More about guns • PUBLIC SECTION • Open Discussion • Fugitive Recovery Network (FRN) Forums
FRN Banner
wordpress-ad

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post subject: Re: More about guns
 Post Posted: Thu 27 Nov 2014 09:41 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3828
Experience: More than 10 years
Keep the check and buy yourself something fun ! =) Im good here .. but thanks for the winning prize ! =)

NABBI Member

"Surprise Sex is the Best Thing to Wake up to, UNLESS, You are in Jail... "

Post Posted: Mon 01 Dec 2014 19:12 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 1474
OK.... here's another opinion piece... just an opinion...

I have hunted for a lot of years... with all sorts of weapons... pistols, rifles, shotguns, bows and crossbows of all makes, brands, types.... and even so, I do not profess to be an expert on any one... I am always learning and the greatest problem I have always had... is that I do not take advice easily... I try to listen but eventually I generally make up my own mind and often it is not what the rank and file go along with.... anyway...

I have hunted with black powder guns for a fairly long time... I was in the NSSA back in the 80's and shot with the then... "Richmond Rifles"... a Confederate group out of Richmond that went to shoots across the country and shot live rounds at targets... not to be confused with reenactment... although we did dress in the period, we actually fired live ammunition in the weapons at the meets we attended. We made our own bullets usually by melting wheel weights into molds, packed our powder and developed our loads usually from scratch... which made it lot more involved and exciting... my weapon at that time was a Springfield 58cal. 3 banded musket... which shot fairly good and was fun to work with... BTW, it was not an original... the lock and the bayonet were original but the barrel and stock were repo... I would not recommend shooting originals with modern black powder... again, my opinion ...

Also, that big knife on the right is referred to as an "Arkansas toothpick"... Karma probably has several of them in her kitchen drawer.... 8)

Image Image

... anyway... this one is hanging over my office computer... I actually hunted with this one and it did fine but it was heavy, cumbersome and difficult to get as accurate as I wanted...

From there I graduated to several different styles of black powder rifles including a few pistols... but this post is about hunting black powder rifles so....

I found a really nice Johnathan Browning .50 Cal.... percussion, and it shot like a modern firearm... in fact I won a little shoot with it in the early 90's... it really shot great but it is actually a very limited edition and I stopped using it except on limited hunts... it is in my gun case and probalby will not come out except to admire....

I then tried my hand at a nice flintlock rifle... that excursion lasted one hunting trip... I never could get used to pulling the trigger and waiting for the pan to fire which usually was a second or two after you pulled the trigger... very difficult to master, a least for me...

This nice Dixie Tennessee 50 Cal... is hanging over my TV in my office and that is where it will remain until my kids decide to remove it after I have been removed....

This brings me to the meat of this post.... actually, I just like talking and discussing guns so if your not intersted in all this crap, just go to another thread... I won't be upset... :roll: :shock: 8) :lol:

I have finally discovered what I believe to be one great little, inexpensive, very accurate and very durable black powder rifle that can do anything you want....

Several years ago I invested very little... I think less than $300... in what has turned out to be one great little gun...

A CVA, 50 Cal. black powder, muzzle-loader.... this one is called the "Wolf", they make more expensive versions with stainless barrels and all but this one has been great and not at all expensive...

I have fired it 4 times while hunting... I have never missed what I was aiming at and I attribute that success to the gun... I only aimed it and frankly... I have always used a forked stick or a rest and never tried to make a stupid running shot or at something unless I was damn sure I could take what I was aiming at....

3 deer and most recently a 350lb. black bear...

Image Image

That's my son and grandson with me... took all of us plus several others and a couple of big ATV's to get this one out of the woods... I was hunting pretty deep and was very thankful I had these two great hunters close by... I might still be in the woods trying to figure how to get this one out.... it was a great hunting experience... great memories with my boys...

That bear was about 60 yds. from me and I was presented what I would define as a quartering shot... I made a decent shot on him and he dropped immediately... I have always done my utmost to humanly kill whatever I was hunting.. I don't mind legally hunting and killing a game animal but I absolutely do not want them to run off and suffer a lingering death... without getting into all those discussions... we kill to eat but I try to do it humanly and quickly.... anyway.

I just wanted to commend CVA for producing a very well constructed firearm, it shoots every time, it is quite accurate... in fact I can put 3 out of 3 in a pack of cigarettes at about 100 yds. which is about as good as it gets... again, in my opinion...

I shoot 240 grain bullets with the plastic skirt on 100 grains of pyrodex or whatever quality powder happens to be available... I have found that the artificial powder burn a bit cleaner than regular black powder although not quite as volatile...

At around $300 complete with a decent scope... I don't think you can beat it...

I'll make one more related statement on these guns.... if and when (I say when) the sht hits the fan and we may find ourselves fending for ourselves, having a good black powder weapon... be it a pistol or rifle... could be a bit easier to maintain because of the ease of loading and not having to have a cartridge and all the components of a modern firearm... and ammunition for the modern weapons could get a bit difficult to obtain...as we have already seen... I would advise stocking up on a few pounds of powder and maybe a few hundred bullets,,, can be found cheap and available...

Well, that about does it on this thought.... comments welcome.

DCJS: 99-176979
Cell: 434-294-0222

"Endeavor to Persevere" "Lone Watie"

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that , comes from bad judgment" "Will Rogers"

Post Posted: Tue 02 Dec 2014 11:20 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 4013
I don't usually respond to most of the posts on this forum, but I really do enjoy reading yours. I just thought that you should know that...

