New York application- BEA/PI • PUBLIC SECTION • Open Discussion • Fugitive Recovery Network (FRN) Forums
FRN Banner
wordpress-ad

Post subject: New York application- BEA/PI
 Post Posted: Mon 16 Jan 2012 18:12 
in memoriam

FRN Agency ID #: 1474
Experience: More than 10 years
For some reason, it seems a lot of people are interested in becoming licensed in New York state as a PI or BEA... well, look no further, here is the link and the form for application of same.

I posted this thread to simply show anyone interested in this industry how easy it is to find this info if you have the serious interest to do so. If a fat old retired trucker, pushing 70 with bad eyesight and a 9th grade education who happens to be an old country bondsman, can find this stuff... I have no doubt that you newbies can do it much easier..... so go to it..... Good luck... 8)

http://www.dos.ny.gov/licensing/bailage ... agent.html

and the .pdf form:
Attachment:
NewYork-Application-PI-BEA.pdf [407.62 KiB]
Downloaded 820 times

So, just read and go from there... all questions are answered on the site or in the application. No interpretation needed. No need to search around... here it is.

I believe every state that requires licensing has the same info online... for the most part... it took me all of 5 minutes to locate this info and you can do the same... just run a search for state bail recovery laws or something similar and you will have it.

You can even fill it out online and the fees for all sorts of licenses are on these sites also.

Search and ye shall find.

DCJS: 99-176979
Cell: 434-294-0222

"Endeavor to Persevere" "Lone Watie"

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that , comes from bad judgment" "Will Rogers"

Post subject: Re: New York application- BEA/PI
 Post Posted: Mon 16 Jan 2012 18:31 
in memoriam

Hey... here is New Jerseys info page, along with links to applications and info...

http://www.njsp.org/about/pd-bounty-hunters.html

all I did was change the search engine from 'New York' bail recovery laws to 'New Jersey'... and that is about as simple as it gets... just trying to provide a bit of insight as to how to search and find the things you need to know for your pursuit of your entering this profession.

This is important.... GET YOUR INFORMATION FROM THE STATE WEBSITES... DO NOT TAKE THE WORD OF A THIRD PARTY WEBSITE... GO DIRECTLY TO THE STATE WEBSITE FOR CORRECT INFO.

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that , comes from bad judgment" "Will Rogers"

Post Posted: Mon 16 Jan 2012 21:01 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 3077
Experience: 5 - 7 years
Now Bill how am I ever going to be able to count myself in the ranks of the greats here if you do all my work for me?!! lol
I am interested because it is my chosen profession from Tn. and they will not transfer my credentials here no matter how much I ask them to!! lmao
Do not get me wrong Bill I do appreciate the short cut and will use it!! Thanks for posting the link

Cell:(931)551-5020

Post Posted: Tue 17 Jan 2012 05:18 
in memoriam

Jayc4929 wrote:
Now Bill how am I ever going to be able to count myself in the ranks of the greats here if you do all my work for me?!!

I was researching NY laws cause I was fixin to head up there... and I happened across that sight and figured since I might provide a bit of helpful info to someone on here... of course, YOU being from Tennessee and all.... I know how us country boys are... we can drive fast, fight and make corn liquor... but we have trouble reading... :lol: :oops: so I figured I'd be a 'good ole boy' and help you out... hope this helped you and others.... maybe somebody...

... sometimes the newbies on here seem to have trouble figuring things out and I just wanted to let them know that if I can do it........... they certainly can... :shock:

Post Posted: Tue 17 Jan 2012 10:17 
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 0
Experience: < 1 year
Hello,

NY is a tough one to get a bail enforcement license. Unless you have worked for a company else where and can show you have 3 years experience in form pay stubs and a broken down man hour report from the company you worked for. It is next to impossible. To qualify you can also be a police officer or fire marshal or security for 20 years and you qualify as well.

You are most likely better off going for a PI license. Same rules apply but under a PI license you can do PI work, bail bonding and fugitive recovery. With just a fugitive recovery license thats all you can do.

The state of NY does not recognize any military time. So it doesnt matter if you are a combat vet or not, it just does not apply.

Secondly you must attend a NYS approved 25hr course. There is a list of companies who NY says can teach you the 25 hr class. I have placed the link below.

http://www.dos.ny.gov/licensing/bailage ... tqual.html

If you do not use one of the approved companies you will need to get a breakdown of your 25 hrs on company letterhead from whom you took the class with. Then you need to send this to the NYS department of education where they can approve the course you took and then and only then can you apply for a license.

Initially I was working on getting a Bail enforcement license but as time goes on I have decided to get a PI licnese instead. The only issue in NY is getting your foot in the door. When I was looking for work as a FRA I could not get to speak with anyone at a bailbond company. They all have glass walls as soon as you walk in so the best you can do is drop off a resume and hope someone calls you. I have been to all 20 bail bondsman twice on long island here with no luck. You basically need to know someone to get into the business.

So currently I have been looking for a private investigator to work for but have struck out there as well for the moment. I will keep looking and learning as I go, one day something will come my way. Thank you, and have a great day.

Looking for a mentor to give me a foot in the door to this business. Prior Military-US Army- expert marksmam. BHTA training acadamy. ATFE licensed Pyrotechnician; and one hell of a guy. Give me a chance and I'll give you 150% of myself. Will travel in tri state area for this opportunity.

