More about guns • PUBLIC SECTION • Open Discussion • Fugitive Recovery Network (FRN) Forums
FRN Banner
wordpress-ad

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next

Post subject: Re: More about guns
 Post Posted: Fri 13 Jun 2014 13:41 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 1973
Experience: 3 - 5 years
That looks very nice compared to what I have seen.
I agree with you regarding carry though, then again unless involved with multiple assailants (who might laugh when they see it) then two should be adequate and you can always have extra ammo.

Dave
Private Investigator
Licensed by the NYS DOS Division of Licensing

Post Posted: Thu 19 Jun 2014 08:20 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 1474
Experience: More than 10 years
Wow... I fired a few rounds through the Derringer yesterday.... only two .357's.... the rest were just 148G. semi-wad-cutters... which was fine in the recoil department... I absolutely recommend lighter .38's in this little cannon... of course, if you are of the John Wayne persuasion... go to it.... but I will not put another .357 through mine....

I also have a small Ruger SP101 hammerless in .357 and even that one is a bit rough with the big cartridge... I shoot .38+P's in that also....

These little carry weapons are great... my only recommendation is to get and shoot what you can handle... control and aim are much more important than the caliber... that is of course... my humble opinion.

Of course, and again... if you are a really rough and tough, macho man and are impressed with tottin' a big gun... you can always opt for something a bit larger.... if you believe.... "size matters".... like this...

Image Image

On the left is my custom .44 Thompson Center.... 14" mag-ported, trigger job, upgraded sights, nickle plated... very accurate out to maybe 100 yds. on the right is a Dan Wesson .44, 8" heavy/vented barrel... trigger job, mag-ported... actually killed a deer with it several years ago... when I could see a little better.... but I traded it for another gun recently.... I do things like that when I am not thinking clearly....

.. added later... "yes, that is a 'Fenway Park' Tshirt on the left, I have always liked the Red Socks and the Celtics".... and "no, that is not an Obama shirt I have on"... it may look like it but it actually says "Urbana Oyster Festival" and on the back it says.... quote... "Oysters, helping people get lucky since 1935"... I have no idea what that means??? :roll: :roll: :shock:

DCJS: 99-176979
Cell: 434-294-0222

"Endeavor to Persevere" "Lone Watie"

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that , comes from bad judgment" "Will Rogers"

Post Posted: Sat 21 Jun 2014 13:58 
in memoriam

Here's a neat little 'plinker' and small game rifle that you might want to consider for your short range, small game or just for fun gun.... a great little Ruger .22LR, known as the "10/22" because it incorporates a rotary magazine that holds 10 rounds... I like this particular one because it was sort of unique... with the 'Mannlicher' green laminated stock... I put a little 4X Nikon scope on it. it is a great little gun and is quite accurate out to and just over 100 yds. or more. It has been in continued production in various configurations since about 1964... it was also produced in .22MRF and also a very limited run in .17HMR but I have never seen one in that caliber, not sure if they ever had it in actual production. (PLEASE SEE BELOW, I JUST FOUND THIS ONLINE)

ADDED LATER:.... I just found this on one of the gun sites... a rather customized 10/22 with two barrels... one in .22MRF and the other in .17HMR.... up for bid with the current bid at just under $1500.... available... "buy now" for $1700... if your so inclined!!!!!

BTW... the standard version as shown above sells for far, far less and is quite reasonable starting around $300 up, depending on how you set it up. You can view more of this particular gun at the Ruger site... http://www.ruger.com/products/1022/index.html?r=y" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

If you wish to see some really unusual variations of this gun... click this link and scroll through the choices... run your cursor over the name and you can also click the link to the dealer out to the right.... http://www.ruger.com/products/1022DE/models.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that , comes from bad judgment" "Will Rogers"

Post Posted: Thu 10 Jul 2014 14:31 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 567
I am +currently visiting an old Army buddy that I served with over 25 years ago. She was an Army nurse and currently continues to serve us veterans as a nurse for the VA. She is also an avid gun collector and competitive shooter. I took a few photos in her gun room (sorry the photos aren't a very good quality) https://www.flickr.com/photos/rcphotogu ... otostream/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/rcphotoguy/14436257450/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/rcphotoguy/14642850933/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/rcphotoguy/14619681881/

And this is barely a third of her collection!

Told her I was going to marry her!!

Post Posted: Fri 11 Jul 2014 15:39 
in memoriam

Tell her to turn the flash on so we can see these better.... I see some nice pieces here.... and we know who that is in the black cowboy hat and his sidekick on your right.... yep, good ole Louis Padilla.... been around a while... he's almost as crazy as me... although a lot more famous.... which is fine... I do not aspire to be recognized outside my little realm... 8)

Post Posted: Sat 12 Jul 2014 18:27 
in memoriam

In Virginia, as a licensed bail bondsman and/or/also a licensed PI... you have to have a CCW for each position... and since I am also a Virginia citizen... I also have a private CCW for the state... I don't think you necessarily need all three but I don't like to take any chances on my legality... so, I have all 3... anyway...

I have to re-certify each year for the two DCJS licenses... just to make sure I have a basic level of ability and so the state can get a few more bucks out of us starving bondsmen and/or PI's...

At my age (that has a lot to do with what I am about to say here)... I often use myself as an example of not only "what to do" but often "what not to do"... I am old enough that I can laugh at myself and I am not hung up on trying to be a "macho/manly rough and tough guy"... like all us men sometimes do when we are young and trying to impress everyone (mostly the girls... or guys if you swing that way?? :roll: )

Anyway... I just wanted to try and give a bit more of my "free" advice... as usual, it is worth every penny...