Los Angeles, California
(323) 786-FIND

"Approach is Everything."

Post Posted: Fri 13 Mar 2015 18:18 
in memoriam

I appreciate that Jason.... my pros is not always pertinent to this site but I try and make it interesting... at least in my mind... I have a lot of interests and this site gives me a chance to talk my sht as they say...

As said over the years by those that know me (or think they know me... 8) ).... I have a lot of stories ... some of which are actually true... :shock: :roll:

Again, thanks for your kind words... :mrgreen:

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that , comes from bad judgment" "Will Rogers"

Post Posted: Mon 16 Mar 2015 07:14 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 0
Experience: 7 - 10 years
DISCLAIMER: Want to state this up front... this thread and any other threads I post on this site are based on my personal experiences and my opinions only...

My opinion is if you have ALOT more gun toys than me it make you the expert ; )

360 237 1721 efax
408 402 2710 work cell
DOI Bail Agent Lic 1844214
BSIS G1533544

Go hug a Tree

Post Posted: Thu 19 Mar 2015 10:50 
in memoriam

Mike... I'm not an expert on anything.... I do have a lot of opinions and I tend to express them rather loudly most of the time... but I also have a disclaimer... which I have posted many times and also in this thread... I won't bore you with its' content.

Mostly what it says is.............. "pay no attention to the man behind the curtain"................ :shock:

Post Posted: Wed 25 Mar 2015 01:27 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 0
Experience: 7 - 10 years
So wait is that you in the movie?

Attachments:
curtian.jpg
curtian.jpg [ 7.11 KiB | Viewed 78093 times ]

360 237 1721 efax
408 402 2710 work cell
DOI Bail Agent Lic 1844214
BSIS G1533544

Go hug a Tree

Post Posted: Sun 29 Nov 2015 19:55 
in memoriam

I post these pics and short write ups for those that might be considering purchasing something along these lines... I like talking guns and if your so inclined, I would appreciate your comments... if you have a few nice items, stick them on here and tell us about your opinions... that is how we learn... I like hearing other folks thoughts on guns... that is how I learn... and I need to keep on learning...

... so....

Picked up a couple of new toys... just trading a few I don't use for several that I have need for... I wanted... #1... a very good quality, reliable firearm in a semi-auto for deer hunting... I looked at a bunch... since I was trading a couple, the price wouldn't be an issue... I know I'm gonna get yelled at (YAK) but I actually traded an M1 Garand and an M1 .30 Carbine... please understand... the Garand was a very nice collectors item, but all it did was sit in my safe along with the Carbine... so I opted to trade for something I would use... besides, I didn't want to spend $1800 on this M1A (the going price most of the time) and I can get another Garand anytime I want for probably $800 to $1000.... although a very nice weapon... they are plentiful...

I came very close to getting a very nice full Camo Browning BAR in .270 but just couldn't get away from my .308... just really like this short action round for hunting... plus, I have a lot of ammo for it and not as much .270 stuff... also, I already have a nice lightweight .270 Remington BDL... which I never shoot anyway... so..........

The one I decided on was a very nice M1A Scout (M14) military style semi-auto in .308 (my favorite rifle caliber) IMHO one of the best all around calibers for about anything on the North American continent... although I might opt for a bit more if I was into Brown bears... however... I put a Red Dot on it initially but I think I will probably opt for a nice 3X9 40mm scope...

... the second was something I had been looking for over the years and just never found exactly what I wanted... anyway... Savage Arms, a reputable company that has been around since Christ was a corporal (pardon me... )... that was an accurate, medium priced, scoped .22 mag. bolt action... now Savage has never been a particularly expensive gun and some people think it is not on par with some of the better (matter of opinions) grade weapons... however, they are accurate and less expensive than many and this just happened to get my attention... very nice, full camo including the scope and rings and shoots MOA at 100 yds.... who could ask for more... BTW... the .22WMG produces a bit more energy at 100yds than the newer .17's... although not as fast... I just like it better... a very nice .22mag rifle to add to my collection...

Post Posted: Mon 30 Nov 2015 10:43 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3904
Dang it Bill, every time I convince myself I will not buy another firearm, you have to post something to make me feel "inadequate."

I just bought another 1,000 rounds of .223 from Cabelas and said that would be it and now you got me looking at hardware again.

I have several handguns a couple shotguns and 1 AR. Now I feel I need to get another rifle, maybe .308 or a larger just in case we have to skedaddle up to the Hideout and live off the land until the Zombie or terrorist invasion is over.

Do you know how hard it is to save up a hundred bucks here and there to have enough to sneek out and buy a new rifle? Then I have to hide it for months so the Boss doesn't see it.

Its like when women buy a new pair of shoes. They don't wear them right away and when we ask about them they say, "Oh I had these for months."

Thanks again Bill for making me break my promise not to buy any more guns!

Post Posted: Wed 02 Dec 2015 08:36 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 455
Bill

The Savage .22 you just purchased, was that from Green Top? I remember you looking at various .22s like a young man looks at cheerleaders, you know, with the druel out of the corner of your mouth!

Scott

"Leaders are like Eagles, you never see them in a flock, but one at a time"

Chesapeake Group Investigations, Inc.
Chesapeake Bail Bonds
877-574-0500
301-392-1100 (fax)
301-392-1900 (Office)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

FRN Forums » PUBLIC SECTION » Open Discussion