been attacked by a pack of cigarettes... so........... that has nothing do with what I am offering here....

I have put "nite sights" on most of my carry pistols... either that or in some cases... lazer sites...

Actually standard nite sights are probalby better overall (my opinion) because lazers work in both directions... they illuminate your target but they also give a direct line to you... so... you make that call.. I have them on two of my pistols.. one is a small S&W Bodyguard .380 and the other is a small Ruger 9mm... they came with the lazers so I left them on...

All other carry weapons I have... for the most part have nite sights installed... the good ones are not cheap... usually around $150 for front and rear but I have found them to be invaluable in low light or dark conditions which may or could be what you are faced with if ever you need them...

Trijicon or Ameriglo or any of a dozen others are good choices... but you might consider installing them on your favorite carry gun...

Here are a couple of links:

https://www.ameriglo.net/sights" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

https://www.trijicon.com/na_en/index.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Example pics....

SW Bodyguard .380 with lazer...

Ruger LC9 with lazer...

and finally,

Picture taken in low light... you can easily see why these sights work very well.... even in daylight conditions... but this was taken in very, very low light... don't let the picture fool ya.

This is my main carry weapon... a Smith Shield .40 with Ameriglo nite sights... I might mention that these sights are sold through "Ameriglo" but they are actually made by "Trijicon"... Ameriglo sells these for about 30% under the Trijicon price so you can order them off the Ameriglo site, have them shipped to you and have a competent gunsmith install them... unless you have the proper tool to drift the site out you need to have it done by someone that knows what they are doing ... you can easily scratch up your weapon... just my advice...

Next time you are at the range or wherever you practice... put the lights out or step into a dark room and try to put your weapon on target.... if you don't have nite sights on your weapon, you will see why you may want to consider installation.

Just a little advice from an old fat bondsman... sometimes I try to give you good stuff...

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that , comes from bad judgment" "Will Rogers"

Post Posted: Wed 14 May 2014 08:52 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 1973
Experience: 3 - 5 years
Nice double barrel 45, but I wounder if it's a good shooter though.
If you don't pull both triggers and with only one ejection port how does it handle, will it only eject one shell and leave the other, eject both anyway, just some questions.
I guess you can answer them for me when you buy it. LOL

Regarding the bodyguard...have you seen the ruger lcp, also a small 380, if so what's your preference?
I have shot the bodyguard 38 revolver and that little thing kicks but I kind of like it although the handle is really small, which is why I was thinking of getting the semi auto bodyguard, but then I came across the lcp.

Dave
Private Investigator
Licensed by the NYS DOS Division of Licensing

Post Posted: Wed 14 May 2014 10:34 
in memoriam

Go to the video on the .45 double and you can see that it fires and ejects both, no problem.

As for the LCP vs. the Bodyguard.... my personal preference is the S&W... both are ok... I think the Bodyguard handles a little better... feels better and I think has a better trigger but that is my opinion...

BTW... I own both... shoot both and both have lazer sights.... I gave the LCP to my daughter and I keep the Bodyguard for carry if I have to tuck in my shirt... just put it in my pocket...

Image Image Image

Beretta M84.... and the LCP... and the Bodyguard... as you know, all three are .380's... the 84 is not so concealable however... but still a nice weapon (IMHO)

Understand, all this stuff is my opinion only and I am not by any means an expert on guns... and do not try to be... only telling you guys what I think... and you all know how that is............. we all have one... :oops: 8)

Let's put it like this... I have been married twice for a total of over 50 years and I have no clue what women are really like or think... so how can 50 years messing with guns be any different.... although probably a little easier to master...

Post Posted: Wed 14 May 2014 11:11 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Nice. I think the bodyguard will be my next 380.
Just putting my list together.
I want something in 9mm and a long rifle (shotgun, lever , or bolt)
One day in life I'll have a quarter of what you have Bill, then again probably not, maybe in my second life then.

Dave
Private Investigator

Post Posted: Thu 15 May 2014 12:23 
in memoriam

Dave, I am a collector, that does not make me an authority on anything... I know people that collect all sorts of stuff and have no clue what they are doing... just collect to be collecting...

You only need one quality weapon... just one... work with it, become proficient as much as you can even though you may never be presented with the opportunity to employ it in a defensive manner... and frankly, that is a good thing...

I have said this before and anyone that knows guns hopefully will agree with this simple thought...