This week, as said, I did a recert' on my gun classes for my CCW permits... to that end I thought I would offer a bit of insight.

Here is the main target I shot during the class... I do not profess to be a good shot... only able to hit what I aim at when it is in a fairly close range... which is what CCW is pretty much about...

First weapon I used was a 9mm Beretta PX4 Storm/full size... I have found this gun to be a good shooter and the 9mm is not too difficult to handle... in other words, I shoot it fairly well... at least well enough to qualify for the license. Paper targets are pretty easy... they don't usually shoot back so it really only shows that you can handle the gun under ideal conditions... real life scenarios are a different thing... of course, you should already realize that...

We shot 60 rounds at 7, 10 and 15 yds... which equates to 21, 30 and then 45 ft.... which with a pistol is about all I really care about... if whatever I need to shoot at is further away than that... I will just go in the other direction... as quickly as I can move... :roll:

At 7 yds. I ate the center up... at 10 I spread a bit and then at 15 a bit more... but this also included firing with my weak hand also, so all in all I suppose I did ok... this also included some "low light" firing... which again... I spread out on ... but managed to do fair...

These were all 9mm and to that end, I want to provide the lesson.

Here is the "head" portion of the same target... which I changed up to a .40 S&W/M&P Shield...

Note the difference in the spread of these rounds... this was at 10 yds... a measly 30ft... and it brings out what I want to talk about. I was pulling that .40 Smith to the left and down when I fired... obvious from the holes... I was anticipating the shot... which is what you want to try not to do............ anyway...

There is a marked difference in recoil and handling between these two calibers and guns... and here is the lesson...

The 9mm Beretta is a full size weapon and as such, in this caliber, is quite controllable... FOR ME...

The .40 M&P Shield is a much smaller, lighter weapon and the .40 IMHO has a harder recoil than even the .45... again, that is my opinion but I think it points out a thought here...

The .40 is of course a larger round and as such produces a bit more downrange power than the 9mm... "foot pounds or energy" but in the final analysis... the difference in the caliber is probably not enough to make a real difference in the end result... I carry the .40 but use the 9 to qualify with ... that is very likely a big mistake...

Lesson one: qualify and practice with the gun you carry...
Lesson two: try out different guns and calibers and stick with the one you can control and hit your target accurately and do not be fooled by someone telling you that you need a big gun and caliber to "get the job done".

The vast majority of us are not "Navy Seals" or Marine "Recon"... most of us are just regular people who wish to carry a concealed weapon for protection... at least most of us...

And that is all I wanted to point out here... as much as I shoot, it is readily and easily seen that I can shoot that 9mm much more accurately than the .40... I need to practice..

... and as I always say... "do not over estimate your skills"... practice with the largest weapon you can accurately handle... even a small .22 that you can shoot accurately is better than the "big ole gun" that you can not shoot well....

... and remember............ PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE............

I actually was sort of proud of myself on this one.... although I am certainly no sharpshooter... I did manage put all but 8 or 9 out of the 60 rounds in the 9 plus.... which computed to 295 score out of 300.... but of course, and as said... the target was paper and did not shoot back... and I had an AC blowing on me from behind and I got to sit down and rest every once in awhile.... oh... and afterwards I got to go to Ruby Tuesdays and have a cold drink with my buddies and talk about how macho we were... and what bad azzes we were... I just smiled and kept quiet because I knew I couldn't shoot my way out of a paper bag.... 8) 8) :roll: :roll: :shock: Image

Post Posted: Sun 13 Jul 2014 07:28 
in memoriam

changed a few things around..... by author...

Post Posted: Thu 31 Jul 2014 10:27 
in memoriam

More on the Bond Arms derringer...

Ordered another set of grips, installed today.... much easier to control heavier calibers and looks great... being from Texas, I sort of like the "star" insert... 8) 8)

Also, ordered another barrel.... if you buy a gun this month, you can get another barrel for 1/2 off... I ordered a .45 long Colt, 2.5" barrel for only $62.00 and that was with shipping and tax.... terrific deal....

Image Image

Stock gun on left, extended grips on right... 3" barrel... gonna put the .45 LC 2.5" barrel on... should give me a little smaller... "hand cannon"

I RECOMMEND THIS GUN TO ANYONE WANTING A MEDIUM PRICED, CC WEAPON... BACKUP... BACKUP...

I would probably still recommend a weapon with a bit more firepower as in capacity but this is a great, well made backup piece..... of course... this is as usual... my opinion only.

Post Posted: Tue 05 Aug 2014 01:51 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 0
Experience: 7 - 10 years
Just bought a Sig P238 today. Haven't had a pocket gun in a long time. Looking forward to taking it for a range day.

360 237 1721 efax
408 402 2710 work cell
DOI Bail Agent Lic 1844214
BSIS G1533544

Go hug a Tree

Post Posted: Wed 06 Aug 2014 20:31 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 455
Bill,
I have that same Derringer with both barrels, .357 and .45 LC in the presentation box made by Texas Arms, who I believe is out of business. we need to get together to see if there is any difference in these two.

Incidentally, it is Leonard Padilla, not Louis, but I don't mean to be critical.

Scott

"Leaders are like Eagles, you never see them in a flock, but one at a time"

Chesapeake Group Investigations, Inc.
Chesapeake Bail Bonds
877-574-0500
301-392-1100 (fax)
301-392-1900 (Office)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next

FRN Forums » PUBLIC SECTION » Open Discussion