PM for Contact info

Post Posted: Wed 18 Jan 2012 05:30 
in memoriam

Eric, that was an excellent post and very informative, I am sure anyone in NY will find it very helpful.

Keep plugging and continue to stay in contact with others in this industry. It is a very closed and 'clickish' occupation and as you say... requires "knowing" someone in order to "get your foot in the door."

This is one of the main reasons I and others on this site, have always said to maintain multiple streams of income. It is extremely difficult to break into this business, regardless of your training and background and sometimes it takes years to open those doors.

This website is one of the best ways to get to know others and let them know who and what you are about. New members that come on here and simply "ask" for a job are not going to get to first base... it just isn't gonna happen unless you can approach prospective employers "face to face". Phone calls, post cards, mass mailings and similar forms of contact just will not open doors and IMHO is wasted effort. "In person, face to face" is the only way to go and even then it will probably take several or more contacts... keep pluggin, your appearance, your demeanor, your presentation and your persistence is what it takes.

Thanks again and good luck.

Post Posted: Wed 18 Jan 2012 14:04 
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Hello All,

Thank you Speezack for your input. Any and all input is greatly appreciated and valued. I do make sure when I go to any office I am dressed in dress pants and a polo shirt. I have an excellent resume and present myself very well I believe. All will work out I am sure. Just have to be in the right place at the right time I guess.

I did recieve a PM from someone named tcopple78. It came to my eamail associated with this account and not in my inbox on here. I did a search and could not find them on here, but it does say it was a PM from here. I was unable to respond so please try to email me again so we can talk. I am located on Long Island NY and am willing to travel the tristate area. Thank you.

Looking for a mentor to give me a foot in the door to this business. Prior Military-US Army- expert marksmam. BHTA training acadamy. ATFE licensed Pyrotechnician; and one hell of a guy. Give me a chance and I'll give you 150% of myself. Will travel in tri state area for this opportunity.

PM for Contact info

Post Posted: Thu 19 Jan 2012 18:48 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

FRN Agency ID #: 1973
Experience: 3 - 5 years
tcopple78 - Intro section "New in Kansas."

As far as NY is concerned Bill is correct with the provided information.
The problem is that NYS has the laws written to have a BEA license, but hasn't ever granted a BEA license......as far as I know.
As Eric has stated you need the verifiable experience, you have to get a 25 hour training certification prior to applying for the BEA license, obtain the 500k bond and send the application packet in with the fees and fingerprints.
BTW Eric as I have emailed you before, for me the work is not even crawling by. I'm pretty much almost at a stand still. Hopefully it'll pick up this year. Your right it is a who knows who world not just in NY but everywhere. Some bonds persons are ex LE and do their own recoveries and some have their own people in place. Sometimes you have to keep pushing and get that foot in. I even heard from a company that they don't go after the skips, they just collect on the indemnitors.
As far as other PI companies go, some don't do BE even though they can.

Many people believe that by obtaining the 25 hour cert they are licensed to do BE here in NY, but that is far from the truth.
You are supposed to be licensed as a BEA or PI or be the bonds person......again as far as I know.
I say supposed to be because the problem here is that the majority of the LE I encounter themselves aren't very knowledgeable of the laws and when they encounter BEA they assume they are good to go and allow them to proceed, sometimes even assisting them not aware that they are supposed to be licensed.
I have attempted to guide the few I have encountered but they still continue anyway, some of which seemed to be very capable of doing a great job in this industry and all I can say is good luck.This also reflects back to the bondsman they are getting work from. Either the bonds person doesn't know that they are supposed to be licensed, the bonds person thinks or assumes the person is licensed correctly, or they just don't care (Maybe because that person gets the job done, which is the bottom line for some.).

Dave
Private Investigator
Licensed by the NYS DOS Division of Licensing

Post Posted: Thu 19 Jan 2012 20:25 
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Excellent post Dave. You hit the nail on the head. Thank you.

PM for Contact info

Post Posted: Fri 20 Jan 2012 08:39 
in memoriam

Quote:
I say supposed to be because the problem here is that the majority of the LE I encounter themselves aren't very knowledgeable of the laws and when they encounter BEA they assume they are good to go and allow them to proceed, sometimes even assisting them not aware that they are supposed to be licensed.

I have been saying this for years.... "The rule of thumb in this business is............ there is no rule of thumb!"

Everything depends on the person you come up against, whether it be a patrolman, a detective, a court clerk, a lawyer or a high court judge... each has his own rules and interpretations and frankly... it does not matter what the truth is or the code says or the law is.... it all depends on the person you are in front of... that is good advice. remember it... you may be in the right but that is not always the deciding factor at the moment.

another little saying is................ "just because it's right, don't make it right!"

oh, and one other thing... I have a copy of the state code as it pertains to my business dealings... that is always a helpful addition to your paperwork... and even when presented with the code... often it is simply tossed aside... I have had judges tell me... the code is open to interpretation???!!!! "REALLY????? Ghee... I thought the state code was the law.... written and implemented... and frankly, judges often make their own rules and laws... you may win out in the long run but it may take a lot of time and money to win your case... this is an ongoing situation that occurs in many courts across our great country...

"Judges often legislate from the bench rather than enforce laws from the bench" but don't say I said so... :oops:

FRN Forums » PUBLIC SECTION » Open Discussion