"If a person can become trained and proficient with a .22 pistol... he will be better qualified to protect himself than if he has a .460 SVR Smith & Wesson that he is unable to not only shoot but control..."

and I will repeat this good quote, which I didn't author.... "... the only bad choice in guns, is the one you left at home"

... try them out, buy the largest caliber you can control and train with that... I like shooting my .44 Mag's but I am much more able to hit a target with my .380's and .40's... and those are the ones I carry.

Collecting guns is fun, but it won't do a thing to help you, if the safe is locked, when the bear comes in the front door.

You absolutely do not need a big bad gun to protect yourself... and that is the truth.

Post Posted: Thu 15 May 2014 15:20 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Good advise Bill
I carry a Glock 23 and IMHO am proficient enough at it, although I do like my defender better I just don't want to carry that and risk my 1K gun being held in a worst case scenario.
I want to collect more just to collect and have fun at the range, but let the reasonable side of me influence what I know is right..... YOU CANT AFFORD IT.
So I will settle for having at least one in various calibers.

BTW I almost tricked the wife to allowing me to buy that Double 45 until she saw the price, besides I don't think it'll be allowed here in NY anyway. Would have been a nice Father's Day gift.

Dave
Private Investigator

Post Posted: Thu 15 May 2014 16:02 
in memoriam

Quote:
I do like my defender better I just don't want to carry that and risk my 1K gun being held in a worst case scenario.

Dave, that is exactly why I carry my little Smith Shield... it is not overly expensive, it is a decent quality weapon, it is a very adequate caliber for defense, I can shoot it well and if lost or taken or confiscated in the worst case scenario... it would not be a total loss.

I do have some more expensive guns that I love to shoot but would not consider taking into the field... I just wouldn't want to take the chance...

Funny thing is... I also have some rather nice long guns.... most in large game calibers but the one that I have hunted with for the last 35 years and the one that goes out the door with me is also the least expensive rifle I own... a little old short barrel (18") model 788 Remington .308 with a little 2X7 Redfield wideview.... I even painted the cheap Birchwood stock with camo paint... but it is a tack driver and I have confidence in it out to at least 250 yds.... and although I have a couple of Browning shotguns... I still turkey hunt with one of the least expensive... a Winchester 'National Turkey Federation" 12 gauge... with a green laminated stock... and again, it never fails me... if I miss anything in the woods... it ain't the gun... it's the old man... :oops: :oops:

Post Posted: Thu 12 Jun 2014 15:45 
in memoriam

I wonder if anyone has ever considered a Derringer as a concealed carry weapon... defined basically as a small, palm size firearm developed by Henry Deringer (one R is the correct spelling) in the mid 19th century. Actually, for you history buffs, the 'Philadelphia Deringer' was used by Booth to assassinate Lincoln and here is a picture of same....

... anyway, I have always wanted to own a good quality derringer but have never been convinced that the ones available were of good enough quality to rely on... and I don't buy guns that are questionable... at least not knowingly... so..........

I have been looking at a company out of Texas, "Bond Arms"... and I must say, I am impressed with everything I have seen. They have a website that has many videos, pictures, testimonials and write ups.

http://bondarms.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Well, guess what.... yep.... while in Richmond today... I took a much closer look and bought one.... a Texas Defender in .38/.357; 3" barrel... which was not my first choice but you can buy different barrels/calibers that all fit the frames and you do not need an FFL to purchase the barrels online... the frame is what has the S/N and will accept any of 20 different barrels with 25 different caliber combinations... hows that for versatility??? I intend on getting a 2.5" .45ACP barrel, which is what I wanted but could not get so I purchased the gun with the .357/.38... of course, I will probably never put a .357 through it... +P.38 should be quite sufficient.

I will say this... I probably would not have this as my main carry weapon but it is a very nice, well made backup weapon... but I will very likely still carry my trusty .40 SW Shield. Check them out, I recommend this company.

My little pocket pistol... also, I do like the trigger guard which is usually not found on most Derringers... this also has a block safety and the barrel can be changed with a few twists of an allen wrench.

Post Posted: Fri 13 Jun 2014 13:40 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Don't know why the double post.
Delete please

Dave
Private Investigator

Last edited by BigDave on Fri 13 Jun 2014 13:42, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

FRN Forums » PUBLIC SECTION » Open Discussion